Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
Can anyone find the exact screen details? Looking for length and width (may want to trim down a Vivoactie HR screen protector).

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's cute watching these little companies trying to take on fashion like Apple.

I think the joke is on you. Take off your Apple blinders and take a look at the rest of the tech world. There were interchangable Fitbit fashion bands long before the AW existed. In fact Apple stole the idea from them. But also the term "fashion" is dubious. Neither Apple nor Fitbit make anything truly fashionable. Faddish, yes.
[doublepost=1472502195][/doublepost]
If you were someone who is a serious swimmer, I would be interested to see how accurate the swim track feature is. Definitely a feature that could gain more attention if it serves well.

My guess is it's as accurate as the walk tracking feature, that is to say, accurate +/- 1/2 mile. I would think a serious swimmer would opt for a true swim tracking watch just as a runner would a real running watch. Fitbits can be great motivation aids to keep one off the couch but when things get real it's time for a dedicated sports watch and not an activity tracker. I know that's how it worked out for me.

jun180

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
Doesn't change the fact that they're still a little company. Their quarterly results aren't even close to Apple's, and their market cap is 173 times smaller. That and they went from making cheap looking plastic fitness bands to fancy leather and rose gold bands similar to the Apple Watch. If they're so confident then why the change to copy a weaker-positioned Apple?

Nobody who cares about fitness gives a **** about apples market capitalisation versus Fitbits. They care about how the device works for the intended job. Talk about typical Apple fanboy bs.

These new Fitbit devices are targeted at people who want accurate fitness tracking with a fantastic app to support the experience. It does the job well, something the Apple Watch does not even come close too when it comes to fitness. Yes I own an AW and a Fitbit charge HR. The AW has been sitting in the drawer gathering dust while the Fitbit is used daily.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Nobody who cares about fitness gives a **** about apples market capitalisation versus Fitbits. They care about how the device works for the intended job. Talk about typical Apple fanboy bs.

These new Fitbit devices are targeted at people who want accurate fitness tracking with a fantastic app to support the experience. It does the job well, something the Apple Watch does not even come close too when it comes to fitness. Yes I own an AW and a Fitbit charge HR. The AW has been sitting in the drawer gathering dust while the Fitbit is used daily.

Nobody cares? That's what this whole discussion was about. Fitbit is small compared to Apple. That was the original conversation, in case you forgot. They are copying Apple's look with rose gold and these leather bands in these pastel like colors with a larger display. That's a fact. They made plastic bands that looked bad for years and provided little in the way of smart information. I, too, own a Charge HR and an Apple Watch. The Apple Watch gets used because it's far more useful and beautiful. To each their own, but don't try to turn around the original discussion and then blame me for being a fanboy just because you are wrong. I criticize Apple a ton on this site.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm waiting to see what the Watch 2 brings. Ended up getting an Alta which I'm liking quite a bit, but there are things I'd like to see improved. I held off on HR with the thought they might do one like this. So I'll be looking at both the Watch 2 and the HR 2 and when we get to that point.

My guess is the Apple Watch 2 will offer GPS at minimum. I don't believe we will see to many health sensors/advancements yet in version 2. GPS should bring a larger battery, S2 chip to couple the power.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
After investing in a $120 Jawbone Up 2 that had its band break before a year, I went with the $24 Up Move - been using that for awhile. Everyone on my family got one too. It looked terrible on the wrist so I used it as a clip on my pants. App experience was OK.

Today my wife and I got a Fitbit Alta. We've been planning on it for some time (saved up for it). We're pretty happy having a watch again (that doesn't look horrid). The app seems a heck of a lot more serious than Jawbone's UP app. Fitbit seems to work better/faster too. Love the ability to tell time without having to pick up my phone. LOVE the ability to see data on website.

Bummed that the app doesn't interact with Apple Health but ... not really thrilled with Apple health either.

The new bands didn't interest us enough, I guess.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
They are doing what apple do at less than a THIRD of the price, that just shows you how much Apple is ripping off their customers
This could be one of the silliest, most transparent trolling comments I've seen posted here.

Anyone (else) who honestly thinks this new Fitbit and the Apple Watch do the exact same things with the same hardware and software capabilities, raise your hand. They're not even designed to. Maybe Apple Watch is overpriced, maybe it isn't; maybe it's trying to do too much, maybe it isn't; but I guarantee it's going to be more expensive than even a Fitbit with a fancier band and it utterly should be.

Reactions: manu chao

Ronlap

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2007
San Francisco Bay Area
*Sigh* I really wanted to like my Fitbit and have gone through the original and two HR's. In all cases, they take forever to sync to whatever they are syncing to - and their message boards are full of comments by people in the same boat. They might want to think about fixing that problem.

Even though it is bigger and heavier, I am now wearing my Apple Watch 24x7 except for a short charging period because it syncs transparently.

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
After investing in a $120 Jawbone Up 2 that had its band break before a year, I went with the $24 Up Move - been using that for awhile. Everyone on my family got one too. It looked terrible on the wrist so I used it as a clip on my pants. App experience was OK.

Today my wife and I got a Fitbit Alta. We've been planning on it for some time (saved up for it). We're pretty happy having a watch again (that doesn't look horrid). The app seems a heck of a lot more serious than Jawbone's UP app. Fitbit seems to work better/faster too. Love the ability to tell time without having to pick up my phone. LOVE the ability to see data on website.

Bummed that the app doesn't interact with Apple Health but ... not really thrilled with Apple health either.

The new bands didn't interest us enough, I guess.
It's funny you say that, because I liked the UP app more than the Fitbit app, because it offered some cool coaching features. However Fitbit's hardware seems to be better.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
It's funny you say that, because I liked the UP app more than the Fitbit app, because it offered some cool coaching features. However Fitbit's hardware seems to be better.

Agreed, I'm just noticing this. The "coach" of the Up app doesn't seem to be on the Fitbit app. I am really going to miss that. I really liked that. That said, loving all the pretty stats and graphs on the Fitbit app and the ability to see the dashboard online.

Reactions: LotusLord

yngrshr

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2015
NJ
I've had a lot of fun with some of the newer challenges on Fitbit. And the virtual hikes and stuff that they added seem like fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.