Fixed Length String??

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Fritzables, Mar 27, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I am having trouble working out how to create a fixed length string.

I have a need to create a NSString that has a maximum number of characters of 12.

If I assign a sting that has 6 characters then the balance of the would need to be 6 blank spaces for example.

Is this at all possible or will it always be trimmed.

Pete

2. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Perhaps thing somewhat backwards. What if you started with a 12 space NSString and then replaced a portion of it with your possibly less than 12 space string.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

G'Day Jared,

I will give it a try and see what comes out the other end.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Well.... I managed to find something that works for me. I used a variation of:

Code:
    NSString *mycall = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@",[stnCallSign stringValue]];
    mycall = [mycall stringByPaddingToLength:12 withString:@" " startingAtIndex:0];

Pete

5. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I guess thats one way to do it. I was thinking something like this. The NSString class never ceases to amaze!

Code:
    NSString *blanks = @"            ";
    NSString *insert = @"test";
    NSString *out = [blanks stringByReplacingCharactersInRange: NSMakeRange( 0, [insert length]) withString: insert];

With appropriate boundary conditions to ensure that insert wasn't longer than blanks, etc...

Why would you go through this trouble instead of just..
    Code:
    NSString *mycall = [stnCallSign retain];

or just..
    Code:
    NSString *mycall = [stnCallSign stringByPaddingToLength:12 withString:@" " startingAtIndex:0];

6. macrumors 603

stnCallSign probably isn't an NSString. Note the use of stringValue in the OP code. This is not an NSString method AFAIK.

Also, retain is unbalanced, so that's a leak.

You probably meant something more like this:
    Code:
    NSString *mycall = [stnCallSign stringValue];

or this:
    Code:
    NSString *mycall = [[stnCallSign stringValue] stringByPaddingToLength:12 withString:@" " startingAtIndex:0];

But I do agree with you that the senseless use of stringWithFormat: should be burned with fire. Because the short analysis of the problem is: "It's already an NSString".

7. macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Yeah, obviously I meant the interim -(NSString *)stringValue;
    And I certainly didn't mean to unbalance a retain, I just meant for him to think about ownership, like -retain or -copy instead of +stringWithFormat:;