1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Finder Maxing Out RAM

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by arexlame, May 26, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I'm brand new to the forums guys, sorry if I'm reposting something that has been discussed.

I have a 1TB external drive, have had it for a year and have been using it fine with my Retina MBP. This arvo I went to use it, and I plugged it in and went about my business and next minute, I get a 'No memory warning, please force quit applications'.

A quick trip to activity monitor and the finder's using 5.73GB!!!

Has anybody heard of this at all, or know what could be causing this? Even when I try to open my drive, it shows an empty drive.

Thanks again

2. macrumors 603

justperry

Restart will resolve this.

How much memory do you have, does your Mac get slow sometimes, if so more RAM would solve this.

Oh, are there pageouts?

3. macrumors newbie

I can resolve the issue by pulling out the drive and relaunching finder, but even after a full three restarts, nothings changed..

It's got 8gb, and it never runs slow at all..

4. macrumors 603

justperry

Ah, Ok, maybe the drive is corrupt, check the drive in Disk Utility, repair if necessary.

5. macrumors newbie

So after trying that, disk utility says that the drive can't be unmounted.. Is the drive screwed?

6. macrumors 603

justperry

No, when it says it can't unmount the drive it is in use, what are you using it for right now, a TimeMachine backup, if so turn of TimeMachine first and retry.

7. macrumors newbie

Oh okay, so it's not open by anything. I don't use time machine so it's turned off, and the only thing that's open on my mac is finder and disk utility.

Interestingly; it does the exact same thing on my snow leopard iMac, but works perfectly on a Windows 7 PC..

8. macrumors 603

justperry

That's why I think it needs a repair.

Do the following:

You need to quit the finder but this needs a "hack"
    Open Terminal and add the following line, just copy from here:

defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool true

killall Finder

After done the above click on the Finder Menu and quit the Finder, next open Disk Utility and try again.

9. macrumors newbie

Oh wow, that's solved it!

After running the terminal command, and leaving every other application closed, disk utility ran its repair happily.

Thankyou so much for your time, you're a life saver!

10. macrumors 603

justperry

:D:D

Glad it is solved.
    What I think it was is that the drive was having errors, the Finder then stalled on the drive.

11. macrumors 68020

Make sure you have another automated scheduled backup utility, or I can guarantee you'll be back here asking how to recover deleted/corrupted files.