Firefox is hard to find

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MACDRIVE, Jan 20, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I've recently downloaded Firefox, but there's no Firefox icon in Applications. I closed out of Firefox and went to Applications to move the icon onto the Dock, but there wasn't one. :eek:

When I downloaded Firefox, I expected there to be its icon inside Applications. What happened? :confused:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Silly Question but did you actually copy it over to your Applications folder?

3. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

This is what's on my desktop right now, but it's not the same icon that's temporarily in the Dock. The one in the Dock looks like Earth with a flame wrapped around it. I expected the Earth icon to be in Applications just like the Safari icon. :confused:

Attached Files:

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That's a disk image, open it, and click and drag the firefox.app icon into your applications folder.

5. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

When I open it, it becomes a window that is too large to go into the Applications folder. But I can drag it there if I don't open it. Shall I do that?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There's an icon in that window - only drag the icon.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

IIRC FireFox is one of those apps that shows you what to do in that window. It has a FireFox icon and an icon for your applications folder with an arrow. In the window, drag the firefox icon to the applications folder. It'll do the rest. Or, just drag the icon itself to the Applications window in Finder.

B

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Nope, dragging it to the application folder silhouette in that window doesn't do anything.

Attached Files:

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Its quite simple actually, just drag and drop.:rolleyes:

10. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yes! I finally found it. :) I didn't see it at first because it's so big while in that window, but after I dragged it onto the Desktop, it got small.

I'm feeling quite dumb right now. :eek: :eek: :eek:

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just make sure you move firefox.app from your Desktop to your Applications folder. :)

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So I didn't RC. :) Does work in quite a few other apps.

B

13. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I did, and then put a duplicate icon on the Dock.

All the stars in the universe are lined up now. :) :) :)

Thanks Eric. :)

14. skwij macrumors 6502

For future installs, don't bother dropping the icon on the desktop, just drop the icon directly into your Applications folder.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Also don't run anything except "installer packages" (look like a cardboard box being opened, or sometimes like a hard drive) from inside the disk image.

There's a great guide with pictures here. There are basically three or so different ways to install software on Macs. Once you learn them all, you'll be golden. :)

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm always amazed how this method, especially with the illustration in the folder itself, is so difficult.

Maybe, if they didn't decorate the drive icon to look like an application, it would work better.

17. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Most disk images create an alias to your Application folder, so you just follow the illustration and drop it into the alias of the App folder. Firefox for some reason decided not to do this....

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I like this too, although I guess, in principle, it could be used as an exploit -- e.g. creating an alias that seemed to go to /applications and actually went to /system or something like that.

Anyway, though, what I do is keep the Apps folder on the right side of the dock. This is good for this purpose, but also because you can hold the mouse button on it and get a pop-up of all the contents (to find apps not in the dock). :)

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Perhaps, most you've seen. I've seen one so far in 5+ years. Besides, people should become familiar with Finder and the sidebar, if it's active.