Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martin29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Quimper, France
I am running the latest public beta version of 10.10.

My finder sidebar is currently showing multiple versions of my shared Macbook Air i.e.. Air; Air(1); Air(2)..Air (12)

I only have one shared Air and this is a new issue.

Is anyone else experiencing this? If so do you have a solution?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I did see some posts with others having the same problem, but I don't recall anybody finding a solution. Looks like a bug.

rokko101

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2014
Hi there.

I had the same issue with my Mac Mini using 2 Airport express base stations.

My solution: Cycle power your base stations... that was an instant solution to my problem.

Let me know if it works.

Bye.

MCSN

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
Kayenta
same issue

I'm having the same issue with iMac and shared devices.

i posted a recent thread, since I hadn't seen this one in a search until after posting. I wasn't sure how to write a question for this. But yah, same issue.

Someone said something about NAT, will I mess everything up if I turn off the NAT?

lpb

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
Sweden

Attachments

• file_sharing_on.png
    file_sharing_on.png
    96.6 KB · Views: 706

smoroz

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
Sleep & AppleTV or Synology

It appears to be a combination of 2 things. Firstly it is when the Yosemite machine wakes from sleep and thinks there is another machine with the same IP address on the network. The machine name gets changed, adding (1) (2) etc.

Then it appears that another box on the network, in my case it was an AppleTV, has cached those names. Rebooting the AppleTV got rid of all the duplicates.

I have heard that perhaps removing any static IP addressing on a router may resolve the sleep issue, but I have not tried that yet myself. Now that I have gotten rid of all the duplicates I will see if the problem comes back.

I have also heard that Synology boxes cause the same problem by cacheing the names.

Stacy

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
It appears to be a combination of 2 things. Firstly it is when the Yosemite machine wakes from sleep and thinks there is another machine with the same IP address on the network. The machine name gets changed, adding (1) (2) etc.

Then it appears that another box on the network, in my case it was an AppleTV, has cached those names. Rebooting the AppleTV got rid of all the duplicates.

I have heard that perhaps removing any static IP addressing on a router may resolve the sleep issue, but I have not tried that yet myself. Now that I have gotten rid of all the duplicates I will see if the problem comes back.

I have also heard that Synology boxes cause the same problem by cacheing the names.

Stacy

Interesting. I have two Synology servers on my network running two new Airport Extreme Base Stations (one in bridge mode). Regarding Static IP's, it is essential to assign servers and desktop systems with a constant static IP, especially if you access your systems via VPN or BTMM. I stopped assigning static IP's to mobile devices a long time ago as it's easier for the router to address the issue (no pun intended). ;)

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
I'm also having this issue, not with multiple shared versions of a computer appearing on the sidebar, but with my computer name changing all the time:

Computer
Computer (2)
Computer (4)

etc.

I bring my computer home from work, open the lid, and it thinks there is another computer with the same name on the network, and it renames itself to compensate.

en1 duplicate IP address 10.0.1.3 sent from address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Started happening with Yosemite, 2009 MBP on an Airport Time Capsule with pretty standard settings.

The reason this is a pain is that my iPhone will be set to sync over Wifi with my laptop, but it will not work because its looking for "Computer" instead of "Computer (2)"

Grr

surroundfan

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I had this issue too with my rMBP .

It looks to be an issue with DHCP because I was also unable to set a static address, my router was not recognising the MAC address of the rMBP's wireless and assigning another IP and I was getting lots of 'Another device is using the address ....' error messages when I tried setting the static IP address manually in the Mac.

I nuked the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder and rebooted. Since then, no more problems, with only one instance of my rMBP in shared devices list and I can set a static IP...

Frits48

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
I'm also having this issue, not with multiple shared versions of a computer appearing on the sidebar, but with my computer name changing all the time:

Computer
Computer (2)
Computer (4)

etc.

I bring my computer home from work, open the lid, and it thinks there is another computer with the same name on the network, and it renames itself to compensate.

en1 duplicate IP address 10.0.1.3 sent from address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Started happening with Yosemite, 2009 MBP on an Airport Time Capsule with pretty standard settings.

The reason this is a pain is that my iPhone will be set to sync over Wifi with my laptop, but it will not work because its looking for "Computer" instead of "Computer (2)"

Grr

Exactly the same here, quite a nuisance...

studentx

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
OSX is the source of the problem.

Turn off all of the "Services" under "Sharing" in the OS X Control Panel to resolve the issue until Apple issues an update.

... then restart all of your Apple devices.

studentx

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
OSX is the source of the problem.

Turn off all of the "Services" under "Sharing" in the OS X Control Panel to resolve the issue until Apple issues an update.

... then restart all of your Apple devices.

I later used ONYX 2.9 which discovered that the sharing plist was damaged.

"/Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.sharing.plist"

I deleted the plist and enabled all of the "Services" under "Sharing" in the OS X Control Panel.

So far that seems to have fixed the problem. Still testing.

Note: I did not need to use any of the other solutions in this thread.

Last edited:

arekarlsen

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2014
I rebooted my Airport Time Capsule and it solved the problem. I think it fixed my problem with handoff as well.

Same to me. I used Onyx - no difference. Then I took restart on all AirPort stuff (Express, Time Capsule, AppleTv), then the problem disappeared.

Maybe it after all was a combination of Onyx and a restart of the peripherals. I would have tried the latter first.

rmcnelly

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Portsmouth, VA
Same to me. I used Onyx - no difference. Then I took restart on all AirPort stuff (Express, Time Capsule, AppleTv), then the problem disappeared.

Maybe it after all was a combination of Onyx and a restart of the peripherals. I would have tried the latter first.

Well, the problem has returned even after trying Onyx. Maybe another restart of the Time Capsule...

Frits48

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2014
Unplugging power and restarting my Time Capsule fixes it all the time for me.
Then, over time, the multiple ID's show up again...

Ridiculously annoying - I trust this will be one of the (many) things fixed in a future Yosemite update.

rizal72

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2014
Here how I solved the issue, for everyone that could be interested:

Noticed this log in Console right before Computer name changing:

02/11/14 13:30:37,000 kernel[0]: en1 duplicate IP address 10.0.1.2 sent from address <Time Capsule Mac address>
02/11/14 13:30:37,035 configd[25]: DHCP en1: defending IP 10.0.1.2 against BonjourSleepProxy <Time Capsule Mac address> 1 (of 5)

What I did, following advices in this thread:

1) deactivated all sharing options and Back to My Mac.
2) I nuked the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder.
3) I deleted the /Library/Preferences/com.apple.preferences.sharing.plist file
4) Restarted Time Capsule and Mac.
5) reactivated sharing options and Back to My Mac again.

Now everything seems to work and Mac name is not changing anymore (it seems...)

****edit*******

After some hours:
Name changed again. Shame. :(

Now I'm trying to deactivate Nat mapping protocol...

Last edited:

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Seems like the PC is not registering properly when it wakes and the sleep proxy holds on to the IP. It should release it once the PC is awake.

Turning off sharing disables sleep proxy so the Airport is no longer answering for the PC when it is asleep.

BobD2

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2008
Massachusetts
I've been seeing this issue as well. My computer (mid 2010 MacPro) is now named "computer" (4) (where "computer" is the name I gave it). I've seen this behavior for a while -- I am on OS X 10.8.5 with this computer. I don't remember if I saw this with 10.6.x (skipped 10.7 and 10.9 on this computer).

My MacBook Pro (2011) is now on 10.10.0 and is now "computer" (3). I think I also saw this behavior with 10.9 (but not completely sure about that). I've been mostly ignoring it as it doesn't seem to be causing me problems with my current usage patterns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.