1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Font Equivalents in OSX ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by drsox, Nov 15, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

drsox

I'm just moving from Win7 to OSX and converting my spreadsheets etc to run in OSX.
    Normally I use Universe font (sometimes Arial). The Universe True Type font I use doesn't look too great so I'm asking what is the normal OSX font for Spreadsheets ? It would be a Sans Serif.

2. macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Well everyone has their preferences.

Are you using Excel 2011 in mac os x? Lucida works well as does Arial and Times New Roman.

3. macrumors 65816

drsox

I was going to use OpenOffice. In Win7 Arial and Univers also are not good, but I haven't yet tried Lucida.

Thanks

4. macrumors 65816

drsox

UPDATE :

It's not a font issue, it's an OpenOffice issue. The fonts I was using don't render well in OO, so I'll use MSOffice after all. The font quality of OO is pretty obvious when doing a direct A-B comparison with MSOffice.

5. macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Interesting thanks for the update.

I have used at times ( briefly ) open office versions going way back on solaris and also on linux. For me anyhow ( like most others ) microsoft office still seems to win. I do have Pages and the Presentation app ( Keynote ? ) native on my macbook air but old habits are hard to break and for compatibility purposes well a no brainer.

There seem to be a few fonts not found in my mac office 2011 apps versus what is available on windows but nothing I have ever missed.