Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Handy Light, a new flashlight app by developer Nick Lee, brings unofficial SOCKS Proxy tethering to the iPhone hidden behind what appears to be a simple flashlight app that uses the screen for illumination. The app's description provides no hints of this hidden feature though Lee has posted a YouTube video demonstrating how it works. We've also given the app a spin and verified this tethering works as described.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwwWlvCJuMk&feature=player_embedded

Nullriver was the first to offer an unofficial tethering app, NetShare, for the iPhone in late 2008 though it was quickly pulled from the App Store and never became available again. Based on that reaction from Apple, it's likely that Handy Light will not remain in the App Store long either. Apple also has previously informed developers that such "easter eggs" must be declared in apps when submitted, so we don't expect Apple will take kindly for this hidden feature.

HandyLight sells for $.99 [iTunes Link] and written instructions on how to use it have been posted at AppShopper.

Article Link: Flashlight App Sneaks Tethering Into App Store (For Now)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
This is exactly why Apple declines (what appears to be) a lot of apps from developers. People can't be trusted that they are creating legit apps that DO ONLY WHAT THEY SAY THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO DO, in terms of how the developer introduces it. :p

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

CashDude

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I got it before Apple pulled it whoohoo! They might finally bring out the kill-switch for this one though.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Whilst its quite funny that he's done this its also worrying.

I know from experience that some of the reviewers do not check apps at all. I know because I accidentally submitted a very, very buggy build of one of my apps with a copyright logo in the icon and loading screen.

It hit the store and was in there a day before I noticed and pulled it.

Its quite worrying that someone could put anything into an App. Even something as simple as stealing contact numbers, or taking photos - its very possible and Apple obviously wouldn't know!

Chances are there are some apps out there doing it already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.