Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
pixelsmoke said:
The player crashes when I close the movie out. I've also noticed that it crashes other programs that are tied to quicktime upon running the program.

I'm curious to see if I uninstall the wmv component if everything will go back to normal, or it actually screwed up my machine.

Did you update to Flip4Mac 2.0.1? That should have stopped the problem...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I've used 2.0.1 a little bit today and it seems to be working fine. I haven't subjected it to heavy usage in varied situations though.

And the comments on VersionTracker are just idiotic...it's a virus?!?!? Give me a break...

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
WildCowboy said:
I've used 2.0.1 a little bit today and it seems to be working fine. I haven't subjected it to heavy usage in varied situations though.

And the comments on VersionTracker are just idiotic...it's a virus?!?!? Give me a break...

...strange though, the odd comments are gone, and so is 2.1 - now back to 2.0.1

unless I was just hallucinating...

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
So what is the final decission here. I downloaded Flip4 but have not installed it due to the negative feedback and crash reports. Is there any clue what is going on? I'm using QT 7.0.4 and have no idea what version of Flip4 is in the package.

Just an FYI CNET ran this article on the discontinuing of WMP and this article on the QT issues.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
On 10.4.4 and QT 7.0.4 and F4M 2.0.1 is the ultimate combo. My collection of WMVs never played better and also streaming WMVs are so much better. This is awesome. I hated WMP. So crappy on Mac. I really love this.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
MUCKYFINGERS said:
anyone else feel like it's playing back wmv files choppy? i have a rev d ibook g4...

My WMV's on my HD and streaming from several websites are all very fluid. Better then WMP.

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
Anybody else have trouble downloading F4M?
I'm on a dial-up connection and have tried 4 times. First 3 times it downloaded 2.0 mb and stopped; last time got to 3.7mb of 3.9mb and stopped.

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
Yeah, it crashes on mine too, I've sent a report to apple. Sorry if this sounds silly, but how do you revert to the previous version of QT?

Edit: Installed 2.0.1, works ok with live streams. Amazingly, I can't find a wmv file on my computer!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
ppnkg said:
Sorry if this sounds silly, but how do you revert to the previous version of QT?

Sounds like you got your problem worked out, but I know some users have reported other problems with QT 7.0.4 beyond those experienced with Flip4Mac. So if you want to revert to QT 7.0.1, go to this page. Note that iLife '06 requires 7.0.4, but if you don't have the new iLife yet, there's no burning need to be on 7.0.4.

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Lacero said:
There seems to be a bug with Flip4Mac 2.0.1 showing the incorrect bitrate and file size in Get Info. Everything seems doubled as shown in QT. It might still be an incompatibility with QT.
Here's to the Crazy Ones

I suspect what you're seeing is the "Data Rate:" field of the Movie
Info
window in QuickTime player indicates a bit rate that is much higher
(x2)
than anticipated. Unfortunately QT player will always be wrong in it's
calculation of the bit rate, you must use Windows Media Player or
(better yet) the ASF View utility if you want to see the exact
average/maximum bit rates.

However, in WMV files the video frames are not contiguous; typically
each video frame is broken down and spread across multiple packets. The
QT movie we construct actually points at "chunks" of the WMV file that
contain all the pieces of a frame, the chunk is generally much larger
than actual video frame which throws off the player's calculation. The
conversion of chunks to frames is performed by the image decompressor
during playback.

Best regards,
Joyce Garrett
Flip4Mac Support

Boelman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
I've never heard of this program. Is this similar to VLC player or anything like that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.