Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fernandosm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
I work on a Dual 2.7 Ghz PowerPC G5 and the finder relaunchs itself at least 3 times a day. Any body has any idea why?? I'm on a network with other G5s and interchange files all the time. Could it be something with the network?? It's not a big deal but it's jusy annoying
:confused:

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Network bottlenecks can freeze Finder although I find this quite uncommon on purely wired networks (slightly more common on large file transfers over wireless networks). How does it re-launch? Do you re-launch it or does it actually re-launch itself? If you create a new user account, does it happen there too? What exactly are you doing when it re-launches? Sorry for all the questions but hopefully we can get this sorted. :)

fernandosm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
I work on Photoshop and Quarck files all day ,retouching and color correcting, the files are usually not larger than 30 MB. It never relauches while on the application but when I'm in between jobs. When it relaunches I just rearrange all the icons the way i had them and continue working

Sherman Homan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
When it relaunches I just rearrange all the icons the way i had them and continue working

Ah ha!
Toss the com.apple.finder.plist file.
Reboot, arrange your desktop icons, reboot.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It stores your customised settings for Finder. You don't have to delete it but dragging it to the Trash (without emptying) and rebooting should have the same effect. A new default version of this file will be created in its place which will mean you'll lose your customised settings in Finder. However, if it is this file that is corrupt then your problem might be fixed too. If it doesn't work and you can't be bothered re-customising your Finder manually, you can drag the file back from the Trash and into the folder you found it in (Preferences), replace the new one, reboot and continue on like nothing has changed. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.