Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
"H&K: Because you suck and we hate you"

Don't get me wrong, HK makes a good gun, but this is the consensus for a reason. The gun itself is fine, the problem is with the company, they offer poor customer service to both civilian and government agencies a like, making parts acquirement impossible.

And before you ask... yes, even HK(s) (or Glocks, 1911s, and Sigs) break at some point, requiring replacement parts.... If you haven't broke a part on a gun, then maybe your not shooting it enough.

One thing though, some guns tend to be more "durable" than others. I'm not saying that "gun x is more durable than gun y because it was dropped from a airplane and survived". I'm saying that some guns require less maintenance (not cleaning, talking about parts replacement). For example, it is encouraged to start replacing springs on a 1911 after 3k rounds, and maintain a consistency to do so. On something like a Glock, well you can think about replacing the spring once your slide starts to feel soft or you start having issues. I don't have the exact numbers for Glocks, but I can tell you, I've replaced more parts on my 1911, compared to my Glocks.

Blackadder pretty much nailed it on the head in the post above. Personally I wouldn't go as far as using a Tokarev, but that's him and the idea is sound.

What you will find, if you shoot a lot, is what attributes of a gun do "you" like. I don't like DA/SA triggers, so I lean more towards a striker fire system or a 1911. I also use a really high aggressive thumbs forward grip, so the placement of the slide release on Sigs don't work with me.

This is why it's common to hear "choose the gun that you shoot best" because at the end of the day, you are the weakest link in the system. Not the gun, not the bullet size, it's you. (disclaimer: this only applies to modern, reliable handguns. If your gun is un-reliable, then it's the problem)

Now how about some video? Long story short, an internet fight on a local forum I visit, started a big fiasco about the reliability of a polymer AR15 lower.... good news is that everyone contributed and I got to shoot most of the ammo! We fired 860rds over the day and this is some of the video from that. The upper is mine and it is a Noveske N4 Recce, the lower is the PLUMCRAZY polymer lower. The end result of the lower was that it did survive but had minor melting which could stem into bigger issues. At this time I really don't recommend these things for a serious use gun.

Yours truly, Nrose8989 shooting the steel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZP1S-03FjE

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
RE: HK, they sell some very attractive handguns, the USP line seems very nice. My personal preference is for the SIG Sauers, I like the all-metal construction and don't mind the weight.

I'm still shopping for my first new handgun, everything I currently own are collectible military pieces. I'm actually considering the FN Five-seveN, it's something a little off the beaten path, but a 9mm weapon would be nice for the low ammo costs.

Blackadder pretty much nailed it on the head in the post above. Personally I wouldn't go as far as using a Tokarev, but that's him and the idea is sound.

I was going a little far in order to prove a point. ;)

But yes, as you said personal preferance is usually at the root of "X gun is junk, whereas Y gun is the best" arguments. Take the case of the Tokarev I mentioned earlier - the angle of the handgrip seems awkward compared to modern designs, the caliber is "only" 7.62mm, it is quite loud, has a big muzzle flash and it uses a single stack magazine. Nevertheless, it is incredibly rugged, the cartridge has good ballistics and excellent penetration, and accuracy with a well-maintained example is more than adequate.

A Glock (for example) is probably easier and more comfortable to shoot, offers more than double the magazine capacity, and certainly looks a lot more modern, but an experienced shooter can be quite effecective with the Tokarev. Once you get used to it you appreciate its own qualities - the slender handgrip can be quite comfortable, the high-velocity cartridge has certain advantages, and the overall design is clean and compact. It's hard to hate the Tokarev when it is essentially a close cousin to the eternally worshipped 1911.

In other words, buy whatever you prefer - any handgun with military pedigree is going to be a reliable, rugged, effective sidearm. Even weapons with bad reputations like the alloy-framed Walther P1s are generally reliable as long as you use them as they were intended - i.e. in the case of the P1 don't run thousands of rounds of +P+ ammo through them and you'll be fine.

canada eh

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2009
Barrie, Ontario
Canada has stricter regulations but you can still own certain firearms if you wanted to.
True, but I believe they are mostly rifles for hunting, im not too sure. My friend has a shotgun (I don't know the model) but I believe he is only allowed to have two rounds in the gun at one time.

I don't think I am legally allowed to own a P90, if so, that would be awesome!

NiCkMiLnE

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Seriously dude, I'm getting sick of some people posting threads with stupid comments like "why do you need that?" etc. etc.

Please leave your non-gun loving opinions at the door and just enjoy looking at everyone's collection.

Jeez you ever notice how people who own guns don't rag on others about why they don't have one? To each his own, if your comfortable knowing that the police will be there to help you in 5 minutes, then so be it.

5?! the uk, you're lucky if they're here in 35...no joke.

lewis82

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
True, but I believe they are mostly rifles for hunting, im not too sure. My friend has a shotgun (I don't know the model) but I believe he is only allowed to have two rounds in the gun at one time.

Correct. In the case of shotguns, the limit is three rounds and is made so to protect duck and otehr migratory animals.

You can own handguns, but you need a special permit and it is very limiting. For example, you can only carry it on certain days, and only to the shooting range.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off

I'm afraid not. There is a civilian-legal, semiauto derivative available in the US (the PS-90), but the "real" P90 is full-auto, has a sub-18" barrel and fires a specific type of (ballistic vest-defeating) ammo not available to civilians - and on top of that it's going to be a Post-May dealer sample, not a transferable machine gun, so only class 3 SOTs with a demo letter from the local PD can buy one (outside military/law enforcement). You'd have to really, really, really want one to get one legally (in the US). Canada, as far as I know, has never allowed civilian ownership of any automatic weapons, period.

Beefy

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Northern Colorado
My humble "collection". I'm not a collector. The firearms I own all have a "job" or purpose.

Anyways, what you see is:

Stoeger Cougar 9mm
XD 9mm Sub-Compact
Glock 36 (.45ACP Single-Stack)
Kel-Tec P3AT
Ruger MKII

I actually don't own the XD9SC anymore.

rmitchell248

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2010
Liebsthal, Germany
Here is a photo of my 2 Sigs

photo.jpg

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
My humble "collection". I'm not a collector. The firearms I own all have a "job" or purpose.

Anyways, what you see is:

Stoeger Cougar 9mm
XD 9mm Sub-Compact
Glock 36 (.45ACP Single-Stack)
Kel-Tec P3AT
Ruger MKII

I actually don't own the XD9SC anymore.

How do you like that Cougar? Academy is running a gun sale this week, and the Cougar is about $375 with their sale. I've read pretty good reviews of it. I love Beretta, and I have shot the Beretta Cougar and liked it. Right now, I'm debating between the Cougar, PX4, or XD.

Beefy

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Northern Colorado
How do you like that Cougar? Academy is running a gun sale this week, and the Cougar is about $375 with their sale. I've read pretty good reviews of it. I love Beretta, and I have shot the Beretta Cougar and liked it. Right now, I'm debating between the Cougar, PX4, or XD.

The Stoeger Cougar is a very nice weapon. I got it back when they were about $300 and have never regretted it. :eek: My girlfriend actually picked it out at the store and I did a little research before buying it. It's actually the same gun as the Berettas and the same machinery is used to make them. She still loves the gun to this day....she even sleeps next to it. :D She has around 2000 rounds through it and it's never once had a malfunction.

Hope this helps. :)

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
The Stoeger Cougar is a very nice weapon. I got it back when they were about $300 and have never regretted it. :eek: My girlfriend actually picked it out at the store and I did a little research before buying it. It's actually the same gun as the Berettas and the same machinery is used to make them. She still loves the gun to this day....she even sleeps next to it. :D She has around 2000 rounds through it and it's never once had a malfunction.

Hope this helps. :)

Yeah, it does. Everything I have read has said it is the same as when Beretta made them. The only knock seems to be that the finish isn't as nice as the Beretta versions. I think I can live with that, given what I have seen Beretta Cougars going for at gun shows.

Beefy

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Northern Colorado
Yeah, it does. Everything I have read has said it is the same as when Beretta made them. The only knock seems to be that the finish isn't as nice as the Beretta versions. I think I can live with that, given what I have seen Beretta Cougars going for at gun shows.

Yes, the fit and finish isn't quite to the level of the Beretta Cougars, but when you compare the price it makes sense. Ours still looks great to this day and we aren't the nicest to our weapons. As I said above, all of the firearms I own have a purpose, and those purposes usually involve wear. ;)

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
Going through my Photobucket account, I realized that I have a timeline of how I've evolved over the years.

2004-2005 era
100_0023.jpg

100_0024.jpg

2006-2008
100_0237.jpg

100_1067.jpg

2008-2009
100_1251.jpg

100_1248.jpg

100_1214.jpg

2009-Present
IMG_0103-1.jpg

IMG_0101-5.jpg

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
What made you switch back to an aimpoint from the ACOG & EoTech?

Which do you like better?

Overtime my needs have changed and I've formed opinions on products as well.

The Eoturd (Eotech :D) was probably the worst optic I've used (at least for the price). I could not get it to reliably hold it's zero over time. I'll admit that I'm kinda hard on my rifles... either way, I don't want an optic that can't take the abuse. Second was the reticle, it's to pixelated for my tastes, and when I'm not wearing my contacts/glasses, all I see is a fuzzy blob.... This and when driving the gun fast, it was very hard to "pick up" that tiny 1 MOA dot. Oh ya, the battery life sucked....

The ACOG is a great optic, it really is, but I think that it has a very limited role, and one that is not needed in the civilian world. The ACOG makes a great leaders optic when put into a military role because it allows the leader to scan the area without messing with binos or dealing with the weight of a 1-4x optic. My main problem was that it sucked horribly from the 0-100m range, a little better at the 100-300m range when precision was needed, and shined out to 600m. 0-300m is most important to me, so I opted for the red dot. Also in this day and age, if I needed precision, I would rather have a good 1-4x optic instead of the ACOG (like a Trijicon Accupoint or S&B shortdot) because they offer decent close range performance and you can get precision when you need it.

The Aimpoint is very hard to beat in the 0-300m role. You get a small, light (6oz.), durable optic that can take a hit or two. Battery life is 5 years :D and replacement batteries are $5 for a pack of two at Walmart. The single precise dot is easy for my eyes to pick up while moving fast, and more than adequate out to 300m.

Shifting gears now, I had a USPSA match this weekend and I took third in my division. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TQ7l38pRXk

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
Short answer: It's an AR15.

Long answer:

It's a Noveske N4 light Recce with,

- Aimpoint T-1 in Larue mount
- Magpul AFG, XTM, ACS, BAD, ASAP / MS2, and MOE
- Surefire X300
- Laserlyte k-15 (temporary, just testing)
- BattleComp
- Troy BUIS

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I cut down on mine a few months ago. Sold my Saiga Ak47, SKS, Glock 21.

Now I just have a Glock 23C and a cheap .22LR Semi Auto Rifle.

No pictures on my work machine :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.