Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Hi
Was the first attempt to bring a better music experience using iTunes to a mobile phone, Motorola ROKR E1, a flop?

Cingular, the sole provider of the ROKR thus far, has recently dropped the price from $249 to $149 with a new activation (contract).

With Motorola CEO bashing the new iPod nano, Macworld: News: Motorola CEO: 'Screw the nano', and the harsh reviews of the product seem to have forced the iTunes phone group to rethink things.

This price drop seems to be quick enough, about two months, to try and correct problems that arose from this initial release.

Does this mean that Apple may be rethinking Motorola as a partner for this project, something like it has with the microprocessors it uses in certain Mac product lines? Only time will tell.

NOTE: If this would be better served in another section, feel free to move it. I'm no journalist and so I apologize for the poor wording. :grin:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
Hi
Maybe but we saw the number of expectations of the first iTunes enabled phone and they were all pointed at Apple design and release...Which isn't even close to what actually happened.

I'm sure it is going to be hard to say what the next iTunes enabled phone will be.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
If Moto can make the iTunes interface more responsive and put it on every phone they come out with and support USB2 transfer, I think that, even with the 100 song cap, it won't be any sort of replacement for an iPod, but it'd be a really cool product. Cuz honestly everyone wil want a RAZR2... I have a RAZR and i want the new one. Throw in iTunes at no cost and i'm even more sold

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
It's selling ok for a first gen. Enough to prove people like the concept, but sales are slow enough to warrant a price drop. One has been rumored for weeks. Here's hoping the next ones suck less.

(in the market for a new phone)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.