Finding Your Public IP

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Wardofsky, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

There are a few apps there reveal your local IP, but because I use airport, every computer starts with 10.0.1.X.

I need to find out the public IP which is the one your internet provider gives you, and because mine is not static, I need to check it.

There is a script which is designed for Acquisition which checks all the Gnutella ports, it tells me the public port but I want something simpler.
    I know you can check it in System Profiler, but once again, I want something simpler.

I would write a script but I don't know how to.

Anyone?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Finding Your Public IP

http://www.whatismyip.com/

arn

4. Wardofsky thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for that guys.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Re: Re: Finding Your Public IP

I've found that whatismyip.com doesn't always work - if I go there I get the IP of my ISP rather than my own. I'm on a static so don't have to worry though.

6. Wardofsky thread starter macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Re: Finding Your Public IP

Works for me, I need an app, anyone?

7. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

8. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

How about under System Preferences > Sharing .. when selecting Personal File Sharing at the bottom it says "Other Macintosh users can acces your computer at afp://my IP address ..I'm on dialup and it always shows my current IP. Have you tried that?

9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Sorry to post 2x in a row, here's a screenshot...

Attached Files:

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

good tip but that only works on computers not on a netowrk or not sharing an internet connection because if your behind a router, dhcp probably assigns you a new IP for that kidn of stuff.

11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Am I'm missing something then? My TiBook is connected to the internet, then I turn on Internet Connection Sharing. The internal IP is 192.168.0.9, which I put in for router address on all the other machines, I also give all the other machine unique IPs (I don't use DHCP.) They all share the connection perfectly.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's kinda scary how much info they can get from your IP. It tells me with 89% certainty that I'm in Wellington, New Zealand. I happen to be in the other 11% (Wellington's hundreds of km away), but my ISP's in Wellington which explains where it picked that up from.