Folders on Dock?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by NewSc2, Feb 12, 2007.

1. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Jun 4, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I've tried searching for a while but haven't found the answer to this.

How do I put folders (Applications, Documents) on the Dock? Once they're on, can I see a drop-down menu?
  2. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    Put them in the right hand side of the dock, next to the Trash.
  3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Just drag the folder to the right side of the Dock. (Just don't drop it in the Trash.) To see the contents, just right click the folder or left click and hold until the contents pop up.

Edit: And make sure you're not dragging the folders in the Sidebar within Finder...dragging those will just remove them from the Sidebar. You have to actually navigate to the folder in the main Finder window and then drag that.
  4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2006
    Leeds, UK
    Just drag it to the dock.

Option-Click or Right-Click it to see a menu with the contents.
  5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

Jan 28, 2005
    American Riviera
    Just to clarify, you need to control-click, not option-click, to see inside.
  6. NewSc2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Jun 4, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thank you!! Now I don't have to keep opening up Finder to get to my lesser used programs. My dock's on the left so it has to stay pretty small
  7. TrixieKQ macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2007
    I'm real new...

Would you please elaborate about the Sidebar? I get a little confused with what's what. At least I know what the Dock is.
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    When you open a Finder window -- any window showing say the contents of a folder on the computer, on the left hand side, there is a vertical bar with links to the Applications folder, your Home Folder, Music, Movies, etc. That's the Sidebar. See the left side of the pic below, where the highlighted "Student" folder is (yes, I know, I hotlinked, IM TO STUPID FOR TeH INTERNET!!!! :eek: ).

Also note that in addition to ctrl-clicking or right-clicking the folder icon on the dock to expand it, you can just click the left mouse button and hold it. ;)
  9. ivnj macrumors 65816

Dec 8, 2006
    I understand this. But why can't folders go on the left side of the bar where applications are. Why only apps there. Cuz the right side is for stuff already opened. When you restart it goes away. Why can't folder go on the left.

10. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

May 19, 2005
    Escape from New England
    That is how the Dock works. Left, apps. Right, documents, links, minimized windows. Anything you drag to the dock stays there even after a restart.