Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
This is a public beta.

Have you signed up to the public beta program and if so, installed the public beta access utility?

Otherwise, I will just say this 10.10.2 version hasn't been released yet to the public. So if that is what you are looking for, you probably still have have quite a wait yet.

We probably have quite a few more builds to go before it is released to the public.

Yeah, I'm running 10.10.2 now 14C81f - but I don't see anything to upgrade to h.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
Yeah, I'm running 10.10.2 now 14C81f - but I don't see anything to upgrade to h.

14C81h is NOT an update to 14C81f.

The public seeds and developer seeds are on separate schedules and should be kept separate.

If a developer wants to run both programs concurrently, that's fine.

But don't mix them together because that confuses the bug reporting process and would potentially make such bug reports less useful to apple.

For example, I run 14C81f on a partition on a rmbp and 14C81h on a partition on an external hard drive.

It is all very well to say the builds are very close. That's true, but 14C81f could potentially have some bugs left over from previous developer betas that the public beta program has not been subjected to.

ncrypt

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
UK
New icons

New icons in Mail for marking messages read/unread

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 15.53.08.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-22 at 15.53.08.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 1,143

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Many thanks to tywebb13 for detailed instructions on how to extract the "standalone combo" updater from an App Store download.

Installed it onto my Yosemite "test bed" (OLD 2.5" IDE drive in a firewire400 enclosure) and it seems to be working fine on a late-2012 i7 Mac Mini...

AndreSt

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2014
My update is sitting in Update taunting me. Still not sure whether to install it.

My advice is to not install the 14C81h update. For me it breaks more than it fixes.

I'm personally rather disappointed about the latest development around Yosemite. I still considering the option to abandon Yosemite completely and return all recently bought Mac minis which don't run Mavericks.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
My update is sitting in Update taunting me. Still not sure whether to install it.

I agree with above post. Nothing about it seems stable enough to jump, and I'm usually right there, but I have a bad feeling about this one. Seems like it is being worked on as an afterthought. It's disappointing to see quality control stumbling from one iffy release to the next. They have done better in the past.

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Does anyone know what the Firmware update is about? Which Macs get the updated Firmware, and what does it address?

Good question! I have seen scenarios to install the 10.10.2 beta without the firmware and no one has indicated why the firmware is not good or what it is. If I have a Retina iMac , why would I not want the firmware! It seems no one knows. And if the firmware is essential, then why install the beta without it and have a part of what may be needed? By the way, I had problems installing the beta and the next day it installed perfectly and my system runs just fine. It is my option to use the Beta and I am aware of the ins and outs...not complaining.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Good question! I have seen scenarios to install the 10.10.2 beta without the firmware and no one has indicated why the firmware is not good or what it is. If I have a Retina iMac , why would I not want the firmware! It seems no one knows. And if the firmware is essential, then why install the beta without it and have a part of what may be needed? By the way, I had problems installing the beta and the next day it installed perfectly and my system runs just fine. It is my option to use the Beta and I am aware of the ins and outs...not complaining.

Well, my system runs pretty solid so ill leave the beta alone this time. I just wish I had more information about the Firmware.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Does anyone know what the Firmware update is about? Which Macs get the updated Firmware, and what does it address?

I think this "firmware update" is a myth. No one seems to be able to identify what it is or what macs it applies to. :rolleyes:

AndreSt

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2014
I think this "firmware update" is a myth. No one seems to be able to identify what it is or what macs it applies to. :rolleyes:

It's not a myth. Every Yosemite installer contains a set of EFI and SMC firmware packages. But I'm pretty sure that these are one for those machines which weren't fully updated before.

What I've observed is at least an update of the Bluetooth firmware:

Code:
30.12.14 16:17:34.000 kernel[0]: IOBluetoothUSBDFU::probe ProductID - 0x828F FirmwareVersion - 0x0079
30.12.14 16:17:41.000 kernel[0]: IOBluetoothUSBDFU::probe ProductID - 0xF007 FirmwareVersion - 0x0079
30.12.14 16:17:43.900 IOBluetoothUSBDFUTool[151]: firmware update complete
30.12.14 16:17:45.000 kernel[0]: IOBluetoothUSBDFU::probe ProductID - 0x828F FirmwareVersion - 0x0099

This happened on a MacBook Air 2014 after booting OS X 10.10.1 from a disk image that was previously created on another Mac.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I have installed it, but I don't really notice any differences.

On a side note, I had hoped the promise of better power management/battery life would have been fulfilled. Sadly, no such luck. Maybe the battery meter is more accurate than before, but the most I.m seeing is around 7 hours. Still good, but I was hoping for better.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I've just updated my new 13" 2014 rMBP with the developer seed (14C81f) via MAS, from 10.10.1

I took a note of the Boot ROM and SMC ROM versions prior to the update, and they are the same after the update. So I assume my machine didn't need any FW update.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 21, 2012
One way to tell if the firmware update is applied is to look at the size of the download. (Note I am only talking here about the public seed, not the developer one.)

If you got 472MB, you got the delta or patch without the firmware update.

If you got 741.7MB, you got the combo without the firmware update.

If you got 519MB, you got the delta or patch with firmware update.

If you got 788MB, you got the combo with firmware update.

It is however hard to use this method to determine if you got the delta or patch because those file sizes are almost the same (only 6 bytes difference).

Here are all file sizes for this build.

FirmwareUpdate.pkg (46.7 MB)

OSXUpd10.10.2PublicSeed.pkg (delta) (472 MB)

OSXUpd10.10.2PublicSeedPatch.pkg (patch) (472 MB)

OSXUpdCombo10.10.2PublicSeed.pkg (combo) (741.7 MB)

Also, if you were able to get the links using the methods I described before and replace the filenames for the delta or combo with FirmwareUpdate.pkg, this gives the direct link for the firmware update.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I am running this on my cMBP (mid 2012) purchased this year. Is around 7 hours battery life normal or should I expect better?

I have only upgraded and not performed a clean install. Aside from my iTunes library, there's really not many applications to back up. I'm just not sure it's worth it if it won't make any difference.

Opinions?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Advice

… why are people dodging this firmware update, is it not good for our systems?

When testing firmware that is bundled with prerelease software, I should treat that firmware in the same way as I treat the software – assume that it is for test purposes. Through testing you will discover whether it is good; and results should be fed to Apple.

Personally, if my computer is working well and is stable, why apply an update?

I assume that on computers where the firmware is applicable, the firmware and the pre-release software are designed to be compatible with each other. Testing a software update without a corresponding firmware update may have unpredictable results.

What is the information about these firmware updates? What do they fix?

As the firmware was bundled with the beta software, please consider the focus areas that are suggested by Apple. For developers with 14C81f, these areas appear to be as given in Apple Seeds OS X Yosemite 10.10.2 Build 14C81f to Developers – Mac Rumors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.