Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
What is going on with Tiger? My finder is constantly using up all the cpu cycles. It even went to 163%. Don't know how that is possible. I saw in in Top Terminal. Not liking tiger at all.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Whoa... 163% should just not be possible on a Powerbook. Maybe it stole some processing power from your second computer? ;)

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
MacTruck said:
Maybe I got the dual core powerbook by accident.

Darn, I hate when that happens.

Oh a serious note, call apple and see what they say!

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
yellow said:
This isn't normal. Are you using any haxies or UI "enhancements"? Is this a clean install or upgrade?

Nope, nothing but fresh tiger install with all updates applied. In terminal I use top to view activity. That is where I saw it. It will got to 90% just from having a finder window open of my hard drive. I don't get it. Never had a problem in Panther.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
MacTruck said:
Nope, nothing but fresh tiger install with all updates applied. In terminal I use top to view activity. That is where I saw it. It will got to 90% just from having a finder window open of my hard drive. I don't get it. Never had a problem in Panther.

Hmmm... OK, troubleshooting step 2, log in as another user. Is Finder still sucking way too much CPU? If so, we have a real problem. If not, we're in very good shape.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Somebody else had this problem before on panther I wonder if the same issue remains on Tiger.

Me said:
I've read about this problem a few times on the forums and each time the solution has been very simple. It's usually that an icon on the desktop has become corrupt, to test this create a folder and pull all the icons on your desktop in there and see if the problem goes away.

If it does, work until you isolate the icon.

Past cases:

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthr...ht=corrupt+icon

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthr...ht=corrupt+icon

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I was gonna suggest an Archive and Install. I know its a pain, but it would be a quick fix. However, I don't think it would fix an icon corruption as it was suggested, so try that first. If not, do an Archive and Install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.