Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheKrillr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
direzz said:
this goes to show how behind apple is in updating.
clearly they arent ready to adapt to an intel platform. the cant even make simple processor adjustments on time!
all the major companies have made this transition.

apple needs to stop being so secretive. they need to start acting like a real computer company, and let there customers know when upgrades are coming.
i wouldnt be surprised if we didnt see these upgrades till october.. no.. january.

this is ridiculous.

/end rant

On time? The other companies just announced, and are not actually shipping. Give apple time, I'm sure they'll be shipping before the others. :)

direzz

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2006
TheKrillr said:
On time? The other companies just announced, and are not actually shipping. Give apple time, I'm sure they'll be shipping before the others. :)

yea, with tons of problems to the machines.

i love apple, but everytime i buy one of there laptops, they suck!

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
TheKrillr said:
Speaking of returns, is there a possibility of buying the machine and if they don't auto-upgrade me to the new one, return it and buy a new one?

Only if you buy the machine but don't open the box (unless you're willing to pay a 10% restocking fee). And that's only if you get the standard config, no custom BTO. Plus if you order it, you'll pay shipping back to them.

direzz said:
this goes to show how behind apple is in updating.
clearly they arent ready to adapt to an intel platform. the cant even make simple processor adjustments on time!
all the major companies have made this transition.

Actually NONE of the pc companies have made the transition. They haven't shipped a single machine with the new chips, just made announcements of shipments days or weeks away (and that was just earlier today...even if apple was behind, they'd only be hours behind, not even a full day). Right now apple is only behind in press releases, which has nothing to do with being ready to adapt to an intel platform. Now ranting about PC companies that haven't shipped the new machines yet...THAT is ridiculous.

TheKrillr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
direzz said:
yea, with tons of problems to the machines.

i love apple, but everytime i buy one of there laptops, they suck!

Then I pose the following:

a) Why are you still buying them?
b) Why are you still here?

TheKrillr

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2006
milo said:
Only if you buy the machine but don't open the box (unless you're willing to pay a 10% restocking fee). And that's only if you get the standard config, no custom BTO. Plus if you order it, you'll pay shipping back to them.

Hmmm.... looks like if I want to, I'll have to ebay it. :p Thanks for the info though.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I think the whining (about notebooks being crap) is the fact that there is so much demand for it that Apple has no time to actually test the product.

It's a good thing that they offer free replacements for those that find defects actual defects in the machines. Usually the first batch is not so perfect, and that goes for all computer manufacturers.

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
iMikeT said:
You try making something perfect the first time around.

To be fair, direzz is just one person, not a major corporation who pride themselves on providing peerless products with few defects. That being said, with technology, there's always a certain percentage of failure rate with new systems. Eventually they work those out, but if you're an early adopter, then you run a higher risk of being in that percentile.

Additionally direzz, you said everytime you've bought a new apple product it's had defects. Yet you still buy from them. There's got to be a point where you should just say, "screw it. I'm not buying from X corporation anymore because I get bad products every time." Vote with your money. Go buy somewhere else. I would certainly go to another manufacturer if every product I bought from a particular company was defective.

Then again, you haven't really told us what you consider defective is. Sometimes programs crash, even on a mac. Sometimes little things happen that make you say, "darnit." Then you move on because it's not that big of a deal. Then there are some things, like a MB randomly shutting down, or batteries bursting into flames that make you say, "holy crap! This thing is messed up! And this is my third mac that this has happened to!" In other words, don't sweat the little stuff. :)

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
milo said:

Actually NONE of the pc companies have made the transition. They haven't shipped a single machine with the new chips, just made announcements of shipments days or weeks away (and that was just earlier today...even if apple was behind, they'd only be hours behind, not even a full day). Right now apple is only behind in press releases, which has nothing to do with being ready to adapt to an intel platform. Now ranting about PC companies that haven't shipped the new machines yet...THAT is ridiculous.

I also think (this is my personal opinion, is not based on facts but just my impression) that apple has more "intense" followers than HP o Dell. Apple fans are always waiting for the latest and greatest from apple. They talk about new products making all kinds of speculation and rumors. (just like this thread)

While HP and Dell (gateway, toshiba etc) dont seem to have people as excited about their new product releases. They can say, in two weeks we will release this laptop with this processor and no one really cares as much as if apple would make the same statement.

These companies just sell appliances. People who are in the market for a windows based PC/laptop just look at what is currently available and buy what fufills their needs. Then they forget about HP (or any other manufacturer) until is time to replace their equipment.

But then again I may be wrong.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
miller218 said:
What about the Robson flash technology. That sounds like the greatest thing since a laptop with a palmrest on the bottom and an "upside down" logo.

of course that would be useful and by all means wait another year if you must, but personally i'd rather just buy now and then upgrade later as if it's really that amazing then the sockets are still compatable and an easy upgrade.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Depends on if the PC manufacturers are SHIPPING the Core 2 Duo laptops. If Apple announces that the new Merom laptops are available and are ready to ship that day, then it isn't a big deal.

If Apple is being beat to market on hardware, then Apple should go back to PowerPC because they're no different then any other PC manufacturer, with their switch to Intel.

There is a significantly less amount of wiggle room for them, they will now have to answer to shareholders, about why they are taking so long to roll out a product that all the other PC manufacturers are shipping.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
swingerofbirch said:
As an Apple investor I am dissapointed because I know how this looks to the inudstry: Apple has been pansted.

Give me a break. The industry completely understands that none of these laptops is shipping for at least a week or two. As long as apple SHIPS machines about the same time as everyone else, what "pantsing" has taken place outside of the minds of apple fanboys?

SC68Cal said:
Depends on if the PC manufacturers are SHIPPING the Core 2 Duo laptops.

They're not. You're seriously whining about "taking so long" when the first announcements came *earlier today*? Really? A "delay" of HOURS is something shareholders are going to freak out over???

HecubusPro

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Los Angeles
SC68Cal said:
There is a significantly less amount of wiggle room for them, they will now have to answer to shareholders, about why they are taking so long to roll out a product that all the other PC manufacturers are shipping.

But since the other companies (Dell, HP, etc.) aren't actually shipping their C2D laptops and systems for at least another two weeks, I don't think Apple is sweating it, and I'm betting their shareholders aren't worried either.

Apple is probably simply waiting until their shipments from overseas that are due to hit on the 5th, are actually in stores and online ready to purchase before they make the announcement. If they do announce on the 5th or 6th, they'll pobably be available to order and ship that day. In that sense, they would actually be shipping before any of the other manufacturers. If they wait until the following week, or the week after, they'll still be shipping at or about the same time as the other companies.

Apple won't be behind on shipments just because they're behind on announcements. They probably just want to have their systems available before they announce them.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
milo said:
Give me a break. The industry completely understands that none of these laptops is shipping for at least a week or two. As long as apple SHIPS machines about the same time as everyone else, what "pantsing" has taken place outside of the minds of apple fanboys?

Apple always claims that Macs are better than PCs. Dell and HP aren't making those same claims. I've never heard either company publicly dump on Apple. Apple dumps on them on TV all the time.

So with all this dumping going on, Apple better have at least equal hardware. They were first out with the core 2 duo xeon and with yonah.

But with Merom/Conroe, make no mistake, they have been pansted.

If they don't come out soon, there will be a public flogging.

Now mind you, I say this as an investor, not as an enthusiast.

Being both an enthusiast and investor makes me as a whole a critical enthusiast, but far from a fanboy or apologist.

We expect that we can throw stones at Windows, but that Apple will never be bruised? (Get it...windows breaks...and apples bruise if you hit them..haha)

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
swingerofbirch said:
So with all this dumping going on, Apple better have at least equal hardware. They were first out with the core 2 duo xeon and with yonah.

I don't know about woodcrest...but they were definitely not the first with yonah.

Duujo

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2005
Melbourne
Quote:
"Originally Posted by X5-452
So, uh.... PowerBook G5's tomorrow?"

freeny said:
I think my new rule will be to automatically place anyone using that line on my ignore list.

It lost its funny a long time ago.:rolleyes:

Ha, it makes me laugh still, 'cause it annoys other people..! :p

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
HecubusPro said:
To be fair, direzz is just one person, not a major corporation who pride themselves on providing peerless products with few defects. That being said, with technology, there's always a certain percentage of failure rate with new systems. Eventually they work those out, but if you're an early adopter, then you run a higher risk of being in that percentile.

Additionally direzz, you said everytime you've bought a new apple product it's had defects. Yet you still buy from them. There's got to be a point where you should just say, "screw it. I'm not buying from X corporation anymore because I get bad products every time." Vote with your money. Go buy somewhere else. I would certainly go to another manufacturer if every product I bought from a particular company was defective.

Then again, you haven't really told us what you consider defective is. Sometimes programs crash, even on a mac. Sometimes little things happen that make you say, "darnit." Then you move on because it's not that big of a deal. Then there are some things, like a MB randomly shutting down, or batteries bursting into flames that make you say, "holy crap! This thing is messed up! And this is my third mac that this has happened to!" In other words, don't sweat the little stuff. :)

To be fair to direzz, he said that every mac LAPTOP he bought has sucked, not every computer.

I will buy a macbook soon, but I am worried after so many bad reports. And to add to that a friend bought a 17" MBP not so long ago and the workmanship really did look pretty shoddy and rushed. Sure enough, the keypad is now white and there is a nice discolored patch on her desk where the thing overheated.. how apple compares to other corporations, I don't honestly know. I like apple computers because they have been the most stable machines I've worked with and owned...maybe I had the bad luck of the draw with PC's. Anyway, any company will make a buck in whatever way possible-and will even vilify itself when it gets caught going a little too far in reducing labor costs:rolleyes: . They do it because they know they can get away with it. My friend with the pos MBP doesn't even want to complain about it. I don't think she is atypical...

Neh, Merom, schmerom. Not sure why a small change in processor will suddenly make macs comparatively worse computers..Apple 'competed' with the G4 chip all these years, I can't imagine that failure to announce an update the same day as a bunch of companies that also make sub-par products is really going to make a big difference. I think the financial argument is just another way of saying:"I want a [insert computer name] with a Merom chip NOW."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.