Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I can turn my WiFi model into a 3G too. All I need is a strip of black electrical tape.

SiPat

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I simply read this as confirmation that the iPad WiFi+3G is definitely shipping.

That does make it news.

louis Fashion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
Arizona, USA
funny not funny

It isn't just you. They are not only not funny, they are stupid, but what you gonna do, juveniles need to have their fun.

The thousands of comments to the saga of the lost phone also became a pain in the ass. Maybe not all juvenile, I mean we had every criminal justice official in California commenting on the nature of man and his relationship to the law, but god, you gotta give it a break after awhile.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
...not even my brand new MacBook holds 100% battery life for more than a few seconds unplugged.

Guess you haven't used an iPad then. It holds 100% charge for several minutes after use. A few hours if it's on and off the charger, but not in use.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
Ya know, Steve could completely control the delivery of Apple's devices by simply buying up a FedEx competing courier, like DHL...

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The thousands of comments to the saga of the lost phone also became a pain in the ass. Maybe not all juvenile, I mean we had every criminal justice official in California commenting on the nature of man and his relationship to the law, but god, you gotta give it a break after awhile.

Instead of going to the Mall, apparently kids just come here now. Been like that since the iPhone came out. What can you do. They're our future convenience store clerks.

RyanR.

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2008
Virginia
I think I would call Apple before opening it... just in case.

I wouldn't want the police to show up and take all my electronics. I sure as heck wouldn't be posting pictures on the web!:p

bondjw07

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2003
Does GPS work without DataPlan and WiFi off?

If the lucky person that got the device reads this, do you think you can test GPS for us to see if it works without WiFi on and without a dataplan? I've yet to get a clear answer on this.

Please don't post a reply with theories, I'm just looking for the facts.

akacaj

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
NY
I would offer him 5 grand for it but then I wouldn't have enough to pay for my damaged door.

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
If the lucky person that got the device reads this, do you think you can test GPS for us to see if it works without WiFi on and without a dataplan? I've yet to get a clear answer on this.

Please don't post a reply with theories, I'm just looking for the facts.

there is no reason why it wouldnt work.

GPS does not need a data connection to get a position.

this is not a theory. it is a fact.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed

131836-early_ipad_3g.jpg

Engadget reports that despite Apple's plans for iPad Wi-Fi + 3G pre-orders to be delivered tomorrow in the U.S., at least one lucky customer has had their shipment slip through the cracks and be delivered a day early.

While no details on hidden differences between the 3G and Wi-Fi-only versions have been noted, the one image posted is clearly of a 3G-capable model as distinguished by the black plastic strip visible along the top edge (to allow for cellular signal access) and the status bar noting a connnection to AT&T's 3G network.

Article Link: First iPad Wi-Fi + 3G Arrives a Day Early

nice messy shelves, no way its a mac user:D

jjd

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2003
there is no reason why it wouldnt work.

GPS does not need a data connection to get a position.

this is not a theory. it is a fact.

It is a fact that the GPS is Assisted GPS and it does make use of cell data to better and faster triangulate. It may be that it can operate without it, but it will not work as well (just try your 3GS in airplane mode). Also any location mapping apps won't work unless they store the map data locally.

JakeTheMac

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2010
Wait I thought we got them today... I got mine too...

iPad 3G 16GB...

Edit: Am I the only other person that got there's today???

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
It is a fact that the GPS is Assisted GPS and it does make use of cell data to better and faster triangulate. It may be that it can operate without it, but it will not work as well (just try your 3GS in airplane mode). Also any location mapping apps won't work unless they store the map data locally.

it does use A-GPS. but A-GPS does NOT require a data connection to use the normal GPS functionality when an internet connection is not available

;) here is the theory part:
a small number of A-GPS receivers cannot function without the data and use the traditional method of finding position.
BUT
the chips used in the iphone 3G/3GS can be used as standard GPS modules when A-GPS functionality is not possible. so im putting my money on the fact that the ipad 3G has a similar chip.

wolfenkraft

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
it does use A-GPS. but A-GPS does NOT require a data connection to use the normal GPS functionality when an internet connection is not available

;) here is the theory part:
a small number of A-GPS receivers cannot function without the data and use the traditional method of finding position.
BUT
the chips used in the iphone 3G/3GS can be used as standard GPS modules when A-GPS functionality is not possible. so im putting my money on the fact that the ipad 3G has a similar chip.

The GPS might work, but the maps won't. The iPhone OS doesn't have all of google maps' map data on the device. One of the issues with "turn by turn" is when you're out of network, you get a nice blue dot in the middle of a tan/gray screen.

Unless you have an app that needs GPS without google maps or a data connection, it might work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.