Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tnsmart

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
I am trying to use fopen() in my C program to create and then open a file on my Mac, but it will not create the file. I've tried using both absolute and relative paths and different mode arguments for fopen() (r/w/a/r+/w+/a+), but nothing will work. Calling perror() or strerror() just gives me "No such file or directory.", which I know. Code that I know works fine on Linux results in the same problem on OS X. I think it must be a permissions issue, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I am trying to use fopen() in my C program to create and then open a file on my Mac, but it will not create the file. I've tried using both absolute and relative paths and different mode arguments for fopen() (r/w/a/r+/w+/a+), but nothing will work. Calling perror() or strerror() just gives me "No such file or directory.", which I know. Code that I know works fine on Linux results in the same problem on OS X. I think it must be a permissions issue, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
FILE* fp = fopen("data.dat","ab+");

;JOOP!

cqexbesd

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Germany

"No such file or directory" suggests you are trying to create the file in a location that doesn't exist. Maybe post a small piece of code that illustrates the problem. You will also need to say which user you are running as and the permissions on the the directory you are trying to create the file in (e.g. if the path you pass to fopen is /path/to/directory/file then post the output of ls -ld /path/to/directory).

Reactions: andy89

Senor Cuete

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Code:
#include <errno.h>

FILE *file;
char errorString[512];

errno = 0;
if((file = fopen(pathFileName, “whatever”)) == NULL)
   printf("Failed to open file. error %d\n, errno);
   perror(errorString);
   printf(“%s\n”, errorString);

If it fails to open/create a file the file pointer will be NULL. errno will contain an error code. perror will give you an error message.[/CODE]

C gives you the ability to test for errors and diagnose them. Most software is written like this. Not doSomething(), but if doSomething() fails, report error and take some action like exit(0).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.