Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
There was an interview on the news here the other night with some guy from Samsung and you could tell it was slanted to their favour the the reporter saying Apples dominance has been reduced because it's stocks have fallen, but no mention of the billions of cash Apple has or the fact the iPhone is still one of the most popular phones on the market.

The S4 might have some technical advantages over the iPhone but is it the phone people want? I suspect more people still want an iPhone even with the smaller screen. Heck I still use a 3Gs but will be finally upgrading later this year, just waiting on Apple to deliver the 5s.

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
If Apple's resistance to a larger screen has truly been that the quality isn't good enough, well, that's not really the case now.

So, if people truly want a larger screen (seems like many do), why not make it available. You could have two options (might be good to make the ratio the same, though, for scaling).

I have an iPhone 5 and I'm fine with the size, but I don't understand the excuses for not making a larger option available as well.

Apple's resistance is probably just that they don't want to make the phone big. I don't see what's so difficult if Apple can make a 15" rMBP with an amazing display! What Tim Cook says is just BS.

But I've never heard anyone in real life complaining about the screen being small, just nerds on this forum. I don't really want the screen to be much bigger than it already is.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
If you guys are worried about material quality and don't use cases buy a HTC One. Otherwise wait for the Note 3 or see what Motorola is going to release. Bottom line is that all will be better than a iPhone 5s.

How much you paid to say that?

As one who knows a lot about the paid posting industry I say three cents. That would be okay for an English as their second language worker in a third world country but if you live in the first or second world and speak English natively you really should be doing a better job.

----------

The galaxy s4 is actually pretty amazing except for the OS runs on it.

This , l

----------

The galaxy s4 is actually pretty amazing except for the OS runs on it.

This , like using AMOLED screens, is another factor that is not properly mentioned. Because Samsung only makes hardware there is zero software relevancy to a new hardware release (well it might be able to run the latest sweet tooth version of android in the next six months). To me the synchronization between os and hardware is important and all android vendors who don't get the nexus scepter suffer greatly from this

I have no doubt Samsung is working on their own android fork, their own os, and seeing what they can do with windows as the days of google android will likely be winding down in the next 24 months. Any primary android vendor not well on their way with an android escape plan is going to have huge problems.

----------

It's delusional to think the iPhone is primarily a phone. Many people rarely use the phone aspect of it.

Go to http://www.apple.com/iphone/ and you will have a hard time finding Apple themselves touting anything to do with using it as a phone.

Michael

Except the phone part in the name obviously/

----------

Water flavoring is just a gimmicky feature that doesn't work reliably. I mean who wants lime in their water? It's stupid.

There are people like me who decide to forego cases for portability and sleekness.

...though I do have to chuckle a bit when I see all these people talk about buying an iPhone because it's the thinnest, lightest, most compact phone on the market, then immediately slap it into an Otterbox Defender that makes it roughly the size of the larger Android phones.

"I wanted something I could easily fit in my pocket. I got that with my iPhone...which is now embedded inside this giant brick of rubber and plastic".

I don't get this thought process. It would make sense if these bigger android phones were as durable as the iPhone in an otterbox defender. Having a smaller base product means the ultra protected product is smaller so it still remains extremely important.

By your thought process, an iPhone with defender case is the same size as an android phone but indestructible. Why would anyone ever buy an android phone in thst case.

The whole irony of using a case on an iPhone is lost when most android devices are less sturdy to begin with...

----------

If you're going for an Android phone, get the HTC One. From what I hear, everything about it is superior to the GS4.

This seems to be a common refrain and is one of the few benefits of being an android user. You don't have to get stuck with the next generation of Samsung phone. If htc makes a better phone it is easy to switch because the os is the same.

So from that standpoint it seems the s4 is failing in that regard and that really should be a bigger issue than how it stacks up against the iPhone.

----------

There was an interview on the news here the other night with some guy from Samsung and you could tell it was slanted to their favour the the reporter saying Apples dominance has been reduced because it's stocks have fallen, but no mention of the billions of cash Apple has or the fact the iPhone is still one of the most popular phones on the market.

The S4 might have some technical advantages over the iPhone but is it the phone people want? I suspect more people still want an iPhone even with the smaller screen. Heck I still use a 3Gs but will be finally upgrading later this year, just waiting on Apple to deliver the 5s.
The problem with anyone using a

----------

The problem with anyone using apple's stock price as a sign of their health is their stock is seriously undervalued.

In a proper valuation it is 50%-100% below what it shouid be. The problem is when a lot of people try to use stock price to argue about specific products they don't understand what effects the stock price especially in the long term.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
You buy the thinner lighter version of a product then come on here complaining about thinner and lighter products was my point.

The ipad mini is the "lighter and thinner" version of the ipad ? :confused: excuse me i though it was the small version :rolleyes:

The force is strong....

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
How much you paid to say that?

As one who knows a lot about the paid posting industry I say three cents. That would be okay for an English as their second language worker in a third world country but if you live in the first or second world and speak English natively you really should be doing a better job.

----------

This , l

----------

This , like using AMOLED screens, is another factor that is not properly mentioned. Because Samsung only makes hardware there is zero software relevancy to a new hardware release (well it might be able to run the latest sweet tooth version of android in the next six months). To me the synchronization between os and hardware is important and all android vendors who don't get the nexus scepter suffer greatly from this

I have no doubt Samsung is working on their own android fork, their own os, and seeing what they can do with windows as the days of google android will likely be winding down in the next 24 months. Any primary android vendor not well on their way with an android escape plan is going to have huge problems.

----------

Except the phone part in the name obviously/

----------

I don't get this thought process. It would make sense if these bigger android phones were as durable as the iPhone in an otterbox defender. Having a smaller base product means the ultra protected product is smaller so it still remains extremely important.

By your thought process, an iPhone with defender case is the same size as an android phone but indestructible. Why would anyone ever buy an android phone in thst case.

The whole irony of using a case on an iPhone is lost when most android devices are less sturdy to begin with...

----------

This seems to be a common refrain and is one of the few benefits of being an android user. You don't have to get stuck with the next generation of Samsung phone. If htc makes a better phone it is easy to switch because the os is the same.

So from that standpoint it seems the s4 is failing in that regard and that really should be a bigger issue than how it stacks up against the iPhone.

----------

The problem with anyone using a

----------

The problem with anyone using apple's stock price as a sign of their health is their stock is seriously undervalued.

In a proper valuation it is 50%-100% below what it shouid be. The problem is when a lot of people try to use stock price to argue about specific products they don't understand what effects the stock price especially in the long term.
Congrats on having the most headache-inducing post in this thread.

Michael

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Marksman is so ignorant he used the term "second world country" thinking its the same as first world or third world....

Ignorant.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Because Samsung only makes hardware there is zero software relevancy to a new hardware release (well it might be able to run the latest sweet tooth version of android in the next six months).

Samsung fills their phones with software.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I keep hearing ZOMG IT’S SOOO BIG!!!!

But it doesn't really look all that big in the hand.

KzldL05.jpg

abc_galaxy_s4_mi_130423_wg.jpg

iphone-5-vs-Galaxy-S4.jpg

Note the size related to hands...

And before anyone mentions "one-handed use"

Where the hell is your other hand? Smartphones today are amazing little computers... I want to use as many hands and fingers as I can!

The only time I use one hand is if I'm thumb-texting while driving (which I shouldn't even do)

Otherwise... I'm using two hands... because... I have two hands. Typing is easier with two thumbs anyway. And so is poking a tiny link accurately with a fingertip.

Also... you cannot pinch-n-zoom with one thumb.

I'd say 99.999% of the time I hold my phone with my left hand and poke at it with my right index finger.

I don't buy this "phone too big to use your thumb" idea.

Thumbs suck for operating a smart device.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Look Android phones are great and awesome. Had many of them, including the GS3. But I chose iPhone this time around and I love this phone too. Neither phone is a clear winner, just preference. Stop wasting your own time badgering each other. You guys look stupid.

Suspended
Oct 24, 2007
I still us a 3Gs and works fine. Starting to feel slightly underpowered. But honestly that's because I use my phone for basic functions only. I wouldn't mind my phone being a bit smaller and lighter actually! I have other devices I prefer to use for mor complex tasks. Console for games, tv with media center for shows and movies, computer for work, iPad for intermediary things about the place like casual browsing, emailing and what not. I want my phone to make phone calls, SMS, MMS, quick check of emails, portable music and pod casts, some useful utilities. I don't need much of a display for any of it. Still I'll be happy to stay with this size. But looks like I won't have any choose when it comes to upgrading. Who knows maybe some day well get that wrist watch phone. Having said all that I do read this column from my phone, it's my last distraction before sleep.

----------

Where the hell is your other hand?

For some I can only guess where their other hand is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockondevil

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
I keep hearing ZOMG IT’S SOOO BIG!!!!
And before anyone mentions "one-handed use"

Where the hell is your other hand? Smartphones today are amazing little computers... I want to use as many hands and fingers as I can!

The only time I use one hand is if I'm thumb-texting while driving (which I shouldn't even do)

Otherwise... I'm using two hands... because... I have two hands. Typing is easier with two thumbs anyway. And so is poking a tiny link accurately with a fingertip.

Also... you cannot pinch-n-zoom with one thumb.

I'd say 99.999% of the time I hold my phone with my left hand and poke at it with my right index finger.

I don't buy this "phone too big to use your thumb" idea.

Thumbs suck for operating a smart device.

I only ever use any phone I have owned with 1 hand unless I want to do a quick pinch and zoom (usually I double tap as that works perfectly) or I am playing a game.

Obviously it's personal preference, but I personally believe a phone should be useable with 1 hand. It's a phone, not a tablet or a computer (yes they have very similar qualities to computers these days, but in the end it's still a phone).

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
iphone-5-vs-Galaxy-S4.jpg

Note the size related to hands...

There's something off with this picture, which could just be the perspective and having the iPhone 5 at front. :confused: First, my iPhone 5 is not that fat. Second, when I put my fingers like this persons along the length of it, I have no gaps or space at the end of it and I have relatively small hands for a bloke and that's just my three main fingers, with the pinkies tucked behind.

I feel this is a more authentic side by side comparison.
Galaxy-S4-Vs-iPhone-5-Pantalla.jpg

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
I think the biggest issue is that people greatly exaggerate the size of the larger Android phones. You can't go a page in one of these threads without someone talking about how they're too big to fit in their pocket, or hold with one hand, or blah blah blah. You've heard it all before.

Really, they're not that big. I could easily fit a 5 inch phone in my pocket. They're about roughly the width of your average wallet, and only a slight bit taller than the iPhone 5. They're bigger, sure, but not by vast amounts.

Unless someone's a hipster wearing skinny jeans about two sizes too small for them, everyone can fit a Galaxy S4 in their pants pocket and still have room to spare.

I've lost some weight and width over the years. My jeans arn't that skinny, but I'm already complaining about the size of an iPhone 5. Sure, it's fine when I stand, but when I sit, the phone stabs me in my hip joint because it's too long. It's extremely annoying. Annoying enough that I've many times considered buying an used iPhone 4S as a replacement.

A larger phone is a dealbreaker for me.

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Knew it

We knew those features would be flaky when they could not live demo them in that theatrical unveiling of a press release for the Galaxy S4.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
"Sound on the S4 is another problem. It still has just one tiny, tin-can-sounding speaker on the bottom back of the phone."

At least you can hear it!

Recently I was out with friend and we played sound clips. Mine were near impossible to hear, the S3 could manage a way higher volume.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
Somebody hit it with an ugly stick

A really ugly and cheap phone IMO. There are better android phones, and the iPhone is just in a totally different league. If Apple made such a piece of junk I'm sure nobody could sleep at night. But I think the one thing Samsung is teaching Apple is that people seem to want Phablets, which is interesting. You can see why Apple will be slow to adopt this idea. If you could make a really thin amazing phone that's bigger than the iphone but smaller than the ipad mini, then that will seriously cut into sales of computers, tablets, ipods, the works. Apple has got to be resisting this eventuality as long as they can get away with it.

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011
I don't understand the iPhone bashing here. I find it a bit unfair to compare a nearly one year old phone to the very latest in technology.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I thought the display on the S4 ( having seen it first hand ) is much nicer than that of the iPhone.

Haven't seen the S4 yet, but the S3 always seemed grainy due to Pentile tech, and its brightest setting was 50% of iPhone's brightness. It also had wonky colours/hues. I wonder...does the S4 have the same "painted-on" look of the iPhone 5? (Not sure how else to describe it.)

Also I found the UI was very smooth and fluid, just as you'd find on the iPhone.
Did you have all the new features enabled? I think the reviews have mentioned that's what causes the slowdown.

"Sound on the S4 is another problem. It still has just one tiny, tin-can-sounding speaker on the bottom back of the phone."

Just like the iPhone's speaker.

iPhone 5 has its speaker on the bottom, so it's not muffled if you set the phone down.

But... the phone is far too large IMO.

This is the one thing I like about it...I'd love a 5" iPhone. :p

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Did you just stumble into Mac rumors, sign up and then make thst post?

A key, if not primary element, of Mac rumors for many, many, many, many years is compiling reviews, information and rumors from other sources and sharing them their readers.

Review synopsis like these are very common and very appreciated by a large number of Mac rumor members. I have no desire to go around and hunt down five reviews for a product of only moderate interest. They do it for us.

Seriously next time think/read more and post less.

That's rather ironic advice for someone who doesn't even notice the join date of someone they are quoting.

So you like MacRumors because your too lazy to do a couple of google searches yourself. Good for you.

A key element of this site used to be decent well thought out articles. Occasionally doing there own bit of digging. Now they just copy and past a large majority of the "news" from other rumour sites.

You may well be happy with that, I am sure there are just as many who would prefer fewer but more constructive and relavent articles.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
There's something off with this picture, which could just be the perspective and having the iPhone 5 at front. :confused: First, my iPhone 5 is not that fat. Second, when I put my fingers like this persons along the length of it, I have no gaps or space at the end of it and I have relatively small hands for a bloke and that's just my three main fingers, with the pinkies tucked behind.

I feel this is a more authentic side by side comparison.

Yeah... but I wasn't comparing the iPhone 5 size to the Galaxy S4 size. I was just showing pictures of the Galaxy S4 in a hand.

People make it sound like using the Galaxy S4 is the equivalent of holding a clipboard.

I don't think it is.

The Galaxy S4 isn't much bigger than the Galaxy S3 that came before it... and people managed that just fine.

Of course you should try it out... but its not as though people have stopped buying phones of this size.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I only ever use any phone I have owned with 1 hand unless I want to do a quick pinch and zoom (usually I double tap as that works perfectly) or I am playing a game.

Obviously it's personal preference, but I personally believe a phone should be useable with 1 hand. It's a phone, not a tablet or a computer (yes they have very similar qualities to computers these days, but in the end it's still a phone).

To use a smartphone with one hand means the phone sits in your palm and is cradled by 4 fingers. Then your only interaction is with your thumb.

Like I said... I hate using my thumb as the primary input method. I'd much rather tap on things with an index finger. I guess it really is a personal preference.

And you also have to define what "useable" means. Is every function capable with just a thumb? Again... some things are better with a more accurate fingertip... not a thumb.

I might even flip the phone sideways and type on the larger landscape keyboard. That's 2 thumbs (and 2 hands)

Today's smartphone aren't just phones... they are much more exciting than that :)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The "small" iPhone screen is just fine, don't want to sew in an expanded pocket to hold the Galaxy (pun intended)

The one thing I really wish out of my iPhone is more battery life!
I want a fusion reactor for at least 12 hours of run time (more astronomic humor)

How about adding a flux capacitor and micro engine so it can move at 88 miles an hour too?

----------

A key element of this site used to be decent well thought out articles. Occasionally doing there own bit of digging. Now they just copy and past a large majority of the "news" from other rumour sites.

This is very true. And not a good sign at all. Not sure if the article writers here even care though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.