Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
Hello fellow Macrumorers,

After receiving some very helpful advice and suggestions over at this thread

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/127012/

I decided on a new camera, a Canon S1 IS, to replace my 4 year old little Nikon PAS. I don't know much (or anything really) about digital cameras or photography in general, but I would like to. I received my camera this past weekend and here are some of the initial pictures I took. So far, I am liking this camera very much.. especially when compared to my old one.

Image-B34380FFCCBE11D9.jpg

Image-B343666FCCBE11D9.jpg

I posted up more pictures at http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh/PhotoAlbum61.html

Let me know what you guys think. Keep in mind that I'm a newb, so don't be so too harsh ;)

I will be posting more pictures as I take them over at my website - http://homepage.mac.com/chibianh

Thanks.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The colors on the leaf one are very nice! I like the perspective of the flower too. :)

If you end up taking more photos like these, you may want to play with the aperture selective mode of the camera (usually called Av on Canons). You might be able to get more of the flower in focus at once that way, for instance, if you want to.

BTW, have you played with the long end of the zoom using image stabilization yet? I'm very curious about that.

EDIT: I like 265 -- the sail picture -- on your .mac site. Very nice perspective. Very interesting. And beautiful color.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
mkrishnan said:
The colors on the leaf one are very nice! I like the perspective of the flower too. :)

If you end up taking more photos like these, you may want to play with the aperture selective mode of the camera (usually called Av on Canons). You might be able to get more of the flower in focus at once that way, for instance, if you want to.

BTW, have you played with the long end of the zoom using image stabilization yet? I'm very curious about that.

EDIT: I like 265 -- the sail picture -- on your .mac site. Very nice perspective. Very interesting. And beautiful color.

Thanks for the kind words. I will definately play with the aperture more as I go along. Like I said before, i'm still new to all of this.

As for the long end zoom with IS, I have played with it. #279 was taken at full optical and digital zoom (32x) from my bedroom window. It came out pretty good if you ask me :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Very nice pictures. It seems that you like flowers. All of your pictures are very interesting. Keep up the good work. ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
chibianh said:
As for the long end zoom with IS, I have played with it. #279 was taken at full optical and digital zoom (32x) from my bedroom window. It came out pretty good if you ask me :)

Word of advice. Set your camera so that the digital zoom is de-activated, and forget you have this feature. It is utterly useless, so never, ever use it. If you want a digital zoom, take your photo later and crop the middle of the photo. That's all the digital zoom does anyway. :)

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I am VERY interested in your likes and dislikes with this camera. I am waiting for it's new cousin the S2 IS due out in mid June.

Is it too big, heavy, hard to carry?

I bet you just love that new camera smell! HUH?! :D

oh yea, like your pics!

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
wdlove said:
Very nice pictures. It seems that you like flowers. All of your pictures are very interesting. Keep up the good work. ;)

Thanks :) There isn't much around our yard worth taking pictures of.. lol.. that's why I only took pictures of plants.

mkrishnan said:
Word of advice. Set your camera so that the digital zoom is de-activated, and forget you have this feature. It is utterly useless, so never, ever use it. If you want a digital zoom, take your photo later and crop the middle of the photo. That's all the digital zoom does anyway.

aye aye.. :p

stubeef said:
I am VERY interested in your likes and dislikes with this camera. I am waiting for it's new cousin the S2 IS due out in mid June.

Is it too big, heavy, hard to carry?

I bet you just love that new camera smell! HUH?!

oh yea, like your pics!

I think i'm too infatuated with the camera currently to give an honest review. But to answer your questions, no it's not too big. I had thought it was actually bigger and was pleasantly surprised to find out it's smaller. As for the weight, I can't say yet as I've not carried it or held it for long periods of time. For the amount of time I have held it to take pictures, it didn't bother me. Speaking of holding it, it's not hard at tall.. fits nicely in my right hand. But again, I haven't really spent much time with it.

I was also looking at the S2, but did not want to wait, or spend twice as much. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.