Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I'm not sure it's a fair comparison as activity bands only do a subset of smartwatch functions. That said, perhaps it does make a statement that the additional cost of a smartwatch is not worth the suppose additional functionality. Or maybe people just want something inexpensive and easy to use to help them motivate themselves to be more active. Maybe smartwatches are overkill for all but the most gadgety of gadget hounds. Or maybe they just need a lot more work before people can justify the price tag.

Reactions: The Mercurian

Blur128

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2014
So if it's on a nightstand charging how is an Apple Watch tracking your sleep pattern and RHR? If the battery needs charging almost every day how is it both a non-issue and "better in every way" because clearly it isn't.

It might have a good enough battery for a "smart watch" but when compared to dedicated fitness devices which are also platform agnostic it doesn't hold up at all. And when compared to something like a Fenix 3 the Apple Watch is absolutely pitiful in every regard from a sports and fitness perspective.

So better in every way? No, not even close to an accurate statement.

It's not designed to be a sleep tracker. If you want a sleep tracker get something else. As far as tracking health. I have no problem with it tracking my workouts and running. You clearly don't know how to use your device correctly.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Fitbit will always sell better than Apple if they keep the price difference as huge as most of their bands have today. A lot of people cannot, or do not want to, spend the amounts of cash required to own an Apple Watch. Apple will always be more exclusive in that way. They will also provide features that bands do not. The key, as with the phone, has been to build a great experience that people will pay a premium for. In the end, Apple will stay the high road and make tons of profit, while everyone else takes the low road and competes of crumbs and few will turn any profit.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Just to clarify, when I say 'last a day' I mean a full day with sleep tracking. I know some people's AW doesn't last a 'day' as in until the evening but I was taking this further into sleep tracking..which is what fitness trackers do and the AW doesn't do so well. I hope Apple improves to compete in this field

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
IMO Apple got the form factor wrong on this. Now I know some folks will disagree, but most people don't want a fully functional computer on their wrist - especially when they already carry one in their pocket.

Ultimately the market here is in the health applications. And IMO that is what Apple should focus on. The spoils will belong to whoever can crack a device that can reliably monitor a) blood glucose and b) blood pressure. If you had an effective watch that could monitor blood glucose and save patients from sticking themselves with needles several times a day - you will sell alot of watches - even at Apple premium prices.

Reactions: mkeeley

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
What sold me on an Apple Watch. The poor quality, inaccuracy, syncing, and digital face, of a fitness watch I purchased (returned). Very happy with my Apple Watch.

Dr.Chroma

Suspended
Apr 11, 2016
Your mileage may vary with the Apple Watch. I love mine and can't wait for Gen 2. There are improvements that are certainly in need, in which will hopefully be addressed in Gen 2. Now, I love the look of the Apple Watch, some are turned off by the look of the Watch.

I know Fitbit is doing really well and that's great. But it's in my opinion, the Fitbit Blaze is hideous. I will say the Stainless Steel Apple Watch'a build quality is outstanding, I still have zero scratches on the casing or sapphire screen. Worth the extra purchase, yes, it's expensive, the saphirre pays for itself. I know a lot of Sport Watch owners not happy with be scratch resistant Ion-X Glass durability.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
IMO Apple got the form factor wrong on this. Now I know some folks will disagree, but most people don't want a fully functional computer on their wrist - especially when they already carry one in their pocket.

Ultimately the market here is in the health applications. And IMO that is what Apple should focus on. The spoils will belong to whoever can crack a device that can reliably monitor a) blood glucose and b) blood pressure. If you had an effective watch that could monitor blood glucose and save patients from sticking themselves with needles several times a day - you will sell alot of watches - even at Apple premium prices.
I think this is coming and the market will be huge. And it is already here with wearable/implantable medical devices; just has to be hooked into the AW.

As far as the thread, I like my Surge. It lasts a few days of constant wearing, even when the gps function is used to track light walks/runs.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I'm not surprised. Fitness wearables have often better battery life, still receive phone notifications, waterproof, and also, a lot cheaper. The fitness functionality isn't so great in smartwatches ( excluding those such as the Garmin Vivoactive and similar ) compared to a dedicated fitness tracker.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Of course. They have great battery life, very functional, and are affordable.

3 things the Apple Watch isn't.

1) Because they don't do nearly a half of what smartwatch does.
2) Yes, for telling you how many steps you have done and how many calories you have burned mainly.
3) The entire reason why they outsell smartwatches in my opinion. Many people love cheap stuff. I see £1 shops in UK are always overcrowded.

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
Apple should definitely make a fitness band, the activity app was the one thing I missed when I sold my Apple Watch - I now have a FitBit Alta, but it's basic and ugly, though funtional
Agreed! If they make a fitness band. I will buy one for sure (along with millions of people who don't require an Apple watch or have the money to buy one).

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
When people are exercising and being active, the last thing they want to do is damage or scuff a $300 Apple Watch.
Cheaper Fitbits serve a huge segment that just want a fitness tracker, that won't cost them an arm and a leg should it get lost or dinged.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Apple will never have a chance at winning this category unless the Apple Watch can one day work without an iPhone.

The Mercurian

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2012
Apple will never have a chance at winning this category unless the Apple Watch can one day work without an iPhone.

On the contrary, the should dumb it down and simply make the best fitness/health band there is. Nobody expects a fitness band to be independent of their phone.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
On the contrary, the should dumb it down and simply make the best fitness/health band there is. Nobody expects a fitness band to be independent of their phone.

By work without an iPhone, I mean work with any phone as a Fitbit and such.

As long as an Apple Watch only works with apple products. On numbers alone they can never win.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.