Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raiu0009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Hey everyone. I'm using a 2011 27" iMac on Mavericks OS X 10.9.2 (13C64).

A few months ago, I bought a Windows 7 Disk and installed it onto Boot Camp. Everything was working well, until I resized the Windows 7 partition to take up unallocated space from within Windows---something I NOW know is a bad idea. I was able to boot into Windows using ALT once, but yesterday while using Windows I all of a sudden got a black screen (This may explain everything.) When I rebooted, I could no longer boot into Windows when I pressed ALT during startup.

I was able to create a new MBR, which now allows me to select Windows from the boot menu, except now I get:

"Disk Read Error
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart"

From here, I'm not sure what to do, as I've read every situation is different.

The report from Partition Inspector is as follows.

mj0exf.jpg

Result from sudo fdisk /dev/rdisk0 is:

14nic1v.jpg

Result from sudo gpt -r -v show /dev/rdisk0 is:

1fybgl.jpg

I no longer have access to the Windows 7 disk, which was for one time use anyway and didn't have any recovery software. That also means that for me, reinstalling Windows 7 is out of the question.

If there's no way to fix this, I'd like some details as to how to access a few files from Windows before nuking the partition; everything was backed up already except for some game screenshots, and I'd like to at least recover those.

Thanks.

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
A few months ago, I bought a Windows 7 Disk and installed it onto Boot Camp. Everything was working well, until I resized the Windows 7 partition to take up unallocated space from within Windows---something I NOW know is a bad idea. ...
I no longer have access to the Windows 7 disk, which was for one time use anyway and didn't have any recovery software. That also means that for me, reinstalling Windows 7 is out of the question.

If there's no way to fix this, I'd like some details as to how to access a few files from Windows before nuking the partition; everything was backed up already except for some game screenshots, and I'd like to at least recover those.

You bought a Windows 7 install disk, but you don't have access to it, being for a one time use? :D, (right! - got it! :D )
You bought the install disk, but you lost it?
You COULD boot to the Windows 7 disk and run a Windows repair (if the disk is yours, eh?)

You said that you want to retrieve some files from that Windows partition.
Can you browse to the files - assuming you know how the files are named? You could just find the files, and copy them to wherever you like...

raiu0009

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
You bought a Windows 7 install disk, but you don't have access to it, being for a one time use? :D, (right! - got it! :D )
You bought the install disk, but you lost it?
You COULD boot to the Windows 7 disk and run a Windows repair (if the disk is yours, eh?)

You said that you want to retrieve some files from that Windows partition.
Can you browse to the files - assuming you know how the files are named? You could just find the files, and copy them to wherever you like...

I am currently unable to access the files, seeing as how I cannot boot into Windows ("Drive Read Error"), nor can I see the partition in Finder. This is why I was asking if there's a way to access the files.

And while I appreciate the presumption:

hvrwgl.jpg

That's the picture I took after the disk arrived in the mail, it was my birthday present. :)

When I said I no longer had access to it, it was because I couldn't find the disk and didn't remember if I had thrown it away, since I do reckless stuff like that. In any case, I just found the disk in one of my binders, so I now have access again. Perhaps this may indicate a change in fortune?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.