Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
so how does the scoring work?

it seems like for most people we're getting .5 points for each unit.... but buffsldr seems to have gotten more somehow?

how's it work?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by buffsldr
see http://www.alistairbraidwood.com/html/folding.html for more help,
apparently it depends on what proteins you are working on. I have noticed that it benchmarks your comp and then it probably throws you the nastiest protein your system can due in 12 hours (or something like this)

so i guess with a bunch of stuff running, it might throw you an easier, and thus less scoring one eh? that'd make sense. i haven't had any folding devoted time... once i move home and can use my family imac i could devote mine to it...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i still don't get why some of us are having every unit be .5 while others are at 5 points..

i'm just too dumb to comprehend it all obviously. ha

buffsldr is tearing it up though.

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
I stopped using mac's for folding, since these do only .5 units. I have four PC's running at work and these do better work units. It is not fair!

Oh, well the main reason for stopping folding on my macs is because the imac is on modem and the powerbook needs to much power and starts using the fan all the time :-(

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by backspinner
I stopped using mac's for folding, since these do only .5 units. I have four PC's running at work and these do better work units. It is not fair!

Oh, well the main reason for stopping folding on my macs is because the imac is on modem and the powerbook needs to much power and starts using the fan all the time :-(

that sucks that macs can only get .5 points....

well i'd use my pc for it, but i don't have one. i don't mind too much though... haha

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i just checked the stats and my score is no longer strictly .5 points per unit... and i've been doing them all on my mac... so i'm not sure what's up. good to see though.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
ya.. it has to do with the protein.. it can take my pc anywhere from 10-30 minutes for one frame, which is probably dependent on which unit im working on...

this pc isnt doing anything else, so it doesnt have to do with cpu usage..

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Folding??? Why so slow??

I am running a Dual 1Ghz machine + it takes SO long to complete a unit (been trying to finish one for about 3 days!!!!) !! I am also running SETI. Here is my setup:

1 SETI Client - appox 66% cpu usage
2 Folding clients taking the rest of the CPU usage 133% appox.

The progress bars increase so slowly. I am seriously considering going back to SETI 100% of the time!!! Why so slow??

Draft

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2002
Chicago, IL
First off, I believe that the number of points is based on the size of the computation that needs to be done on the unit. Also, Falleron, because you have such a capable machine and it's taking a while for you to process the unit, you probably have a bigger unit that might give you more points. Hope this helps.

Later,
Draft

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
Folding??? Why so slow??

I am running a Dual 1Ghz machine + it takes SO long to complete a unit (been trying to finish one for about 3 days!!!!) !! I am also running SETI. Here is my setup:

1 SETI Client - appox 66% cpu usage
2 Folding clients taking the rest of the CPU usage 133% appox.

The progress bars increase so slowly. I am seriously considering going back to SETI 100% of the time!!! Why so slow??
It's the core version that they use to drive folding. Slowness is platform independent right now. The Mac version is a recompile of the Linux version.

Supposedly, they're working on a core that uses gromacs, which is optimized for SSE and Altivec. Stanford didn't write this, and parts of this core are hand coded in assembly. So whenever this comes out, the wait will be a lot shorter. Until then (and that's a big until, since Mac is the last on Stanford's list) all we can do is wait, and wait we will because WU's take forever. All my mac at home gets are proteinA's which take all weekend 24/7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.