Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Must have caught it on the plane ride back from London... grrr... I hate being cramped up in a plane for 8 hours, stuck breathing the same air...

Anyway, I'm home from work today... drinking lots of water and having some chicken soup- what else do you usually do when you come down with the flu?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Although a real dose of the flu is not a cold, these things tend to work for me.

• Rest and sleep
• Freshly-squeezed orange juice, lots of it.
• Soup but not rich creamy kinds
• Throat lozenges and decongestants
• Caffeine to give a pick-me-up when you need to do something
• Combo of ibuprofen and paracetamol to ease aches and pains (watch max. doses in 24hr period)
• Ice-cream (just for the hell of it although it's mucus-forming)

When you have the flu, then you're past caring except wanting someone to nurse you in your misery...

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Blue Velvet said:
When you have the flu, then you're past caring except wanting someone to nurse you in your misery...

indeed... that's about the stage i'm at... the flu turns everyone in to big babies...:eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
gwuMACaddict said:
indeed... that's about the stage i'm at... the flu turns everyone in to big babies...:eek:

I've had flu twice in my life. The most recent one was a few years ago and was a strain that killed a number of (vulnerable) people at the time in the UK...

I couldn't walk, couldn't hold anything down except small sips of iced water, was almost delirious for 2-3 days... was still unsteady on my feet for weeks afterwards. I was living in supported accommodation at the time and had to be helped to the loo and sponge-bathed in my bed for a couple of days...

The (oft-quoted) difference, apart from the medical definition, between a cold and a flu is that with a cold, you could get up and pick up a £20 note you see on the footpath outside. With the flu, you couldn't care less...

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
iSaint said:
If you have the real flu, and not a cold, I would go to the doctor. They have new meds that knock it out in a day or so. Flumadine is one.

I try to avoid the doctor's office as much as possible... I feel like I'll just catch something worse... :rolleyes:

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I hear that sending money to the following address helps:

Emerson McA...

;)

In seriousness though, my recommendation is drink LOTS of water or tea! Always have a pot of tea next to you or a glass of water in your hand.

e

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
If it is Influenza then stay home, stay hydrated and stay rested.

Pain killers for that horrible joint pain, get some of those tissues with moisturiser and aloe vera in them and just keep blowing your nose - don't sniff.

And the greatest thing in the world, eucalyptus oil. A few drops on a hankie, keep it near your nose and you'll be able to breathe easily when you sleep.

Few drops of eucalyptus oil in a big bowl of steaming water, drop a towel over your head and the bowl and breathe in the steam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.