Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
I have had a few instances recently where Finder hogs nearly all of the system resources, taking 70%+ CPU just like Explorer does at times in Windows.

Any ideas as to what causes this? How to stop it?
I can stop it by Quitting Finder and then relaunching it, but that is nothing more than a temp solution. Help please....

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Hmm... are you leaving any movies open for preview? or is there a folder full of images with preview turned on, with images constantly being added?

I can't really think of anything that would make the Finder go nuts like that... all I can suggest is:

#1: Fix your permissions :)p)
#2: Trash the Finder prefs

efoto

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
iindigo said:
Hmm... are you leaving any movies open for preview? or is there a folder full of images with preview turned on, with images constantly being added?

I can't really think of anything that would make the Finder go nuts like that... all I can suggest is:

#1: Fix your permissions :)p)
#2: Trash the Finder prefs

There are folders full of images, not sure if preview is turned on or not (does that just mean when the images are on the desktop you actually see the image, not a base file image?), and I am adding to folders on the desktop for images as I work (mostly in PSCS).

I have tried permissions already, seemingly little effect. If I trash the Finder prefs, then it just resets to factory default correct?

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
efoto said:
There are folders full of images, not sure if preview is turned on or not (does that just mean when the images are on the desktop you actually see the image, not a base file image?), and I am adding to folders on the desktop for images as I work (mostly in PSCS).

I have tried permissions already, seemingly little effect. If I trash the Finder prefs, then it just resets to factory default correct?

If the icons for your images are the images themselves, then yes - preview is turned on. It shouldn't have any affect on memory use unless you have that folder open all the time. Try closing the folder, then continuing normal use, and see if the memory usage is still the same.

And yes, trashing the Finder prefs will make most things go back to default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.