Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
There are two apps on the app store. I already have the pro version, but I can only buy the pro version again?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Is £8 the same price as the iOS version? Seems a bit steep.
I'm not in the UK, but it sounds about right (it's $9.99 in the US). I think it's a very fair price given the functionality, that you get both iOS and tvOS versions, and that it contains licensed Dolby and DTS codecs that they have to pay for.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
I'm not in the UK, but it sounds about right (it's $9.99 in the US). I think it's a very fair price given the functionality, that you get both iOS and tvOS versions, and that it contains licensed Dolby and DTS codecs that they have to pay for.

Yes it is fair thinking about it.

Unfortunately it has failed at the very first step for me - it won't playback 1080p .mkv files over a wired network, without framerate issues. Either there isn't enough grunt to play them back, or it is a problem with the ATV only being limited to 60Hz/50Hz - either way, files are not playing back smoothly for me, whereas they are flawless with Plex.

Is it a well supported product i.e. are problems likely to be fixed, or should I just refund and go back to Plex?

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Yes it is fair thinking about it.

Unfortunately it has failed at the very first step for me - it won't playback 1080p .mkv files over a wired network, without framerate issues. Either there isn't enough grunt to play them back, or it is a problem with the ATV only being limited to 60Hz/50Hz - either way, files are not playing back smoothly for me, whereas they are flawless with Plex.
It depends a lot on what's inside your file (MKV is just a container format that can host a variety of different video and audio codecs with different configurations). I have only tried a single MKV for a few seconds yet (a 1080p rip from one of my Blu-rays) and it seemed to play fine.

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
It depends a lot on what's inside your file (MKV is just a container format that can host a variety of different video and audio codecs with different configurations). I have only tried a single MKV for a few seconds yet (a 1080p rip from one of my Blu-rays) and it seemed to play fine.

I've tried various files now, over 3 different streaming protocols, and none of them play back smoothly. That includes WEB-DL files that the Apple TV 4 should be able to play back natively.

kristoffer4

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I think I might have the pro features even though I downloaded the regular version? I can’t find anywhere to upgrade to pro. I have purchased pro on ios beforehande.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I think I might have the pro features even though I downloaded the regular version? I can’t find anywhere to upgrade to pro. I have purchased pro on ios beforehande.
I had just did an in app upgrade to the Pro Version on 11/29/2015 on my iPad. And that version shows the Name Infuse Pro in the Settings. But when I downloaded on the Apple TV (not the Pro Label Version) it did not say I had the Pro Version in the Settings (no name). So I called Apple and got a refund for the in app purchase and then bought the Pro Version on my iPad then could download Infuse Pro on my Apple TV without paying again. To be fair, Infuse people say it does not matter if you do an in app upgrade or just buy the Infuse Pro Version but since it did not say and also I was having a problem (like I did without the Pro iOS Version) I decided to make sure I had the Pro Version. After getting the Pro Version it looks the same without anything to tell me it is the Pro Version in the App Settings. And I still have the same problem. I have some Mac packages with the name show_name.eyetv which is a bundle of a number of files with one of them with filename.mpg. These are recordings using EyeTV on the Mac. All of them play fine on the iPad. But only 1 of the 4 will play on the Apple TV. Not sure yet what the difference is of all 4. They all all the same size. About 7gb 1 hour HD Shows.

z06gal

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2011
This is working beautifully for me. I have tried a number of formats and so far I am thrilled. Excellent work! ;)

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I would like to see the File Date Shown. I could not find a way to show it. I am looking at a folder of shows that I created with a DVR and would like to know when each was created. This may be a temporary solution for me but would be nice to have a date option.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I am playing from a Synology Share and it takes a while to get started (buffering). And if you FF and then restart you have to wait the same amount of time. Without timing it seems to be about 15 seconds.

Lappen71

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2012
I´m not impressed. Library management is very poor. It´s not unified library management for movies and series.
And it doesn't load images for folders.

KristelNL

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2015
I had just did an in app upgrade to the Pro Version on 11/29/2015 on my iPad. And that version shows the Name Infuse Pro in the Settings. But when I downloaded on the Apple TV (not the Pro Label Version) it did not say I had the Pro Version in the Settings (no name). So I called Apple and got a refund for the in app purchase and then bought the Pro Version on my iPad then could download Infuse Pro on my Apple TV without paying again. To be fair, Infuse people say it does not matter if you do an in app upgrade or just buy the Infuse Pro Version but since it did not say and also I was having a problem (like I did without the Pro iOS Version) I decided to make sure I had the Pro Version. After getting the Pro Version it looks the same without anything to tell me it is the Pro Version in the App Settings.

It's not clear for me either! I upgraded from the free version of Infuse to the PRO version on my ipad/iphone last year using the in-app option. On my ATV it looks like I have a free version (in my purchased items) but not the PRO one. How can I get a Pro version on my ATV without paying again ?

DesertDog

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
Download the free version and then use the restore purchase option in it to upgrade it to the pro version.

thekayman

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2014
For me the app is great. Has played almost everything and it is fast.

Fast is the last things I would call Infuse. It takes several seconds to open those files it can play, and forever to return an error message for those videos it can't handle.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
I'm blown away with the app.
My only issue is it has trouble connecting to my NAS and DNLA PC sometimes.
But I tried a couple 1080p mkv files and they played nice and smooth, even let me switch to DTS/DD over HDMI.
I was debating returning the Apple TV but I now have a reason to keep it.

I love how it goes above and beyond, auto filling movie details and even downloading subs if your file doesn't happen to have them. ;)

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
I'm using the free version and am not impressed. :(

I use Playon and have been for years. InFuse can only play the recorded stuff from PlayOn, all streams error out. I've emailed support to see if they are aware and will fix whatever the issue is.

Personally I think it is a timing issue. With LocalCast I can view Playon recordings, my iTunes rips and streams. With streams it takes awhile to get it going and I think that is because Playon is taking the time to get the stream going.

If FireCore can get InFuse working properly with Playon, I'll get the pro version, but as it stands now it would be a waste of money.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Fast is the last things I would call Infuse. It takes several seconds to open those files it can play, and forever to return an error message for those videos it can't handle.
I agree. I have tested with SMB and UPnP Connections and the same files take just under 15 seconds. I have posted this before and there has been no response from FireCore even though they respond to others so not sure why this issue is ignored. And when you FF and start you have to wait again 15 seconds. This is really a negative for using the Application. I do like the UI but this delay is a real problem. I am also testing with NAStify and the UPnP is very fast and solid. The SMB is not as solid. The files are MPEG 2 Recordings (about 7gb) with the type = .mpg. I would just give up on Infuse except I like the UI but I am only using NAStify for my final playback. NAStify has said they have plans to add some of the things I like about Infuse. If that happens soon before Infuse fixes the problem I will just drop Infuse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.