Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fussyoldfart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Welland Ontario CANADA
Using search finds old email messages I want but does not tell me where they are filed. If I have to use "search" it's because I have forgotten where I filed the message in the first place. I'd like to re-file it and associated messages, perhaps in a new folder.

How do I discover the exact location of such a message?

Efrem

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
While your search results are visible, go to View>Columns. Presumably Mailbox is not checked, or you would see a column that gives the mailbox that each found message is in. Check it.

fussyoldfart

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Welland Ontario CANADA
I tried that but it didn't get me the result I wanted either. You have reminded me that I can probably try searching each individual Mail Box (will do so later) but this is a pretty slow way to work.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I have two accounts in Mail and I'm not using the "Classic View". When I click, in the Mailbox List, the "MAILBOXES" heading I can do a search that looks in every folder of both accounts. The resulting message list gives me the name of the parent folder of every email in the list (under the date). It doesn't show the path to that folder, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.