Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPizzzle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Wow, so just uninstalled flash and installed the safari flashtohtml5 extension, and noticed a huge jump in battery life. This was documented before online, but man. Only issue I have is that you don't know if the youtube videos are playing in hd and the fullscreen has small bars on the sides.
after a full charge with the new version of flash that just came out the battery meter read about 3.5-4 hrs remaining after flash was uninstalled it read 6.3 (but quickly dropped into the 5's). What kind of numbers have people been getting with flash installed?

I have the 11" ultimate

update: noticing stuttering on some youtube hd videos-hmmm

Last edited:

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
The battery estimation is only an estimation based on what your computer is doing at the time. It takes into account all the processes running, certainly when flash is running the "time remaining" as well as the actual battery life will be lower.

I would assume however that the battery charge would last longer with no flash running, but the battery estimation is vastly inaccurate to "compare" as people run different programs etc.

Sheet

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2006
Kiel, Germany
From the FlashToHTML5 description:

Some videos on YouTube are not available in a format that can be played by the HTML5 player, so if that's the case, FlashToHTML5 will automatically switch back to the standard YouTube Flash Player.

Are most of the videos you tried playable as HTML5? When I tried that extension the last time, most of the videos still have been flash videos.

kkel19

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
yeah the mba11 is a great notebook so far....except sometimes it just lags and gets sluggish when watching youtube..apple must really hate flash.

Wang Foolio

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2010
Youtube is somewhat erratic on my iMac as well, occasionally being laggy or not working right. I haven't had a single kernel panic since I bought this computer in 2009, but I have had a couple sad face plugin errors in Chrome due to Flash/Youtube.

And I can definitely confirm that only a fraction of content on Youtube is actually available in HTML5. Not sure how much, but not enough :p

While I don't necessarily agree with SJ not allowing Flash onto the iOS, I can absolutely see where he's coming from. Flash really sucks especially on Macs.

kinesin

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
Using activity monitor with both the new flash 10.2 and html5 videos on youtube I'm seeing a much higher CPU load with html5 (80%+) than flash(25%). This is in Firefox 4 beta 11 as I've never got on with safari.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.