Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

normalrobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2015
i'm a new owner of 15 inch mbp and so far so good, the only issue i notice with it is when i pick it up with one hand and pressure is applied to the bottom there is a small but noticeable flex of the chassis on the bottom, which produces a faint pop sound. Is this normal among the 15 inch mbp's?

normalrobot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2015
using one hand to pick up a laptop is common, and i did it all the time on my 13" mpb without issue, i would just like to know if other rMpbs are like this. i know it's nitpicky but given how much $ i spent on it i wanna make sure this is the usual situation

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Sure, I do it all the time but the 15" is bigger so more susceptible to movement of the panel, it isn't structural or braced...but the only way to avoid it is to not use one hand. The leverage means quite a point load on your fingers and hence the panel.

Studflower

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2014
The laptop is longer so there will be much more pressure put on the chassis when you pick it up with one hand.
There will be a bit of flex as the aluminum isn't super thick. It's a different scenario from the compact 13".

However, there have been reports of the bottom panels of the 15" requiring reseating because the factory didn't assemble correctly. Just bring it in to Apple and have them reseat the panel or exchange it.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
same thin lower plate, but the entire computer is heavier and since it's a lot longer you're putting a lot more torque on that bottom plate. Everyone's make some sound when grabbing it with one hand at a corner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.