Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbauer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a laptop and I'm not sure which one would be a better fit. I'm a software/web developer so I'll be using apps for that (TextMate, Apache, MySQL, etc..). I'll also need to run a Windows VM for Visual Studio.

What would you recommend? MacBook or 15" MacBook Pro?

ceezy3000

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
The Valley!!
macbook, it can do pretty much everything now with the new graphics chip, and for what your doing you could of used the old intel gmax3100 and it wouldve been fine

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Depends on size of display you want.

For 13.3" is MacBook aluminum unibody or revB MacBook Air. The MBA costs more but is an amazing Mac. I own one and love it. Fastest Mac I have ever owned due to SSD. It's super portable but amazingly powerful.

Want a 15.4" buy a refurbished unibody MBP for $1699. Want a 17", you can buy a past generation for around same price - the new one will set you back more.

All the Mac notebooks are excellent computers. I love the portability of my new MBA, and I am glad I paid the extra money over the standard model for a 1.86 and SSD. I would not say any of the three Mac notebooks is a bad choice. All comes down to your preference as they all can do the job nicely.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I agree that the new MB is a lovely machine, while the MBA is stunning if portability is your main need. However, from what you write, your needs seem to call for an excellent screen, and for that, and for performance and power, the MBP is still the best on offer.

Cheers and good luck

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
As a developer, you would probably appreciate the extra screen real estate afforded by the Pro. I'm not sure how graphically intense Visual Studio is, but the Pro also offers more graphical processing power.

That said, the MacBook is far more portable, and I would probably choose that plus a decent external monitor. The 13.3" display is enough to do most work on (I've written long essays on it), and when you're at home, you have the benefit of lots of screen space. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If you primarily do your work at your desk, and will rarely use it outside of home or the office, go with the MacBook + external display. If you're programming, a higher resolution screen is better, so the external LCD is essential. The MB's resolution is too low for such work, but in the case where you don't leave the desk often, the display is tolerable for doing a bit of work here and there, and it's a small, neat little computer that you can use easily on airplanes, buses, cafés, etc.

However, if you plan on using your machine away from your home or office quite often, go with the 15" MBP despite the fact it's heavier and larger in size. You'll need to use your laptop's LCD more often, and the 15" MBP will give you a bit more resolution to work with. The 13" MB's screen resolution is too low to work comfortably for long periods of time away from the desk, so despite being lighter and smaller in size, it may not be the best work computer for a programmer.

I know that's the opposite of what others may suggest since the MacBook is more portable, but that's my recommendation. ;)

sbauer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Because of the screen size, I'm leaning towards the MBP. I don't need anything extremely portable, but I also won't be near a monitor all the time.

Also, VMWare Fusion seems to be pretty slick. How is it? Pretty positive? I'm thinking that might be perfect for my situation.

Rayban

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Because of the screen size, I'm leaning towards the MBP. I don't need anything extremely portable, but I also won't be near a monitor all the time.

Also, VMWare Fusion seems to be pretty slick. How is it? Pretty positive? I'm thinking that might be perfect for my situation.

VMWare is great. I have the Windows 7 Beta running on it's very responsive and fast.

sbauer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Baltimore, MD
VMWare is great. I have the Windows 7 Beta running on it's very responsive and fast.

Nice. Good to hear.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I just purchased a MacBook Pro. I guess I'll be around here a lot more often now. Again, thanks for the help everyone.

JonMcDonald

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
Nice. Good to hear.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I just purchased a MacBook Pro. I guess I'll be around here a lot more often now. Again, thanks for the help everyone.

Congrats on the buy. I'm sure you'll quickly see how Mac > PC :). And the set up is literally as easy as 1-2-3. Just some advice for someone who just bought a Mac that hasn't used a Mac before...youtube trackpad tricks for Mac. You'll be amazed at what you can do! Learn Expose and Spaces, it'll help you keep the machine clean and simple :).

Anddd stick around!

Hoo03

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2007
Virginia
Nice. Good to hear.

I am sure you will be very happy with your new MBP. Congrats on your purchase. Which model/version of the MBP did you end up choosing?

sbauer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Baltimore, MD
Congrats on the buy. I'm sure you'll quickly see how Mac > PC :). And the set up is literally as easy as 1-2-3. Just some advice for someone who just bought a Mac that hasn't used a Mac before...youtube trackpad tricks for Mac. You'll be amazed at what you can do! Learn Expose and Spaces, it'll help you keep the machine clean and simple :).

Anddd stick around!

Thanks a lot. I hope so. When I get home I'll check out the video. Is Expore the window moving tool that's mapped to the F10/F11/F12 buttons? I've heard of Spaces, but I can't remember what that actually is. Looks like I have some reading to do.

I am sure you will be very happy with your new MBP. Congrats on your purchase. Which model/version of the MBP did you end up choosing?

Thanks a lot. I got the 2.4GHz 15" MBP. I didn't modify anything from the base. I did buy a 4GB RAM upgrade from another site, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.