Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
What happened to the good old days where a woman would just have sex with the headmaster to help her son get a leg up in school? ;)

(06-30) 06:40 PDT SALT LAKE CITY, (AP) -- For $10,000, Kari Smith has gone ahead and had her forehead tattooed with the Web address of a gambling site.

Smith, 30, of Bountiful, sold her unusual advertising space on eBay. She said the money will give her 11-year-old son a private education, which she believes he needs after falling behind in school.
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/06/30/national/a064000D81.DTL

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Don't panic said:
i would hope that at least it's not a permanent one

fromt he article, it seems like it is a real tattoo. That's insane. this woman is dumb not only for that, but because she'll soon realize 10,000 bucks just doesn't go very far, particularly for a private education. Sad, sad, sad.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
honestly if i were rich i would have put the 10,000 dollars down for her forehead to say something like "I love bananas"

or something else weird,

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
at least she didn't do it for drug money or tit enlargement or something. of all the reasons to do this, your kid is one of the best. And as she said, you only live once. Plus, within a few years, they'll have totally non-scarring removal, so people that say "tattoos are forever" might be proven wrong soon.

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Dang, she'd better hope that gambling house doesn't change its URL a few times, or her forehead is gonna end up looking like a console... :p

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
rainman::|:| said:
at least she didn't do it for drug money or tit enlargement or something. of all the reasons to do this, your kid is one of the best. And as she said, you only live once. Plus, within a few years, they'll have totally non-scarring removal, so people that say "tattoos are forever" might be proven wrong soon.

They do ... plastic surgery and skin grafting. But what will she have to do for the money to remove it?

What a ****ing idiot (she is); what happened to selling your soul?

Tattooing that on her forehead really teaches her kid that his mom's a moron; or so he'll come to find out after his tainted 'private education'. How long can he go to school for 10,000? I would assume this is only through middle or high school. What's she going to do for college?

What school is going to let her son in now? Im sure the wouldn't want her to come to school to pick him up. Gambling nor tattoos are appropriate for children. :)

peace | neut

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB

Attachments

• brainless.jpg
    brainless.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 88

zv470

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
Japan
That's disgusting.

What kind of role model is she?
$10,000?... that wouldn't pay for much of a private education. What is she going to sell next? Her son's forehead? Maybe she should have some more kids then she could make a fortune on foreheads? :eek: disgusting.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
To each their own. She have could have found something better to advertise than gambling. :eek:

I think that my favorite of the body advertising was the lady that was pregnant.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
What private school only costs $10,000? I would guess that that will cover 2 years - maximum. And at $5,000 a year it probably isn't a great school. Sad.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
one thing I'm confused by is if the tattoo shop spent 7 hour trying to talk her out of it (as the article says) than why would they agree to it at all? I mean if you've spent that long trying to stop her it seems you could put your foot down and say no. :rolleyes:

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
dornoforpyros said:
one thing I'm confused by is if the tattoo shop spent 7 hour trying to talk her out of it (as the article says) than why would they agree to it at all? I mean if you've spent that long trying to stop her it seems you could put your foot down and say no. :rolleyes:

It's not the tattoo shop's job to tell her what to think. The tattoo shop owner had a right to express his/her feelings about the situation and to try to make sure that the woman was making an informed decision, but I mean if she wants the tattoo then that's her business.

As far as all these people calling this woman stupid - she made a big time sacrifice and in the end the kid is going to remember the sacrifice itself a lot more than the fact that the tattoo is for an online gambling website.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Average lifespan of a woman in the US: 78 years
Current age of this lady: 30 years
Time on earth left with a website tattoo'd on her dome: 48 years

$10,000 / 48 years = $208.33 (repeating of course) / year

Nice. Good move.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
yellow said:
Average lifespan of a woman in the US: 78 years
Current age of this lady: 30 years
Time on earth left with a website tattoo'd on her dome: 48 years

$10,000 / 48 years = $208.33 (repeating of course) / year

Nice. Good move.

Ha, classic :D

And what happens if they get bought out and change their name?!?!?

That is absolutely nuts - and its not like you could hide it by wearing a hat, either. And to look at that every morning in the mirror.....bleh - I'm thinking she's going to soon realize that she screwed up.

D

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
She just could have privately gone and been a stripper for like 6 weeks at night when her son was sleeping and made the money without this ridiculous, permanent tattoo on her head.

i'd laugh my ass off if this kid decided he didn't want to go to college.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Mr. Anderson said:
And what happens if they get bought out and change their name?!?!?
I would sincerely hope that she is not under some sort of contract... She sold the dome-space on eBay, and they were the highest bidders, so I dont' think so... but Holy Crap. This woman is an idiot.

I'm not usually judgemental, and I'm a very tolerant person. The one thing that I can't stand is stupidity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.