Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msduncan

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
This app looks and behaves really nicely. My problem with it, is despite everyone on Twitter saying (for now) you need to open and close the app to refresh, it doesn't seem to be grabbing content. Facebook particularly - the FB website shows plenty of updates, but Flipboard shows about 2 or 3, then rest being from yesterday. I'm not sure if this is a server issue as Twitter seems fine.
Anyone else seeing this behaviour?

My twitter seems to update when I close and reopen the app. Facebook I'm not sure.

Either way, they need an in-app refresh button.

ert3

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2007
this app would be great if it ever worked.

or at least thats what I am assuming

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Anyone got an email to "activate" a twitter/Facebook account? I got 1.0.1 and it won't allow me to add a Twitter account until I "activate" with my email. Sucks. It does look mighty nice.

herbiehancock00

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2007
This app is such beta. I can't believe they released this as 1.0. It doesn't even PULL content. You have to restart the app in order to refresh. That is if the content is even updated. It is still showing me news feed contents from yesterday. I like the idea of the app and the UI but the execution is such a massive fail it's not even funny.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
I guess they didn't anticipate this many people using it. I still can't signing with my FB or Twitter. Gotta wait

Still can't sign in either. Given the app is free, I'd say they can't add any more servers etc as they have not earned any revenue to pay for them. Shame really.

Czicks

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Flipboard seems like it might be cool but right now it's just half baked. I installed it and went to log into Facebook.

"we are...limiting the rate at which we are accepting new connections."

I then tried to log into Twitter

"we are...limiting the rate at which we are accepting new connections."

*Yawn* Call me when there is more than vaporware.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
*Yawn* Call me when there is more than vaporware.

Did it ever occur to you that the fact that their servers are overloaded implies that this is NOT "vaporware"? Or do you think that since you happen to have issues due to the overwhelming popularity of the service, it mist mean that the entire service is "vaporware"?

I love how some people think that the world revolves around them. Wait, no I don't. In fact, I hate it.

Czicks

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
If it was just me, you'd have a point. This issue is affecting everyone.

So let's see. This application is launched and its main functions fail to operate. Now days later and there is no estimate on when it will be fixed. For the majority of people who've downloaded the application it simply is dead from day one.

Go cry to someone else if you don't like people commenting on a terrible launch of a product that provides nothing.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Q - while acknowledging the site's non-involvement with this product, there does seem to have been a step up in the number of iPhone/iPad app stories in the last week. Does this mark a change of focus/direction?
Not to take the thread off-topic, but we should answer your question.

Covering new or notable apps is not an indication of a change in the direction of MacRumors' focus inasmuch as it reflects the expansion of Apple's own focus, and the news surrounding the company's products that we think might be relevant to their customers and followers.

In the same way that we cover major application-related news for Macs (e.g., Steam, Microsoft Office) we may do so for the iPhone and iPad. As noted, we have no financial stake when we do this and would note it if so. If we do state an opinion about an app or give it a review, not just a factual report, it is always in the interest of providing helpful information to our readers.

The evidence that this app was newsworthy is the variety of opinions posted in this thread. But as always, some people will be interested in any given news story and some people won't.

RoarinRow

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I got my email invite from Flipboard today. I logged on to my Twitter and Facebook accounts with any problems. Having an app like makes mw want to post stuff. Love the magazine layout and integration. Glad I waited and didn't delete the app the first day because of the over capacity issues everyone reported early on.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
This app could be useful in theory, but in practice it skips way too much content.

If it showed the full feeds that would be different but as it is I've lost interest already.

Definitely nowhere near worthy of the hype.

TangoDown

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
UK
Such a great app, but you have to wonder what the plan is.. I follow a little over a hundred prolific tweeters, but ALL my Flipboard content is split between Digital Spy and BBC Breaking News. How are they deciding what gets shown and what doesn't? None of this app is making any sense to me.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Been days since I signed up to be notified when I could log in, and haven't heard anything. App being deleted in 5... 4... 3...

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
Zen,

All I did was continuously try to connect to facebook and twitter, eventually they did work.

It's a nice app, just disappointing how they totally underestimated its popularity...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.