Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Whenever I go to a website that has quite a few flash objects, like banner ads (say, 2 or 3 per page), the CPU on my PowerBook spikes up to 90 - 100% and as a result the temperature inside rockets. Also, scrolling becomes very "lumpy" and text being typed appears slowly.

This occurs in both Firefox and safari - I'm using OSX 10.4.8 on a 1.5GHz 15" PowerBook.

What can I do to reduce/stop this, aside from turning Flash off or not visiting those websites?

Cheers :)

P.S. How many thought I was putting my PB into a deep fat fryer? ;)

vsp

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2004
Chico, Ca
I know this isn't much help, but I turned Flash off in Firefox. You can always click on the one Flash item in a page if you need it.

From my experience, it was the flash ads that really killed me. I also tried out Opera, and that seemed to handle Flash a bit better.

thomasp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 18, 2004
UK
Me, me, me, me, pick me! oh wait... nevermind

Can you point us to a specific web page that does this to your machine?

Youtube is the best example, but that's kind of understandable considering the size (dimensions) of the flash file. However, that still doesn't affect the performance as badly as some banner ads - Sky ads for example (I'm in the UK)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.