force os x mail to display address book name

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swingerofbirch, Jul 19, 2006.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    A friend who sends me e-mails has their name show up as their initials. I added the person to my address book and entered their full name. How can I get mail to display this name in the from part of the message and under the columns instead of the initials? Thanks.

2. newtonuk macrumors member

newtonuk

I don't think you can.

It's down to the sender of the email to configure their name as it appears in the From section.

I've been frustrated with this as well, sometimes it looks as though the information is coming from Address Book which made me thought that it was.

However, I have since been proven incorrect when the sender changed his name!

3. sinbushar macrumors regular

4. kellah macrumors regular

This is one thing that has always annoyed me in Mail as well. I love everything else. I know Thunderbird in Windows will replace their name with whatever you have in your address book. I would imagine the OSX version of Thunderbird does as well if you want to try that? Meanwhile I guess I'll just wait for Apple to add the feature to display the address book name.

5. phinnaeus macrumors member

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Wow, I spend like six hours redoing my address book from scratch thinking there was some bug in it, but NO.

Arghghhgh