Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geniuz

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2015
BAY AREA
Unfortunately, Apple has adopted the Android model for iOS. They are going to plow through their unpolished, unrefined and glitchy programming with horsepower. The only hope is 6s.

I am particularly bitter about this because it was the reason I left Android.

I feel the exact same way. You are spot on with everything. I left android because of this as well. Ever since iOS 7, I've seen the quality of the iPhone's software programming decline. I'd rather they get it right and take longer to release it to the public. Stability, smooth transitions, no lag, no stuttering is what the iPhone use to be. Now its closely resembling the glitch fest that is Android.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Go back to 8.4.1 while Apple is still signing it and feel the difference for yourselves!

After having 9.0 for a few days, it seems like it's better, but I think it's just because you get used to it... but when you go back to 8.4.1 you're BLOWN AWAY by how much more responsive and smooth it is. It doesn't take a second to respond, it's ready immediately and the animations are lag free (for the most part). I even think scrolling is smoother on 8.4.1.

.... now if only we didn't have this half-baked Music.app, it would be perfect.

Reactions: ovo6 and vertsix

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
Can you clarify "everywhere".

I've updated my iPhone 6+ via iTunes and am finding it hard to see lag or stutter. Believe me I'm trying. I'm swiping up down and everywhere like a madman to see any.

Opening up and closing apps produces none and the card switcher is fluid too. I don't use Transparency.

That's the reason your 6 Plus is perfectly fluid all the time. Try turning transparency on, and you'll notice stutter appearing. (Especially in the app switcher when entering an app and rotating keyboard in spotlight).

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Well after the debacle of iOS7 which was a bag of spanners for 8 or 9 months, and iOS8 that crawled out of the blocks riddled with bugs, Apple have their software reputation at stake with iOS9. They owe their loyal customers a damned good o/s and with the reputed 'performance improvements' marketing of iOS9 it should be better than 8.4.1 right from the start. Can anyone really be bothered with another year of lags, stutters, crashes and reloads etc? Seriously?

Anyone who's happy with this yearly cycle of crap is giving mediocrity a pat on the back.

Anyone who keeps buying iOS devices even though they're not satisfied is essentially banging their head into a brick wall and wondering why their head hurts.

Reactions: MecPro and CB1234

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Go back to 8.4.1 while Apple is still signing it and feel the difference for yourselves!

After having 9.0 for a few days, it seems like it's better, but I think it's just because you get used to it... but when you go back to 8.4.1 you're BLOWN AWAY by how much more responsive and smooth it is. It doesn't take a second to respond, it's ready immediately and the animations are lag free (for the most part). I even think scrolling is smoother on 8.4.1.

Tried it on one device and it feels the same. Another device does have some lag with iOS 9.0. So, as mentioned many times already, not everyone with all devices has a lag or other issues with iOS 9. Not sure how much more clear and obvious that could be.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
That's the reason your 6 Plus is perfectly fluid all the time. Try turning transparency on, and you'll notice stutter appearing. (Especially in the app switcher when entering an app and rotating keyboard in spotlight).

Hi

I've never used that feature since it became available. I'll stick to the performance I'm currently experiencing but thanks for the insight.

Reactions: jtrue28 and TommyA6

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I had a feeling that when Tim Cook originally said iOS 9 would be a speed and stability update...that he was full of crap. I am no longer trusting anything that Apple's salesman-CEO says. We are now in the era of not being able to trust OS updates to not ruin the fluid experience. Very dissapointing.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
ios9 on the iphone 6 has been fantastic for me. Get past the first day with icloud backup and spotlight indexing. Very impressed.

Do people still believe this "Spotlight indexing" like believe it really makes a difference?

Why when you downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 does it immediately feel smoother and more responsive. Immediately, not after "Spotlight indexing", but immediately.

I think this "indexing" stuff is just another iOS old wives tale.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
I really want to upgrade because of the content blockers, but 8.4.1 runs so smooth for me. I'm going to be really pissed off if I start seeing Android type lag on my 6. I think I'll wait until my friends do it first and see how it runs on theirs lol

Reactions: AAPLGeek

Man on the moon

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Los Angeles
I really want to upgrade because of the content blockers, but 8.4.1 runs so smooth for me. I'm going to be really pissed off if I start seeing Android type lag on my 6. I think I'll wait until my friends do it first and see how it runs on theirs lol

Don't do it.

That is exactly what you will encounter. I went back to 8.4.1 and all is well now.

Reactions: AAPLGeek

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Do people still believe this "Spotlight indexing" like believe it really makes a difference?

Why when you downgrade to iOS 8.4.1 does it immediately feel smoother and more responsive. Immediately, not after "Spotlight indexing", but immediately.

Exactly. Downgrading (upgrading) to iOS 8.4.1 feels fluid right out of the gate.

Do you think Apple turned down the processor and graphics speed to conserve battery on iOS 9 (even when low power mode is off)?

NayborAxi

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Can you clarify "everywhere".

I've updated my iPhone 6+ via iTunes and am finding it hard to see lag or stutter. Believe me I'm trying. I'm swiping up down and everywhere like a madman to see any.

Opening up and closing apps produces none and the card switcher is fluid too. I don't use Transparency.

well i updated from 8.4 with all my stuff in it maybe you don't see it because you started from scratch? I might have to do the same phone is laggy where you notice it right away.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida

its a real thing. Though the indexing should be low priority, Spotlight indexes need to be rebuilt when ios updates add needed data to their schema. IOS9 introduced app-level indexing as well, so possible apps can interject into the slowness of the indexing process. It could be downgrading does not impact if ios9 only added indexed items. I don't know why 8.4.1 did not need to re-index.

As an aside, I have much faster response in 9 than 8.4.1, not sure what you are seeing or why. Could be app backgrounding or something? My ios 9 is significantly better.

Callsignvibe

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015
its a real thing. Though the indexing should be low priority, Spotlight indexes need to be rebuilt when ios updates add needed data to their schema. IOS9 introduced app-level indexing as well, so possible apps can interject into the slowness of the indexing process. It could be downgrading does not impact if ios9 only added indexed items. I don't know why 8.4.1 did not need to re-index.

As an aside, I have much faster response in 9 than 8.4.1, not sure what you are seeing or why. Could be app backgrounding or something? My ios 9 is significantly better.

No it's not. It really isn't

Reactions: RebornProphet

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Air 2. Within the last week, iOS 9 PB3, iOS 9.1 PB1, iOS 8.4.1. Unless Apple slowed the public version of 9.0 way down, the only difference I find is the responsiveness of the touchscreen. Multi-finger gestures in the 9.0 beta were very uncertain (i.e., didn't necessarily work at all). Other than that, 8.4.1 is nothing special. 9.1 actually looks incredibly promising (better battery life).

Callsignvibe

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2015

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas

I'm gonna.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Exactly. Downgrading (upgrading) to iOS 8.4.1 feels fluid right out of the gate.

Do you think Apple turned down the processor and graphics speed to conserve battery on iOS 9 (even when low power mode is off)?
Interestingly, benchmarks are considerably lower here on my 5s with 9.0 compared to 8.4.1.

So yes, that could be a possibility.

It's 1402, 2561 for reference on iOS 8.4.1.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 124

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
I find it funny how everything on my mini 2 lags when on ios 9 but the CC. Control Center does not lag at all on mini 2, it's buttery smooth, smoother than ios 8 actually.

Probably has to do with iOS 9 and Metal. Issues similar here on my 5s.

But the Mini 2 has the A7, right? Interesting.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013

So if all this indexing is done, why is iOS 8.4.1 noticeably quicker from the off when it too does this indexing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.