Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
As i recall the GUI version only uses 1 CPU. Go into activity monitor and check to see if both are running full tilt. Also if you ever log out then it will not be running when you use the GUI version.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
trainguy77 said:
As i recall the GUI version only uses 1 CPU. Go into activity monitor and check to see if both are running full tilt. Also if you ever log out then it will not be running when you use the GUI version.

No, its only using ~100% of the one cpu. Should I just wait for my current w.u. to finish and then install the dual processor version of folding@home?

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 171

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
bousozoku said:
It was only right. It's a shame that he joined the team and brought such shame to us.
Here I disagree. This guy had access to a lot of computers and therefore wrote a little app to install folding on all of his hundreds of machines located all over the USA. That this app somehow became a virus is a different story. I, for one, am still proud of this guy, his intentions where/are good. When he noticed that something went wrong he contacted Stanford about it. I only hope that he still folds with us!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Dreadnought said:
Here I disagree. This guy had access to a lot of computers and therefore wrote a little app to install folding on all of his hundreds of machines located all over the USA. That this app somehow became a virus is a different story. I, for one, am still proud of this guy, his intentions where/are good. When he noticed that something went wrong he contacted Stanford about it. I only hope that he still folds with us!

That's amazing! You don't know right from wrong? When is using someone else's property without permission good?

If someone borrows your home without your permission for a few hours every day to care for the homeless, is it okay with you? It's unlikely.

He was from Canada, by the way, but obviously, he didn't care about folding@home as much as he cared about making a big splash. It reminded me of virus writers, so it's funny that you should say that it somehow became a virus. I think using the province's (Manitoba?) computers weren't enough for him so he started infecting everything else he could find too.

I can only hope he stays away from our team. We really don't need sleaze. We can do this the right way--good people, good machines, good intentions.

Happy holidays!

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
dmw007 said:
No, its only using ~100% of the one cpu. Should I just wait for my current w.u. to finish and then install the dual processor version of folding@home?

Check to see if there is two under the same name. Also why is it using 8_%? Should it not be using 50% or 100%?

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
trainguy77 said:
Check to see if there is two under the same name.

Nope, I only see one.

trainguy77 said:
Also why is it using 8_%? Should it not be using 50% or 100%?

Not sure- I think that it might have been because I had just finished a w.u.

Right now its using ~95-98% of the CPU.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
trainguy77 said:
Check to see if there is two under the same name. Also why is it using 8_%? Should it not be using 50% or 100%?

It'll use whatever is left for it. Being a low priority process, it doesn't always get everything. Besides all that, the numbers are estimates. You could actually get 101% processor usage.

Attachments

• folding@home.png
    folding@home.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 135

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
See i thought it worked like PEEECCCCCs as in when i says 50% it means it could be using 100% of 1 CPU. I have never played with a dual CPU mac. So you will need to install a dual CPU version of folding, or run 2 instances of the GUI if you can, which don't think you can. The one way I know will work is by using the script.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
trainguy77 said:
See i thought it worked like PEEECCCCCs as in when i says 50% it means it could be using 100% of 1 CPU. I have never played with a dual CPU mac. So you will need to install a dual CPU version of folding, or run 2 instances of the GUI if you can, which don't think you can. The one way I know will work is by using the script.

You can't run the GUI version correctly with more than one instance. The console version can be pointed to various work folders, due to the -local flag.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
trainguy77 said:
So the script would be the easiest way to go.

It's the only way to go, if you want to work on more than one work unit at a time and since mc68k has done some good work on the scripts, it's also easy to get things going.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
itd be nice if stanford made an multi-processor autodetecting, multi-threaded app. then we wouldn't have to explain all this scripting business :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.