Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by locovaca
Firewire maxes out at 50 MB/s. Most 7200 rpm hard drives cannot even provide a sustained 40 MB/s. FW2 will help burst transfers, but it will not magically double your hard drive transfer speed. Only until they start throwing in 10k or 15k RPM hard drives (which will not happen until they make the IDE versions of them) will we need FW2. The only real good, immediate, application of FW2 will be for networking computers to make clusters. For most everything else the bus isn't really a bottleneck.

Ahh, but what about those people with multiple devices on the firewire bus? Then wouldn't FW2 make sense?
Although at that point, each Mac should have two distinctive firewire buses...one for FW2 and one for older FW devices.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Re: NOTHING BIG

Originally posted by JOHNGAETANO
The more I look at Apples web site, and compare it to last years hype, I really don't think we are going to see the really really cool surprise device. I mean, I would love nothing more than that, but I doubt it. Apple is not hyping anything at all. It's very quiet.

JOHN

Last year's hype due mailny because they were updating the machine that put Apple back on the map: the iMac. Remember, the iPod was released with a simple press conference and it's been a cornerstone of the Digital Hub strategy.

kcmac

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Check out this moron (an analyst at IDC):

"Kay is unimpressed with the promise of Firewire2. "I don't know what we need it for. FireWire is really fast already, and data is only as fast as your slowest link -- your PC or your modem or cable line."

Gawd that's funny. I bet this guy has never compared a G4 to a Pentium 4 and voiced that higher speed ain't better!

Do most of us really need the fast processors of today to do what we do. No way! But we have to have it...don't we? :D

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
Umm, excuse me, but insidedanshead has made the best point of all, and you're all missing it.

Everywhere has said no hardware upgrades. So what the heck are they going to put a firewire 2 port on? Thin air?

Isn't this a good sign for iMac or Powermac updates?

BOTH

Apple should have both USB2 and Firewire2 in their machines. USB2 is a cheap no-brainer. You can get a card at CompUSA for $20 and it will work in Jaguar. It's cheaper for peripheral owners to make their scanners/printers USB, so let 'em.

I have the feeling that Apple's avoiding putting USB2 in their machines because they see it as competition to Firewire. That's a shame, because it's the consumers who are losing out...

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
great for audio

Originally posted by rugby
Firewire 2 will be excellent for my 800gb external RAID housing all my replaytv movies. Nice and speedy. Of course I can't actually afford this yet, but someday.....

This will be a god send for motu and yamaha and hopefully Apple soon with mlan and other firewire audio/midi interfaces, i though Apple was working with yamaha to incoperate mlan in the OS, that was before the emagic purchase. just think og how many audio and midi tracks available in 1 firewire cable will also be great for networking and the faster 50MB per second WD jumbo cahce drives

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
The UniNorth chip may have untapped resources, or a bug may have prevented implementation of Firewire 2 in the XServe and MMD Powermac.

The old leaked MMD block diagram specs listed the current UniNorth as having a 100/200/400/800 Firewire interface.

However to get USB 2 a new KeyLargo would have to be made.

To get Firewire2 and/or USB2 into the iMac/iBook a new Pangea chip would need to be made.

The eMac is an odd duck, the Apple tech library shows in the block diagrams as more of a PowerMac knockoff with a UniNorth/Key Largo chipset.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
your right

Originally posted by richard5mith
Umm, excuse me, but insidedanshead has made the best point of all, and you're all missing it.

Everywhere has said no hardware upgrades. So what the heck are they going to put a firewire 2 port on? Thin air?

you must be right an ipod with firewire to would only have slightly faster performance, so maybe the slot load imac will be there, then again it could be a multi media/ tv tuner tivo type box or tablet or something we have,nt thought of, but its fair to say all new Macs coming will have firewire 2 finally, if so then they can include usb 2 for all those scanners out there and newer cameras coming soon. without giving up bragging rights. to cone

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Re: NOTHING BIG

The more I look at Apples web site, and compare it to last years hype, I really don't think we are going to see the really really cool surprise device. I mean, I would love nothing more than that, but I doubt it. Apple is not hyping anything at all. It's very quiet.

JOHN

I couldn't agree more. Last year during the Keynote Countdown, we were practically jumping out of our collective skins, expecting nothing less than the secret to anti-gravity coming out of Apple. It did nothing but tick us all off, and rightly so...we're so incorrigible in our desires and wants when it comes to these things, even though it's admittedly a hellofa lotta fun.

I personally think that when it comes out of nowhere, from left field, with no hint whatsoever of what it could be, it's all the more jaw dropping just because they could keep it quiet so well. That's when I shake my head and say "Right on, people. You kept it close to your vest and fooled us all." It's my hope, though I'm not holding my breath, that that's what I'll be saying come tomorrow post-Stevenote. Whatever "it" may be, of course.;)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth

Maybe, maybe not.

For example, would it have been possible for Apple to build FW2 into recent production existing machines and just not have it enabled (yet) by OS X 10.2?

Would that not qualify for "out of thin air"?

Granted, it would probably piss some people off, but it would be showmanship, and get a ton of free press.

-hh

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by insidedanshead
Everyones bypassed the real question possed by this.. why would they release Firewire2 without a machine to put it in? Everyones insisting no powermac updates... and yet steves announcing FW2? doesnt add up....
I agree. I'm betting on new PM's tomorrow. So much iDevice hype on MR lately.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Nah, no new Powermacs. Just plug in the PCI card. Same thing with Airport 2, just make a new Airport 2 card (combo card with bluetooth, maybe) and pretty much the whole line can benefit. No need to change the base platforms at all.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Originally posted by -hh
For example, would it have been possible for Apple to build FW2 into recent production existing machines and just not have it enabled (yet) by OS X 10.2?

I believe FW2 has a completely different connector to FW1 so i don't think this is possible.

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK

I'd probably agree, it is quite a good sign, but there's nothing to say that the updates will be tomorrow, just likely to be pretty soon.

It's quite possible SmartDisk had intended to sit on the announcement for a few weeks, which would have then brought it into the late jan/early feb that had been predicted by some sites.

We can always hope it's tomorrow though :)

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Hot News from MacWorld Las Vegas

Most everyone is reacting as though this article on itworld.com is factual, complete information... I suspect it is, but I also must say that I don't put a whole lot of faith in these people.. since they talk about MacWorld Expo in Las Vegas this week.. *cough*

mrkstu

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Lets try blending some things...

Current Tech not utilized yet:

Rendevous
Bluetooth
IP Networking over Firewire
Handwriting Recognition

New Tech Expected:

FW2
Videoconferencing
DLD
additions to iChat
Airport (g)

Some possibilities then:

DLD with camera, Bluetooth, FW2, Networkable, shareable, mountable on the network with Rendevous,

One device that could replace:

Tablets
Netcam/Webcams
iPod
Tivo?

What would it look like:

5-7 inch lcd with hard drive, Citriq(sp?) sytle tablet, airport (g version, maybe optional card)/bluetooth, firewire, dvd (built in rip to HD with DRM features for hollywood)?

I would want one... if it was under a grand...

Mark

cryptochrome

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2002
Originally posted by locovaca
Firewire maxes out at 50 MB/s. Most 7200 rpm hard drives cannot even provide a sustained 40 MB/s. FW2 will help burst transfers, but it will not magically double your hard drive transfer speed. Only until they start throwing in 10k or 15k RPM hard drives (which will not happen until they make the IDE versions of them) will we need FW2. The only real good, immediate, application of FW2 will be for networking computers to make clusters. For most everything else the bus isn't really a bottleneck.

Maybe drive tech like FW2 (and fast bus standards like Hypertransport etc. ) would help push faster drives into reality.

Certainly it could work with RAIDS in the meantime.

MarkMc

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2001
For those that missed the release...

The release is still available on E*Trade...

=====================

SmartDisk New FirePower Drive Applies FireWire 800 Mbit Technology

January 06, 2003 05:02:00 (ET)

SAN FRANCISCO, Jan 6, 2003 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- SmartDisk Corporation (SMDK, Trade) today introduced a new line of high performance desktop hard drives that connect to Apple's computers using the new, higher speed, 800 Mbit/sec FireWire(TM) standard. SmartDisk FirePower(TM) is being showcased in Booth 1142, The Moscone Center at Macworld Expo, San Francisco, January 7-10, and in Booth 30175, South 4 Hall, The Las Vegas Convention Center at International CES.

With a 3.5" mechanism and a capacity of 200 GB, FirePower is designed to store extremely large files with ease, such as those created with digital video authoring software and other multimedia applications. FirePower operates with FireWire 800 or standard FireWire 400-equipped Macintosh computers as well as Windows-based USB2.0 personal computers. Housed in an attractive white case, FirePower features a 7200-rpm mechanism with an 8-megabyte cache and the new Oxford 922 high performance bridge chip.

"FireWire 800 sets the stage for a huge leap in the speed of data transfer between Mac platforms and their peripherals," said Stuart Cox, Vice President, Product Development for SmartDisk. "Our FirePower hard drive takes advantage of this new speed to satisfy the hunger for faster data access and massive file storage, as is so often required in Apple's media-intensive user community."

Availability

FirePower will be available in March through retailers and distributors, as well as through the company's Web site at http://www.smartdisk.com.

About SmartDisk Corporation

SmartDisk develops, manufactures and markets a range of imaginative consumer electronic products and exciting software solutions that are enabling the digital age and simplifying the digital lifestyle. The Company's innovative products help users transfer, store, manage and share digital music, video, pictures and data. Headquartered in the U.S., with operations in Europe and Asia, SmartDisk sells and supports its products worldwide. For more information, go to http://www.smartdisk.com.

This press release includes statements that may constitute forward-looking statements made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Although the Company believes the expectations contained in such forward-looking statements are reasonable, it can give no assurance that such expectations will prove correct. These statements may involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from expected results. Such risks include, but are not limited to, risk factors described in the Company's periodic and other filings made with the SEC. The Company assumes no obligation to update the forward-looking statements contained in this press release.

All trade names referenced are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

SmartDisk Corporation, Naples, Fla.
Crystal Revak, 239/436-2591
Crystal.Revak@smartdisk.com

http://www.businesswire.com

Today's News On The Net - Business Wire's full file on the Internet
with Hyperlinks to your home page.

Copyright (C) 2003 Business Wire. All rights reserved.

chewbaccapits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
Torrance, Californizzel
"why would they release Firewire2 without a machine to put it in? Everyones insisting no powermac updates... and yet steves announcing FW2? doesnt add up...." ---Great point DANsHead...

But my question is...How come USB2 accepts USB1 without a hitch (ALLEGEDLY) and FW2 cannot? Could it have been designed to accept FW1 peripherals as well?

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
Originally posted by cryptochrome

Maybe drive tech like FW2 (and fast bus standards like Hypertransport etc. ) would help push faster drives into reality.

That's a nice thought, but we already have much faster standards, such as U320 SCSI (320 Megs a sec!). In terms of drive technology Firewire is on the very, very low end. Serious systems use SCSI RAID cards with dedicated processors and cache ram. Firewire is great for us end consumers and low end editing, but, IMHO, it isn't going to drive the industry.

Additionally, it isn't the busses holding back drive technology- it's the magnetic media itself. There's a reason that 10k and 15k rpm hard drives cost so much, and it isn't because they feel like it. The challenge of making hard drives anything more than a tiny fraction of the speed of memory has been one that has gone on for the last 50 years, and its one that will probably never be solved. Firewire 2 isn't going to make it anymore of a reality than it was yesterday.

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
But my question is...How come USB2 accepts USB1 without a hitch (ALLEGEDLY) and FW2 cannot? Could it have been designed to accept FW1 peripherals as well?
You will be able to plug a FW1 device into a FW2 port and use it like normal, you just won't get the speed gains. Same goes with USB1 devices in USB2 sockets.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL

That attitude is exactly what SJ is counting on!

Last year's hype made more sense, Steve's picture was on the cover of Time Magazine!
Also, last year we knew a flat-panel iMac was on the way (although we had no idea it would look the way it did), this year we know just about nothing.

I'm waiting for the "and one more thing..." :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.