Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
I bought my Crucial ram for 75 on sale on newegg... so thats $30 extra for owc (they just dropped their price btw, b4 their 8 gb ram kit was like $149.)

Also i think comapring the M4 to the Pro 6g is very fair. Similar Reads (100 mb/s difference). Write speeds are slower but who cares? Those speeds aren't indicative of real life performance. 4k random read/writes are. In the Anandtech tests the m4 was on par with the OCZ vertex 3. BTW i noticed almost no difference between these new sata III drives compared to fast sata II drives. Just looking at sequential read/writes doesn't paint an accurate picture of performance. Its more of a dick measuring contest IMHO lol.

and i wasn't just talking about their ssds. Just compare their optibay + enclosure. its almost $100 more expensive to go with them.

I don't mind spending a little bit more for something that i know is going to work from a company i have trust in. There's no point in trying to convince you otherwise, so to each their own i guess. :D

Avenge

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Littleton, CO
Here: http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...7&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY&Product_Count=1

They have one for $49 that lets you use your removed SuperDrive externally via usb.

This is a cool setup that I'm going to implement to get two 500GB HD's into my MBP. Going with a Seagate 7200rpm for my primary drive and in the OptiBay put my current 5400rpm drive as my Time Machine. And still be able to use my SuperDrive when needed.

EDIT: I see this was mentioned earlier in the thread...but in regards to a 15" MBP I see they don't offer an enclosure for the removed SuperDrive.

I'm doing the same exact thing! But I had originally bought a 256gb SSD that I LOVE, it's blazing fast but I quickly filled it up and was left trying to weed through and pick off stuff that wasn't a necessity, which I hated doing! I ended up getting the Seagate Momentous XT 500gb hybrid SSD/HD which has plenty of space for me without my music or movies but even though it's hybrid it's just not fast enough, I'm telling you once you get used to how fast an SSD is you can't go back! So I found this kit off Amazon so that I can put another hard drive in place of my superdrive. So now I have my 256gb SSD as the main drive with my 500gb hybrid as my secondary and I love it, now I have the speed and the space I need in one MacBook Pro! Only now I have an unused Superdrive, which like many of you I just found myself not needing or using so much but when I do it'd be nice to have my superdrive in an external configuration rather than buying some cheap external drive with a flimsy tray!

Semper Fi
Nate Miller (Sgt, USMC Retired)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.