First Time Screen Repair and Questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BigMcGuire, Dec 14, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jan 10, 2012
    Hello All,

Verizon Wireless. iPhone 5 purchased at Apple Store.

Background: I broke my 4s's screen on cement totally shattering the front screen (no Apple Care) but I want to get it replaced - I'm willing to pay the $200 or $150 to get it replaced.

Background: I got an iPhone 5 (17 days since I bought it) with AppleCare+ and after 1+ years of a nekkid iPhone 4s with 0 scratches -- I've got a .5 cm scratch on the front screen, scratches on the back, and black paint chipping off the phone like crazy. WiFi doesn't give internet access on some routers.

1. Is it $150 or $200 to replace the front glass on a 4s? I hear they don't actually replace the glass but just give you a refurbished phone? Do you guys/gals know? If no refurbished, how long does the screen repair take?

2. Re iPhone 5: Is there anyway to return this or get it exchanged? I wouldn't mind going up to 32GB but I imagine the scratches and chipping paint makes that ineligible even though I'm within the 30 days?

3. I read that you can return after 30 days - I wouldn't mind paying for the damage I've done but I'd like to get my Upgrade back. If I return the iPhone 5 (if they let me) will I get my Verizon upgrade back? (Purchased 17 days ago).

I don't think my 5 is going to last very well. Because of that I'm repairing my 4s and am planning on using it for most of my texting - going to use skype to call, etc so I don't wear out my 5...

Thanks for the information and the time,
  2. macrumors 6502

Apr 24, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
  3. macrumors 6502a

Nov 13, 2012
  4. macrumors member

Dec 14, 2012
    Phoenix, Az
    Just order a new 4s screen or a cdma screen and cut it to fit repair should take a newbie like 1 hour to do follow ifixit and you are golden

don't pay $200 for a new 4s you can even have it repaired at a shop for $70-$100

or people buy em like that for about $200
  5. macrumors 68030

Apr 30, 2012
    i just got a replacement 4S screen for my brother on icracked for $74. and the replacement screen comes with tools needed for the repair, directions and video tutorials. screw paying $150-200 for a whole replacement. took me about an hour.