Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2002
There are a few apps there reveal your local IP, but because I use airport, every computer starts with 10.0.1.X.

I need to find out the public IP which is the one your internet provider gives you, and because mine is not static, I need to check it.

There is a script which is designed for Acquisition which checks all the Gnutella ports, it tells me the public port but I want something simpler.
I know you can check it in System Profiler, but once again, I want something simpler.

I would write a script but I don't know how to.

Anyone?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Finding Your Public IP

Originally posted by Wardofsky
There are a few apps there reveal your local IP, but because I use airport, every computer starts with 10.0.1.X.

I need to find out the public IP which is the one your internet provider gives you, and because mine is not static, I need to check it.

Anyone?

http://www.whatismyip.com/

arn

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 6, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Finding Your Public IP

Originally posted by Nermal
I've found that whatismyip.com doesn't always work - if I go there I get the IP of my ISP rather than my own. I'm on a static so don't have to worry though.

Works for me, I need an app, anyone?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
How about under System Preferences > Sharing .. when selecting Personal File Sharing at the bottom it says "Other Macintosh users can acces your computer at afp://my IP address ..I'm on dialup and it always shows my current IP. Have you tried that?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Sorry to post 2x in a row, here's a screenshot...

Attachments

• prefs.jpg
    prefs.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 414

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
good tip but that only works on computers not on a netowrk or not sharing an internet connection because if your behind a router, dhcp probably assigns you a new IP for that kidn of stuff.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Am I'm missing something then? My TiBook is connected to the internet, then I turn on Internet Connection Sharing. The internal IP is 192.168.0.9, which I put in for router address on all the other machines, I also give all the other machine unique IPs (I don't use DHCP.) They all share the connection perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.