Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
I boil it in hot water twice a month works like a charm. ;)

On a serious note I've only cleaned my iPhone with rubbing alcohol and the cloth that came with my 3G.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I haven't been sick since I purchased the first iPhone in 2007. I see interact with people frequently. I just wipe it on my pants.

Prescription: Wipe on pant leg twice per day.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
People, this is not difficult. To minimize your exposure:

1) Don't share your phone (unless you would kiss that person)
2) Wash hands before handling your phone/bringing it up to your face
3) Don't put your phone down on a potentially contaminated surface

This way you won't even have to take extraordinary cleaning measures for your phone.

And the tin foil pyramidal hat or haz-mat bio-suit won't hurt.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Agreed:

TheCaringContinuum.png

+100,000

If you couldn't care less, please say so. Those 3 characters n't at the end are an infinite resource so there's no need to save them for another day!!!!

(However, I suspect people who write "I could care less...." probably can't read continuum diagrams :( )

Love it! I actually used to write it that way, until I was corrected by an old girlfriend.

Now, can we end the discussion on "couldn't care less?"

But so many people keep doing it. Don't you feel it's our duty to help them improve their forum skills :rolleyes:

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Disinfecting your phone isn't going to suddenly weaken your immune system. Why all the posts attempting to dissuade the OP from doing so?

Anyway, I have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol that I use to clean my iPhone if I feel it gets too grimy.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
To build off of what lollicup said, before man became domesticated we were wild...

Case and point, I work in the medical field and am constantly in contact with ill people, blood, extreme temperatures, so on and so forth.

I agree with xbuddycorex and don't want to open a can of worms, but as long as we could or couldn't care less, I wanted to get in on the act.

The idiom is "case in point", not "case and point."

Sorry man, I like the way you think about germs, and your explanation was clear as a bell. It's neither here nor there and I don't want to open Pandora's box of mistakes in grammar and idioms, but I couldn't let this opportunity go by the board.

Just having a idiomatic moment.

Laughter is the best medicine.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Disinfecting your phone isn't going to suddenly weaken your immune system. Why all the posts attempting to dissuade the OP from doing so?

Anyway, I have a bottle of isopropyl alcohol that I use to clean my iPhone if I feel it gets too grimy.

Well, yes and no. Disinfecting your phone by itself might not weaken your immune system but disinfecting everything will make it harder for your system to learn how to fight the bad germs.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Well, yes and no. Disinfecting your phone by itself might not weaken your immune system but disinfecting everything will make it harder for your system to learn how to fight the bad germs.
That wasn't the question. Sure, if he sterilizes his walls, furniture, and everything else he uses for the rest of his life he will be "vulnerable" when a sterile environment is not available. A phone is an item that is put in your pocket, held in your hands (and anyone you might share it with), and then pressed towards your face where it is exposed near the mouth, nose, and ear.

ozzyman500

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
That wasn't the question. Sure, if he sterilizes his walls, furniture, and everything else he uses for the rest of his life he will be "vulnerable" when a sterile environment is not available. A phone is an item that is put in your pocket, held in your hands (and anyone you might share it with), and then pressed towards your face where it is exposed near the mouth, nose, and ear.

lol, thank you again.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
I agree with xbuddycorex and don't want to open a can of worms, but as long as we could or couldn't care less, I wanted to get in on the act.

The idiom is "case in point", not "case and point."

Sorry man, I like the way you think about germs, and your explanation was clear as a bell. It's neither here nor there and I don't want to open Pandora's box of mistakes in grammar and idioms, but I couldn't let this opportunity go by the board.

Just having a idiomatic moment.

Laughter is the best medicine.

What ... No chart? Haha. I fixed it, thanks.

Mr. Giver '94

macrumors 68000
Jun 2, 2008
London
I clean mine with hand sanitizer on a Kleenex around once a week. It makes the screen and back nice and shiny.

It's not something to be paranoid about, but it is good to clean something like a cell phone occasionally especially if many people are touching it on a frequent basis.

lollicup

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2009

that's not the problem though

someone who disinfects his iPhone probably disinfects other things thus weakening his immune system

sure if you just disinfected your iPhone and nothing else that would probably be fine

but its all about recognizing bad habits and patterns and trying to fix them before they become full blown psychological problems

Ok how about a fair compromise

Use a microfiber to wipe it down

this should remove dirt and dust but not be overkill

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Evolution from the primordial ooze until today has given you a pretty good immune system. Humans have, and continue to survive plague and pestilence in some pretty unhygienic conditions. Clean is one thing, "sterile" is ridiculous.

phpeters87

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Some sick f***s at work don't wash their hands even after taking a dump.

They then come in the office and touch a bunch of stuff and even go in the office kitchen and touch the fridge, etc...

I finally sent an email to HR and they sent an email to all employees reminding them to wash their hands after using the facilities, especially during cold/flu season.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Some sick f***s at work don't wash their hands even after taking a dump.

They then come in the office and touch a bunch of stuff and even go in the office kitchen and touch the fridge, etc...

I finally sent an email to HR and they sent an email to all employees reminding them to wash their hands after using the facilities, especially during cold/flu season.
Can you please post a transcript of this email :)

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I have never disinfected my iPhone. I don't like the thought of liquid getting that close to it. I do wipe it off with a microfiber cloth or t-shirt to keep the display clean, though.

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
...someone who disinfects his iPhone probably disinfects other things thus weakening his immune system

sure if you just disinfected your iPhone and nothing else that would probably be fine
I use alcohol to clean my phone at least twice a week. Not to get rid of germs, but to cleanse the oily residue that builds up by handing the phone. I also do this with my mouse and keyboard. You're exposed to so many microorganisms that disinfecting a few objects, even on a daily basis, only makes up a miniscule amount of exposures. It does not 'weaken' your immune system because the T-cells have already been made to respond with antigen-specific proteins-even upon re-exposure to a specific ailment. Disinfecting any surface, even for long periods of time is not going to suddenly make them relinquish their 'memory.' I must assume then that 'weaken' was not the word you or anyone else was looking for. Rather, the pathogens will not contribute to their 'memory.' Even so, you must consider the number that enter your system; this number is far less than you might expect.

The rest of my family, including myself, use alcohol-based hand sanitizers throughout the day. After all, it is to be expected at a hospital. I spoke with my father on the phone earlier (this topic is what made me curious) and asked him how many times he uses the hand gel daily. To which he responded, "If I had to guess, I would say about twenty times." Hospitals already have a bad reputation for making healthy people sick, but judging by this thread, we should just drop all forms of our sanitation products.

I don't want to appear a belligerent brute, but disinfecting your iPhone and/or several other items is not going to do anything to your immune system. There is no problem here, nor is there a need to dissuade the OP, or anyone else, from disinfecting their phones.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
I haven't been sick since I purchased the first iPhone in 2007. I see interact with people frequently. I just wipe it on my pants.

Prescription: Wipe on pant leg twice per day.

:eek: That's not going to help with the hygiene :D

(possibly you have to come from the UK to find this funny)

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
IMO cleaning your phone should be standard thinking. I could care less if it's just an iPod but your phone is so close to your face at times some of those germs might rub off on you :(.

I dont clean my phone, except to wipe smudges off the screen.

But whatever makes you feel better... I say go for it, clean that phone as much as you want :)

On a more serious note, its "I couldnt care less"

Can we all agree on this because for some reason my blood boils when I read "could care less"..... it doesnt make any sense and doesnt work on any level.

Cheers ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.