Finding Your Public IP

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wardofsky, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2002
    #1
    There are a few apps there reveal your local IP, but because I use airport, every computer starts with 10.0.1.X.

    I need to find out the public IP which is the one your internet provider gives you, and because mine is not static, I need to check it.

    There is a script which is designed for Acquisition which checks all the Gnutella ports, it tells me the public port but I want something simpler.
    I know you can check it in System Profiler, but once again, I want something simpler.

    I would write a script but I don't know how to.

    Anyone?
     
  2. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
  3. arn macrumors god

    arn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2001
    #3
    Re: Finding Your Public IP

    http://www.whatismyip.com/

    arn
     
  4. Wardofsky thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2002
    #4
    Thanks for that guys.
     
  5. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #5
    Re: Re: Finding Your Public IP

    I've found that whatismyip.com doesn't always work - if I go there I get the IP of my ISP rather than my own. I'm on a static so don't have to worry though.
     
  6. Wardofsky thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2002
    #6
    Re: Re: Re: Finding Your Public IP

    Works for me, I need an app, anyone?
     
  7. Wes macrumors 68020

    Wes

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2001
    Location:
    London
    #7
  8. 5300cs macrumors 68000

    5300cs

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2002
    Location:
    japan
    #9
    How about under System Preferences > Sharing .. when selecting Personal File Sharing at the bottom it says "Other Macintosh users can acces your computer at afp://my IP address ..I'm on dialup and it always shows my current IP. Have you tried that?
     
  9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

    5300cs

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2002
    Location:
    japan
    #10
    Sorry to post 2x in a row, here's a screenshot...
     

    Attached Files:

  10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

    Kwyjibo

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2002
    #11
    good tip but that only works on computers not on a netowrk or not sharing an internet connection because if your behind a router, dhcp probably assigns you a new IP for that kidn of stuff.
     
  11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

    5300cs

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2002
    Location:
    japan
    #12
    Am I'm missing something then? My TiBook is connected to the internet, then I turn on Internet Connection Sharing. The internal IP is 192.168.0.9, which I put in for router address on all the other machines, I also give all the other machine unique IPs (I don't use DHCP.) They all share the connection perfectly.
     
  12. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #13
    It's kinda scary how much info they can get from your IP. It tells me with 89% certainty that I'm in Wellington, New Zealand. I happen to be in the other 11% (Wellington's hundreds of km away), but my ISP's in Wellington which explains where it picked that up from.
     

Share This Page