Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
I've recently downloaded Firefox, but there's no Firefox icon in Applications. I closed out of Firefox and went to Applications to move the icon onto the Dock, but there wasn't one. :eek:

When I downloaded Firefox, I expected there to be its icon inside Applications. What happened? :confused:

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
This is what's on my desktop right now, but it's not the same icon that's temporarily in the Dock. The one in the Dock looks like Earth with a flame wrapped around it. I expected the Earth icon to be in Applications just like the Safari icon. :confused:

Attachments

• Picture 27.jpg
    Picture 27.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 269

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
This is what's on my desktop right now, but it's not the same icon that's temporarily in the Dock. The one in the Dock looks like Earth with a flame wrapped around it. I expected the Earth icon to be in Applications just like the Safari icon. :confused:
That's a disk image, open it, and click and drag the firefox.app icon into your applications folder.

MACDRIVE

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Clovis, California
That's a disk image, open it, and click and drag the firefox.app icon into your applications folder.

When I open it, it becomes a window that is too large to go into the Applications folder. But I can drag it there if I don't open it. Shall I do that?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
When I open it, it becomes a window that is too large to go into the Applications folder. But I can drag it there if I don't open it. Shall I do that?

IIRC FireFox is one of those apps that shows you what to do in that window. It has a FireFox icon and an icon for your applications folder with an arrow. In the window, drag the firefox icon to the applications folder. It'll do the rest. Or, just drag the icon itself to the Applications window in Finder.

B

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
IIRC FireFox is one of those apps that shows you what to do in that window. It has a FireFox icon and an icon for your applications folder with an arrow. In the window, drag the firefox icon to the applications folder. It'll do the rest. Or, just drag the icon itself to the Applications window in Finder.

B
Nope, dragging it to the application folder silhouette in that window doesn't do anything.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 48

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Yes! I finally found it. :) I didn't see it at first because it's so big while in that window, but after I dragged it onto the Desktop, it got small.

I'm feeling quite dumb right now. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Just make sure you move firefox.app from your Desktop to your Applications folder. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
For future installs, don't bother dropping the icon on the desktop, just drop the icon directly into your Applications folder.

Also don't run anything except "installer packages" (look like a cardboard box being opened, or sometimes like a hard drive) from inside the disk image.

There's a great guide with pictures here. There are basically three or so different ways to install software on Macs. Once you learn them all, you'll be golden. :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm always amazed how this method, especially with the illustration in the folder itself, is so difficult.

Maybe, if they didn't decorate the drive icon to look like an application, it would work better.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Most disk images create an alias to your Application folder, so you just follow the illustration and drop it into the alias of the App folder. Firefox for some reason decided not to do this....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Most disk images create an alias to your Application folder, so you just follow the illustration and drop it into the alias of the App folder. Firefox for some reason decided not to do this....

I like this too, although I guess, in principle, it could be used as an exploit -- e.g. creating an alias that seemed to go to /applications and actually went to /system or something like that.

Anyway, though, what I do is keep the Apps folder on the right side of the dock. This is good for this purpose, but also because you can hold the mouse button on it and get a pop-up of all the contents (to find apps not in the dock). :)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Perhaps, most you've seen. I've seen one so far in 5+ years. Besides, people should become familiar with Finder and the sidebar, if it's active.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.