Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
I've been downloading a few things from Safari today and once they've downloaded, the icon does not change from being the Safari file type to, say an mpeg or jpeg icon. Clicking on the file makes it vanish, then usually the file appears - but not always.

I was copying a whole load of files to an external HD and the same thing happened, the only difference being that the folder I dragged over, it's icon disappeared and when you clicked on the folder - it vanished. A restart solved that, but it's still a bit odd!

I've just finished editing some photos in CS3 Beta, saved them all onto the dekstop. The folder is not viewable from within the Finder or a Finder window, but is viewable when saving and browsing directories is CS3!

Do I need to rebuild my desktop? Booting from DVD and running Disk Utility on disk and permissions did nothing....

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
When the files "disappear", can you see them in Terminal? What happens if you Relaunch Finder?
I had a similar experience on my MBP, but a simple reboot fixed that, and I haven't had issues since.

My folder since appeared after quitting CS3. I'll try in the Terminal. They should exist as the Save dialogs see the folder, the Finder will not display them though.

Freakofnature

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2007
Same Issue

I have this exact same issue. And I think it may have started after I installed bootcamp and partitioned the drive to run xp as well. But I can't be certain.

Another problem I have is the INTERNET CONNECT icon that should always be in the menu bar, dissapears of its own accord as well. I have to relaunch the programme and tick the Show Modem Status In Menu Bar box every time I start my Mac. A real pain in the ass.

If anyone can provide the reasons or answers or even questions that might point towards the cause and or solution of these issues, I'd love to hear about it.

As in the above popsts, by relaunching the finder I am able to see the new files on the desktop, otherwise thety appear to be hidden.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
I may have isolated when this happening...

I use Private Browsing infrequently in Safari, but the last two times I've used it and downloaded files, specifically torrents, they appear in the Finder as Safari files - they don't 'update' to the torrent files they should be. Clicking on them makes them disappear. If you go back to the Download list in Safari and click the magnifying glass to show the downloaded files, they then appear!

I'm also having a bizarre clock issue where an hour is added. It doesn't matter if Apple Time Server is selected or not, it just constantly tries to add an hour.

I really don't want to have to reinstall OSX again - I did it about a month ago.

Freakofnature

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2007
I cant isolate it becuase it does not only happen in Safari. It happens in quite a few programes when saving to the desktop.

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
i logged in to post the same problem myself ..

i dont see my downloaded files on desktop (using safari and firefox) i dont see extracted files on my desktop from .sitx/.rar/.zip archives ...

although i can see them using terminal .. OR if i 'show hidden files' using onyx and then hiding them again ...

using 10.4.9 .. and i certainly dont want to re-install os x again either (if i did i wouldnt do the 10.4.9 update).. have done that twice since january ..

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
A mate of mine has noticed this problem on his MacBook, since he got it. I've had the problem only once. Relaunching Finder usually fixes it, but it's a pain. BTW, we both have Boot Camp.

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
yes, relaunching Finder does fix the problem ... but the problem comes back after every reboot ..

Freakofnature

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2007
I'd like to add one more observation to the list.

* Unzipping or unraring ect 'hides" the unzipped files.
* Downloading a file from Safari also hides the files.
* Deleting the trash on occasion will result in a sound effect, but no action. I have not checked to see if the files are in fact deleted, but somehow seem to think they are still there. I'll do so the next time this occurs.

I am running OS X 10.4.9

fotofinish

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2006
Leeds, UK
I think Boot Camp may be the common problem here?

I too have to relaunch Finder in order to see downloaded files (using Firefox). I also experience the clock adding an hour. Both these issues only arose after installing Vista under Boot Camp.

Freakofnature

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2007
Can we try to confirm the abopve comment?

Who here is running bootcamp that has this problem?

I for one am and do.

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006

* Deleting the trash on occasion will result in a sound effect, but no action. I have not checked to see if the files are in fact deleted, but somehow seem to think they are still there. I'll do so the next time this occurs.

I am running OS X 10.4.9

I am having 'exactly' the same problems ..

and yes, I am using the updated bootcamp and vista home premium edition as my second OS

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005

I am running OS X 10.4.9

I have these too. With the last one, the files are deleted, but this is only noticeable if you try to click on them in the trash. They disappear off the screen.

I'm using Boot Camp with Windows XP on my MacBook. It's been happening since before 10.4.8.

ochoalmocho

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2007
Italy
I have these too. With the last one, the files are deleted, but this is only noticeable if you try to click on them in the trash. They disappear off the screen.

I'm using Boot Camp with Windows XP on my MacBook. It's been happening since before 10.4.8.

Same here.

- Download from Safari hides files
- unzip hides files on desktop
- trash sounds but files list inside... but if clicked they disappear
- time sorted after 20-30" when reboot after winXP use

iMac (10.4.9) - Bootcamp (winXP)

I got a MBP with the same configuration (Tiger + WinXP), but never use WIN and NO PROBLEM on Tiger.... so I think it happens on restart after usign windows in bootcamp (??)

Bye

iShak

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
^ ahan ... that seems to be the culprit at the moment ...

this is what i do .. press option key and then click and hold Finder icon on the dock .. from the menu chose relaunch finder ...

yoavcs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Israel
Confirmed Boot Camp related bug. I've had this ever since I first installed Boot Camp.

I have reported it to Apple.

m1ss1ontomars

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2006
Confirmed Boot Camp related bug. I've had this ever since I first installed Boot Camp.

I have reported it to Apple.

Did you mean that you got problems after installing just the Boot Camp Assistant, or did you mean you got the problems after installing Windows as well?

I may have had this problem too. But I can't be sure, as I consistently attributed it to either bad memory or too much icon clutter.

Freakofnature

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2007
I believe the errors really become more prominant right after a windows boot. One then boots back into OS X and experiences these bugs. I have found restarting from OS X back into OS X helps.

yoavcs

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Israel
Bug details

Got the bug finally pin-pointed and reproducible:

It has to do with differing system clocks under Windows and OS X.

If you boot into Windows and Windows is set to update your system clock, it will mess up with the Finder upon booting back into OS X: the system clock goes 'into the future', and Finder has the 'missing files' problems until a reboot/Finder relaunch.

Solution is to disable Windows' updating of your system clock (from the Control Panel).

I have reported this to Apple.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2004
Got the bug finally pin-pointed and reproducible:

It has to do with differing system clocks under Windows and OS X.

If you boot into Windows and Windows is set to update your system clock, it will mess up with the Finder upon booting back into OS X: the system clock goes 'into the future', and Finder has the 'missing files' problems until a reboot/Finder relaunch.

Solution is to disable Windows' updating of your system clock (from the Control Panel).

I have reported this to Apple.

I get the time issue also. I just booted from Windows to OSX and my clock is an hour ahead. Well spotted, I guess that could very well be it...let's hope Leopard solves this! Thanks Yoavcs!

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
The reason why the clocks are different are because Mac system clocks are set to GMT and OS X converts. PC Real-time clocks are usually set to local time, because Windows doesn't convert.

Good find yoavcs!

Freakofnature

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2007
Address Book is corrupted by Data after Windows Boot

I have another issue with bootcamp. After running a Windows session and I reboot back to OS X, I find that my contacts in my OS X Address Book have either been "influenced" by the address book in Windows, or at least corrupted by the process.

Anyone else notice this?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.