Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
London
I think something like this could sell well. It all depends on the price point. If it was sold at about £60 it would be great for the gym or for jogging etc.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
Six months from now when there is a waiting line at a store a mile long for these things I can't wait to come back and read all the 'it's random? no one will like that' and 'there's no screen? that sucks' comments just like the iPod Mini being the worst thing ever built.

The sad part is I find myself wanting one yet I have an iPod 40GB that I use every day.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Digipimp said:
yeah well their intended market for such a device is not ipod owners looking for a second mp3 player. it's people looking to get their hands on a cool mp3 player for the first or second time i would imagine. I say screw all this just start selling the mini for $199.

I've heard that current iPod minis are already 5GB (but locked to 4GB by Apple). Maybe they'll officially up the minis to 5GB and lower the price at the same time? (unlikely because of the introduction of the iPod micro at about 149-179$US).

On the other hand, a 5GB iPod mini at 200$US equals 245$CAD... This would kill the other high-end flash players (which are around 180-200$CAN for 256MB).

aggemam

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
Denmark
Rootman said:
The Italian site that posted the banner picture said this:
"We cannot show the images of the new iPod because we were forced to delete them from our cameras, but we can describe it."

Who did this? The Apple police?

Also, if they were simply deleted off a digital camera's flash card, it's quite easy to restore them with utilities designed for this (unless new images have overwritten the area where the deleted images were located).

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
vollspacken said:
I don't have a single playlist on my 3G 20GB iPod and it's always set to random... so I will most definitly buy one...

Hello, completely-opposite-of-me iPod user!

I only use playlists/albums with my 3G 10GB iPod and it's never set to random! :D

As you can see, this iPod micro is definitely not for me! (not that I care, but I don't think my brother would buy one either).

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
mcsandy said:
For my 2 cents... I think Life is Random, has nothing to do with the Shuffle function, but more to the solid state of the flash-based ipod.

In a random world of gym workouts, jogging, biking etc etc there are bumps, falls, scraps and plenty of movement... A Life is Random world would cause a hard disk to skip... but flash memory keeps on goin'

That's a good explanation, however without a screen ~240 songs would be near impossible to navigate. That's why we all think this random thing is shuffle.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Yvan256 said:
...Price lowering stuff...

I would be fairly surprised to see any signifigant price drops in anything from the iPod line. iPods are hip, trendy, and the cool thing to have. Apple knows this, and they have no problem selling the every loving crap out of iPods. Hell, when I bought my iPod last year I had to go to 3 seperate Best Buys to find one with a 40GB in stock, as everyone working the small electronics department said they sell as fast as they receive them.

A price drop would help, but I really don't think people need any more incentive to buy an iPod than they already have.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I don't need one (at least I don't think I do yet :D ), but I just want to chime in that I don't think not having a screen is that bad. I use my 20GB on random 99% of the time, and I just skip the songs I don't want to hear at the time. My problem with this device is 250 songs just doesn't do it for me.

But I can understand the market they are after here, and it is not most people here...we already have iPods! This is a product that screams teenager!!!

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
Did anyone else notice the arrows in the banner? Guess what else uses arrows? The repeat and shuffle buttons in iTunes. It's hard to tell how the banner's arrows could relate, since they don't appear as the same icons as the buttons in iTunes, but it is interesting nonetheless.

It could mean that the banner has more to do with a new version of iTunes and a new iPod

CharlesV

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
Tried to post this once already, but server was too busy:

What if the 'random' feature doesn't refer to our libraries at all? A radio station is designed to sell records, albums, singles, not to let a listener hear their personal collection all the time. What if the new player had a built-in value-added fee that allowed a user to sync a playlist of randomly selected songs from the iTMS, either from a preset playlist Apple has selected, an algorithm similar to MusicPod that links similar artists to find ones you might like, or a combination of the two? This, coupled with the 'arrow-me-to-iTMS' button introduced in 4.6 (?) could actually help apple sell more tracks.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
Rootman said:
Shuffling audiobook chapters is cool.

This is, without a doubt, the funniest pre-MWSF post so far.

I'm still laughing as I type this. And it's a great insight. I listen to motivations speeches and books all the time when I work out.

But more importantly, the lower price point was also supposed to allow people who can't afford the full iPod to get into the iPod family and start buying music from iTMS and further spread the lock-in of Apple's DRM.

I suspect Apple has done their home work and a shuffle only flash player will be popular for active people for active things. But this narrow purpose will not cast as wide as net as possible, and for those waiting for the affordable iPod, no screen will be a deal breaker.

But with that said, this thing will sell in crazy numbers. It's the price point. Apple has built the brand and desire for all things iPod. And at that price, people who don't really like it will convince themselves to spend 149 bucks for a gym iPod.

Hell, I know I will.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
nosen said:
So this thing could have 1GB of space, but no screen to navigate it? That kind of sucks.

I agree. You need some way to control what it plays other than a skip button and a play/pause button. I guess iTunes would control it but that isn't hardly practical on the go. With about 300 songs on it let's say you want to get from song 1 to song 300. Do you have to push a button 300 times. No way. However, if by not having a screen they are able to make it really small, really light, and really cheap that could be a huge seller.

Catt

macrumors member
May 21, 2003
London, UK
If it is a truly random player then it would have to be very very cheapr indeed.

Its ok for people who already own an iPod of some description (or another HDD Music Player). Sometimes I like the idea of only have random music. However for people who do not own an iPod why would they buy this machine if this is their first Mp3/Music player? I want a flash machine with a screen because even if only sometimes I want to see what I am listening to its still better to have a screen than not (even a crap one). Why buy a machine that limits you? I might buy one if it was very very cheap beacause I have an iPod to fall back on all those times I want more control over what I listen to - but most people don't have this.

It would have to be cheap, have a very long battery life (30 Hrs +), look great, and have all of these random ideas as optional (which they will be I hope, and if they are where's the USP? and if they aren't who wants that lack of control?). If it had a built in radio that would be tempting.

Alternatively - make it a DAB radio and be done with it! :D In fact that would be a good idea if only Apple could improve the power consumption of DAB chips and make them smaller! - which they won't as DAB isn't really used (at all?) in the US.

I would definately buy a personal digital radio by Apple

CharlesV

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
Peyote said:
Did anyone else notice the arrows in the banner? Guess what else uses arrows? The repeat and shuffle buttons in iTunes. It's hard to tell how the banner's arrows could relate, since they don't appear as the same icons as the buttons in iTunes, but it is interesting nonetheless.

It looks like the same arrows as the shuffle button to me, just squashed a bit cause of the banner's folds. :)

barnett25

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2004
Darn, I was going to get a flash iPod for my little sister, but if they cripple it with no screen I guess she'll be stuck with a CD player. Maybe they'll suprise me, but right now I can't think of any way that a screenless iPod would work with any kind of elegance.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
CharlesV said:
It looks like the same arrows as the shuffle button to me, just squashed a bit cause of the banner's folds. :)

Yeah I can see that now...it's hard to see how it could be anything else...however I think it's jumping to conclusions based on the banner alone, that it relates to an iPod.....a new version of iTunes is expected, isn't it?

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
kettle said:
How different would this be to a CD multi changer in a car, the user could pre program 10 preset playlists and switch between them. Within each playlist the user could then forward and back track, maybe even a button that cycles repeat options.

If the price was right, I think this would be a very useful machine, imagine the battery life if it didn't have a screen.

Just trying to use some intelligence.

Just because you use a car CD changer as an example doesn't mean the technology doesn't suck any less. Car CD changers are almost 20 years old and they're frustrating. There's just no reason not to have some sort of tiny screen.

I have to go with my gut on this one, this story was fabricated to throw us off.

tom27

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2005
ihome photos & videos

greetings

kinda strange that the ihome photos are from san francisco and that the boxes supporting the 'ihome' product have jigsaw systems (a mac supplier in the uk) tape on them....

tom

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
barnett25 said:
Maybe they'll suprise me, but right now I can't think of any way that a screenless iPod would work with any kind of elegance.

My guess is, that there will be a button which you press and it would... play music. What does elegance have to do with anything?

You people amaze me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.