Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
For the first time, I created folders in iTunes, moved some playlists around, in an attempt to clean up the source bar within iTunes. And to clean up my Playlists on my iPod. Unfortunately, the folders aren't on the iPod after updating, and the playlists are in their normal alphabetical order. Everything on my iPod is up-to-date (Updater 3-23 I believe,) and I use iTunes 6.0.4. My iPod is a 3rd generation, which may be the problem...

My question is, do folders show up on 4th or 5th generation iPods? Does anybody even use folders within iTunes for organization, or just me?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
They don't show up on 4G iPods, and I'm pretty sure it's the same for all iPods. I know that was the case when iTunes' folders first appeared.

rspeaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
If they don't show on the iPods, I wonder what the point is... to date, everything I've done within iTunes has appeared exactly the same on my iPod. I'm much more concerned with cleaning up the appearance of my 2.5" iPod screen than my 17" iMac screen...

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Same here. I organised everything into playlists and folders on iTunes a couple of months ago when the list of titles became too long to find things easily. It makes what you want very easy to find. Unfortuntely, that organisation doesn't seem to carry over when downloading onto the nano; it is just as you say. It's a pity, it would be much easier to find something on the ipod if the folders created another level in there. I've done everything I can think of but have come to the conclusion that there isn't anything that can be done. If you find what I've missed, please post!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Folders do not carry over to the iPod. It sucks but it's just what happens. Apple should fix this in a future software update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.