Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
I've tried searching for a while but haven't found the answer to this.

How do I put folders (Applications, Documents) on the Dock? Once they're on, can I see a drop-down menu?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Just drag the folder to the right side of the Dock. (Just don't drop it in the Trash.) To see the contents, just right click the folder or left click and hold until the contents pop up.

Edit: And make sure you're not dragging the folders in the Sidebar within Finder...dragging those will just remove them from the Sidebar. You have to actually navigate to the folder in the main Finder window and then drag that.

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Thank you!! Now I don't have to keep opening up Finder to get to my lesser used programs. My dock's on the left so it has to stay pretty small

TrixieKQ

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2007
I'm real new...

Edit: And make sure you're not dragging the folders in the Sidebar within Finder...dragging those will just remove them from the Sidebar. You have to actually navigate to the folder in the main Finder window and then drag that.

Would you please elaborate about the Sidebar? I get a little confused with what's what. At least I know what the Dock is.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Would you please elaborate about the Sidebar? I get a little confused with what's what. At least I know what the Dock is.

When you open a Finder window -- any window showing say the contents of a folder on the computer, on the left hand side, there is a vertical bar with links to the Applications folder, your Home Folder, Music, Movies, etc. That's the Sidebar. See the left side of the pic below, where the highlighted "Student" folder is (yes, I know, I hotlinked, IM TO STUPID FOR TeH INTERNET!!!! :eek: ).

01-home.jpg

Also note that in addition to ctrl-clicking or right-clicking the folder icon on the dock to expand it, you can just click the left mouse button and hold it. ;)

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2006
I understand this. But why can't folders go on the left side of the bar where applications are. Why only apps there. Cuz the right side is for stuff already opened. When you restart it goes away. Why can't folder go on the left.

Thanks,
ivnj

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England
I understand this. But why can't folders go on the left side of the bar where applications are. Why only apps there. Cuz the right side is for stuff already opened. When you restart it goes away. Why can't folder go on the left.

Thanks,
ivnj

That is how the Dock works. Left, apps. Right, documents, links, minimized windows. Anything you drag to the dock stays there even after a restart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.