Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Really? I've had lockups on my iPad at most two or three times a year. Like I said, with my latest iPad (the 3rd gen), I can't remember it ever locking up on me yet. Of course, jailbroken devices are another story, but with a stock iPad, I've rarely had lockups. Is there any patterns to when your iPad locks up? Or are you still using the first gen, perhaps?

The image there has used the same method to determine space, so the Surface Pro has 10 GB less than the MBA.

I don't think I can recall my iPad locking up on me, ever. Look at his post history and see how surprising it is that his locks up. ;)

Right - because clearly I would like about all of my numerous apple devices I own locking up. Especially since I didn't state that everyone's does. Just citing my use case. Take off that tin foil hat buddy.

Night Spring - I have a 1st Gen. I'm not running the latest OS either. I'd have to check which one. But it's usually Safari and Email. Although there have been a game or two that have forced me to reboot.

The iPad definitely freezes FAR less than my MacBook Pro. But that doesn't surprise me given the crunching I make it do with the video editing, photoshop, motion and also running a VM.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
Right - because clearly I would like about all of my numerous apple devices I own locking up. Especially since I didn't state that everyone's does. Just citing my use case. Take off that tin foil hat buddy.

Night Spring - I have a 1st Gen. I'm not running the latest OS either. I'd have to check which one. But it's usually Safari and Email. Although there have been a game or two that have forced me to reboot.

The iPad definitely freezes FAR less than my MacBook Pro. But that doesn't surprise me given the crunching I make it do with the video editing, photoshop, motion and also running a VM.

Haha, I have no tin foil hat. Just saying what I see. :)

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
It really is. The touch screen laptop is truly something to behold, especially when it functions as a tablet as well. I've tried the Surface more than a few times, and I'm considering picking up the Pro version.

I too like Windows 8 . I just might go back to MS when a Surface Pro version 2 or 3 emerges.

Of course, that assumes Apple will not leapfrog MS with a touch screen hybrid Air-Tablet. Perhaps we'll find out if Steve Jobs was the necessary catalyst for everything Apple has accomplished or if this professional management team can imagine the future as well as Steve Jobs did.

For now, my loaded retina Macbook Pro, ipad3 and mini-ipad are a big step forward over my previous 40 years of wandering in the Microsoft/PC desert.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Not quite that many, but yeah, for the person who only uses a computer to visit the big three: Facebook, google, youtube... A 10” tab is where it’s at.

And Macrumors :p
I don't do anything much with my Macbook and really thinking just replacing it with an iPad.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
My macbook pro isn't (and doesn't claim to be) a tablet aimed at business users.

An MBA 11" + ipad mini comes in well under $2000. And yes, I'd rather have the 2 devices.

No i don't need to carry both around everywhere - i can take the iPad when i know i won't need the bulk, but if i am doing a trip, taking both an MBA and an iPad mini will give me vastly more usable battery and STILL be likely LESS WEIGHT than a single surface plus it's large 45 watt power brick. Plus a mouse. And I won't have to deal with a crappy keyboard.

Every time you use a surface pro in tablet mode, you're going to be carrying that big brick around with crappy battery life, a dearth of touch apps and a keyboard you can't use on your lap.

And yes, I agree version 2 will be the one to go for.

Hence my comments that it was a "typical microsoft version 1 product"

It's designed by committee and not by people who have actually used it, it would appear.

Couldn't have said it better...well, I probably could have but I'm far too lazy. Preach on brother throAU!

----------

And Macrumors :p
I don't do anything much with my Macbook and really thinking just replacing it with an iPad.

I kind of prefer the iPad Mini's form factor for goofing off.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
That is horrible logic and if Apple believed it they would never have tried "beating Nokia/Blackberry/etc. at their own game". Thank God they did because it fundamentally changed cell phones. MS may be onto something with the Surface and keyboard as the cover, but it is far too expensive, way too heavy, and with too short of battery life.

Apple owns the Premium tablet space. Every company that's put out a $500 ARM tablet and tried to go head to head with Apple in that space has failed. The only companies that have found success in the tablet market - Amazon, Google, and B&N, competed by creating a $200 space

When it comes to a Windows based tablet RT feels borderline pointless, if I cannot install and use any Windows like program I wish I saw no point, I might as well buy an iPad, however with the Surface Pro I can do anything and that changes a lot.

If they stuck an Atom in there instead of an ARM we would have been able to do that.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
If they stuck an Atom in there instead of an ARM we would have been able to do that.

I wonder if they will discontinue the Surface RT at some point, unless they make it better, it goes from meh to I would really love to own it. (Surface Pro)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

Your MBP does not freeze. Don't use it that way.

Renzatic

Suspended
You're right. It doesn't freeze. In fact - the opposite happens. It overheats :)

It's not overheating, man. It's warming up for your comfort.

That's how I use my iPad 3. If it's a really cold day out, and I want to warm up, I'll fire up a GPU intensive video game or something for about 20 minutes, then pop my iPad under my shirt.

Instant toasty. I'm thinking about getting a Mini so I can stuff it down the front of my pants to keep my junk warm.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You're right. It doesn't freeze. In fact - the opposite happens. It overheats :)

Steve set you straight when you were holding your iPhone wrong. Perhaps Tim will call and tell you how to use your MBP?

That's how I use my iPad 3. If it's a really cold day out, and I want to warm up, I'll fire up a GPU intensive video game or something for about 20 minutes, then pop my iPad under my shirt.

Instant toasty. I'm thinking about getting a Mini so I can stuff it down the front of my pants to keep my junk warm.

This is exactly why Apple makes their products run hot! I can't believe that so many people miss this. Maybe an Apple product costs a bit more, but you are also getting a portable, personal heater to carry with you.

Let us know how stuffing the iPad Mini in your pants works out for you. :D I'll bet if Steve did it there'd be millions of people walking around with a hint of iPad showing above their waistline.

OnlyGerman

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
This thing is actually pretty cool , its only a matter of time before apple comes out with a full osx tablet.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

But will it make s'mores?

Renzatic

Suspended
Let us know how stuffing the iPad Mini in your pants works out for you. :D I'll bet if Steve did it there'd be millions of people walking around with a hint of iPad showing above their waistline.

I'm thinking about making a pair of pants with one big pocket in the front specifically for my future iPad Mini. It'll be like the fanny packs of the 21st century, but actually useful cuz it keeps your junk warm.

samcraig said:
But will it make s'mores?

Okay. Let's think about this. I want to take something hot enough to cook s'mores and put it against my bare skin. Yeah. Right. That makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
Seriously, I think that some people are losing track of the issue here. Compare the surface pro to a tablet, and its sadly lacking in some areas.

Compare it to a macbook air 11 inch though.

About the same battery life (4-6 hours)
About the same performance
About the same amount of free space (seriously why is everyone complaining about the space, you get pretty much the exact same amount of space on a macbook air 128 gb or any other 128 gb notebook out there).

Lets not forget that the lion represents 1 GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes (base 10) and windows uses base 2 (1,073,ish,000 bytes) so the surface pro in macbook air terms has about 96 GB free space, about the same (I think surface includes office but correct me if im wrong). You can remove the recovery partition to a usb stick if you want more space. Microsoft isnt doing any misleading advertising here.

The surface pro offers pretty much all the power of the macbook air in a little lighter package at the same price but that can also be used in tablet form as well. Looks like a win to me.
You actually get a lot less free space - Mac OS includes iLife (10+GB) that can be uninstalled, where surface pro doesn't include office. Surface RT does.

Surface Pro is slower than the Macbook Air.

And you can't use it on your lap. The main function of a laptop is to use it on your lap.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm thinking about making a pair of pants with one big pocket in the front specifically for my future iPad Mini. It'll be like the fanny packs of the 21st century, but actually useful cuz it keeps your junk warm.

You'll have to make it flip up or with a flap or something for easy access when nature calls.

And don't forget that Sam is famous, so be respectful. If it gets hot enough to cook s'mores and it burns your junk, so be it.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Apple is falling behind on innovation. The surface has its flaws but creates a new model that merges the mobile and desktop OS and Apps into a tablet/laptop.
The cover that has a keyboard and mouse pad is another example of innovation.

Microsoft for years has been behind in music players, mobile phones & tablets. The surface is not really anything new that has already been done before. All it is Microsofts version in the already existing market of full blown OS on a tablet. The Surface Pro will always be for a niche market. The mostly innovative thing I've seen is the keyboard cover which does look interesting.

You mean for web browser usage, reading manuals or running remedial apps?
I guess they have a basic purpose for some business use but very limited.

You might want to take a second look at that. The iPad is taking the business world by storm. Many retail stores have adopted the iPad for point of sales such as Sears, which they used for purchasing my very own washer & dryer. Major airlines & Military are replacing flight manuals with iPads.

I see very little, if any, wide spread use of full window tablets compared to the iPad in business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.