Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
On my Nikon, even for a 5 yr old camera, time-to-ready is practically instantaneous. It's more of a nervous fixation. I need to play with things in my hands. If I wasn't holding a camera, I'd be playing with a lighter, a pen, a piece of paper, etc. It's very hard to kick this as a habit. LOL.

But good to know it can be customized to manual.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
off topic: I have a bad habit of flicking my camera on/off switch repeatedly as my index finger rests on the shutter/power switch (on a Nikon). Anybody know if this will tax the dust-removal feature on most of today's DSLRs? As I gather, the ultrasonic filter vibrates every time the camera is turned on.

I don't know about your Nikon Camera, but on mine (Canon 40D) what energizes the sensor cleaning feature is the main power switch at the back of the camera, not the shutter button. The shutter button just wakes the camera from sleep mode or standby, much like when you move your Mac's mouse or touch the keyboard keys. I imagine that your camera is similar to mine?

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
I have a D70s, and the power switch it built around the shutter button. This is why I fell into the habit of turning it on/off all the time. I know it drops into stand-by if I don't use it much, and I never saw a difference in battery life either way. But like I said, this may become an issue to the sensor cleaning system. hahah. Maybe I should just stop doing it.:p

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
I have a D70s, and the power switch it built around the shutter button. This is why I fell into the habit of turning it on/off all the time. I know it drops into stand-by if I don't use it much, and I never saw a difference in battery life either way. But like I said, this may become an issue to the sensor cleaning system. hahah. Maybe I should just stop doing it.:p
You are right. STOP IT! :D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.