Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
VIRUSES: You can get them,
No, you can't. While Macs are not immune, there ARE no viruses in the wild that run on current Mac OS X.
they come in many forms. Trojans, spyware, keyloggers, malware, etc etc.
No, viruses, trojans, worms, etc. are forms of malware. Trojans, spyware, keyloggers, etc. are NOT forms of viruses. There's a difference. Read the link I posted for accurate descriptions of each.
DO NOT listen to people who say you CANNOT get them.
As has been stated, you CANNOT get a virus on your Mac, since none have been created that run on current Macs. You CAN get a trojan, since a few exist, but to do so, you must actively download and install it. Read the link I posted for more details.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
THANK YOU ALL for the replies, great info!!!

I just got my Air from FedEx...a day early...yayyyy! I will be opening it in a few. I really cant wait to see and try it :)

psirix

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
Detroit, MI
THANK YOU ALL for the replies, great info!!!

I just got my Air from FedEx...a day early...yayyyy! I will be opening it in a few. I really cant wait to see and try it :)

Congratulations and enjoy! I am still itching to buy one and haven't done it yet...but...I want to :D

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
So what programs should I install? On my PC I use Firefox and VLC. Are these two good for a Mac? If I get Firefox should I install Flash? What other stuff do you guys recommend so I can try out my new Air?

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
No, you can't. While Macs are not immune, there ARE no viruses in the wild that run on current Mac OS X.

No, viruses, trojans, worms, etc. are forms of malware. Trojans, spyware, keyloggers, etc. are NOT forms of viruses. There's a difference. Read the link I posted for accurate descriptions of each.

As has been stated, you CANNOT get a virus on your Mac, since none have been created that run on current Macs. You CAN get a trojan, since a few exist, but to do so, you must actively download and install it. Read the link I posted for more details.

My buddy got a virus on his mac... but as you state, it was not an up to date mac... it was a 2008 model when he got it... so that makes sense as far as the new stuff. I have never had one, just know it's possible as he did.

I know trojans etc. aren't technically "viruses" but the most people, they use it all interchangeably.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010

Also, to be fair, I DID find a virus for current mac OSX....

There is this virus out there Macs... it's a plain text file with the following contents:

-----------------------------------------------------------
This OSX virus works on the honor system.

Please delete random files on your hard disk, then forward this message to everyone you know. Thank you for your cooperation.
-----------------------------------------------------------

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My buddy got a virus on his mac... but as you state, it was not an up to date mac... it was a 2008 model when he got it...
No, he didn't. If it was a 2008 model, it was shipped with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). If that's what he was running, he did NOT get a virus, as none have ever been found in the wild that run on Leopard or Snow Leopard.
Also, to be fair, I DID find a virus for current mac OSX....
Name one. Just one. You can't, because they don't exist. Stop spreading misinformation.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
The only people who say there are viruses on Macs are Windows fanboys and the companies who make and sell virus protection software.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
No, he didn't. If it was a 2008 model, it was shipped with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). If that's what he was running, he did NOT get a virus, as none have ever been found in the wild that run on Leopard or Snow Leopard.

Name one. Just one. You can't, because they don't exist. Stop spreading misinformation.

Wow... apparently somebody has a very strict sense of humor... maybe the whole thing went over your head?

Possibly you are on a 11" MBA and forgot to finish scrolling down on the last post?

Let me know when you get it though ;)

At least I found it humorous.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wow... apparently somebody has a very strict sense of humor... maybe the whole thing went over your head?
I saw the lame attempt at humor. I was referring to your claim that your buddy got a virus on a 2008 Mac, which he didn't. There are too many new Mac users who read these threads, under the mistaken impression that Macs have the same virus issues that Windows PCs have, and assume that everything that happens on their Mac that they don't understand is a virus. It's more helpful to them if people post facts, not fiction.

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I saw the lame attempt at humor. I was referring to your claim that your buddy got a virus on a 2008 Mac, which he didn't. There are too many new Mac users who read these threads, under the mistaken impression that Macs have the same virus issues that Windows PCs have, and assume that everything that happens on their Mac that they don't understand is a virus. It's more helpful to them if people post facts, not fiction.

Whew... grumpy grumpy. I found it humorous at least, that's all that matters. Made me giggle inside.

As far as my buddy, that's at least what I was told. I assume a trojan then is what he had. In no way, shape, or form did I say osx is like windows regarding viruses.

BTW... deep breath ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
In no way, shape, or form did I say osx is like windows regarding viruses.
I didn't imply that you did. I said that because there are those who are new to Mac that are under that impression, it's more helpful to THEM if people post facts, not fiction. Your posting false, unsupported claims is not helping. Can we get this thread back on topic now? :rolleyes:

millerb7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I didn't imply that you did. I said that because there are those who are new to Mac that are under that impression, it's more helpful to THEM if people post facts, not fiction. Your posting false, unsupported claims is not helping. Can we get this thread back on topic now? :rolleyes:

Eh, I suppose I'll allow it.

How about:
Never assume there is no way possible to get a virus. Be careful in what you DL and access. Common sense ;)

itommyboy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
Titletown USA
Yesterday ordered my first MacBook. Been using pc most my life, once I had a Apple IIe but guess that doesn't really count. I ordered a 13 Air Ultimate, shows shipped from China so hope to get in week or so. This will be my first real venture into OSX so I'm excited to try it. The price was about $122 less than regular price directly from Apple.

I do have couple of questions:
Do I need virus protection? All my pcs have Norton 2011. What should I get for the Air?
What's best way to load Win7 on Air? I heard there are couple ways to do it. But not sure what latest and greatest is. Any recommendation?

Been reading this forum for so time, lots of good info. I'm sure now I will be on more!

BTW: I have been using Apple stuff for sometime. Have 3GS, prior had the first gen. I also have 32GB iPad wifi. And the new touch iPod, that kids use.

LOL thread. :D

Hello Mario, congrats on a real nice machine you bought there. Learn it and love it. Also learn to read between the lines around these forums. There are many people who type like they know what is going on and what they are talking about, but all to often do not - like most any forum on the web today. To Macrumors credit there is a ton of very knowledgeable and smart people who post around here as well, you'll get to know and "see" who they are if you have not already.

Now on to your questions. You probably don't need to worry about 3rd party av for Mac - although there is indeed "malware" out there that can and does effect Mac users, you essentially have to type in your password and allow it to run. Simply don't do this, practice safe browsing etc and you'll be fine like 99% of the rest of the Mac world.

If you need Windows, you need Windows. Boot camp allows you to run it natively but you need to reboot your computer into Windows - essentially turning your MBA into a WBA :) If you don't like the thought of having to reboot to use Windows than any of the virtual machine programs already mentioned in this thread will suit your needs. Some like Parallels best, some like VM Fusion best...again opinions are like a$$h0les everyone has one and nobody thinks theirs stinks. They both run in a virtual machine "shell" within Mac OSX giving you access to both OSX and Windows on the fly, so many find it to be the best of both worlds if whatever Windows program(s) you are running aren't super intense.

Play around. Ask questions. Check out Apple's migrating to a mac and mac 101 videos. Most of all, enjoy your renewed :apple: journey and welcome to the Mac fold.

mario24601

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2010
Well I have had the Air 13 for a few days now and I can't put it down. I really like it, the speed is perfect for my use (so far). And I think for now I have decided not to install Win7 because I really want to learn OS X.

Couple of things I looked for:
1. Dead pixels - I could not find any using those websites that cycle colors.
2. Creaks - I tried pressing on the palm rest areas and could not hear anything.
3. Fan- It does kick on louder sometime but not too bad...much better than my Dell D430 (that is the old laptop I had been using, going up on ebay soon).
4. Machine marks - I looked pretty thorough with a SureFire flashlight and could not see any imperfections. The build quality is simply amazing.

Anything else that is common problems with the Air? Anything else I should look for?

Everything is so foreign to me, something as simple as uninstalling programs I cant seem to figure out, I guess I just have to keep reading more. I tried Firefox with flash and it seems to drain my battery alot faster so I will stick with Safari. Or do you guys recommend Chrome?

I will be getting Mac Office for it next week, not available until next week through my employer program, but I get it for $10 (US). Not bad right? The full version with Outlook etc.

Any other good programs you recommend? I tried Adium, I am use to using Trillian but Adium seems good too. Haven't tried VLC for mac, is that what you guys use for videos?

Thanks,
Mario

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
Everything is so foreign to me, something as simple as uninstalling programs I cant seem to figure out, I guess I just have to keep reading more. I tried Firefox with flash and it seems to drain my battery alot faster so I will stick with Safari. Or do you guys recommend Chrome?
I have been using Chrome for 18 months and love it. A brand new version, version 8.X was released just this week. Chrome installs Flash for you by default. Although I love Chrome, I don't like to have Flash graphics constantly coming up and shortening battery life. Fortunately, there is a way to have the best of both worlds. I have installed the AdBlock extension for Chrome and the FlashBlock extension for Chrome. Both of these extensions give you control over when Flash is loaded into memory. Highly recommended!

Pipper99

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
4. Machine marks - I looked pretty thorough with a SureFire flashlight and could not see any imperfections. The build quality is simply amazing.

Ha! I did the same thing with my Surefire Defender LED: using a flashlight with great build quality to check a computer with great build quality. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.