Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

public enemy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
COLORADO
i posted an earlier thread regarding internet explorer to msn, and the vote came back as firefox- downloaded it and love it. but my question is, i have the firefox icon in my dock, but every time i click on it to open firefox, a white slot drive looking thing appears on the screen under my macintosh hd icon, why is this appearing? and how do i get rid of it- when i take it to the trash can, an eject picture comes up, and i cant drag into the macintosh icon??? :eek:

iSaint

macrumors 603
You installed it ok, but the installation image is still there. I don't quite understand what you're saying about dragging the image into the 'macintosh icon', but you should drag it to the trash can, which is deleting the install files.

Or, find the intall image in Finder and delete it from there.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
It sounds like you're running Firefox right from the disk image (dmg file is a disk image like an iso file and mounts on your desktop as a disk). You shouldn't be doing that (also it's not recommended as it is read only and Firefox sometimes need to change certain things in the app).

You need to drag the Firefox.app from that "white disk" over in your Applications folder and then drag the icon from there to the dock (or just double click it from your Applications folder and ctrl-click on the icon when it appears in the dock as Firefox starts and chose "keep in dock").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.