Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kofman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2009
Mac studio M1 Max, Monterey 12.7.2. Two external displays. Main display is a 240hz Acer Gsync module gaming display. connected via Displayport>Usb C adapter. (issue persists with HDMI connection too). I have issues i won't get into but it's all caused when the monitor in system/display settings is set to Refresh Rate: Variable (1hz-240hz). when i switch it to a fixed refresh rate like 240hz all problems go away. The only issue is that everytime the monitor wakes up either if its the Mac booting up for the first time, or the monitor waking up from sleep when the mac turns off display, it ALWAYS switches back to the default Variable mode and not the fixed refresh rate i set it to.
Is there any way to make it remember, or third party app that can lock it or automatically change it to whatever settings i want everytime it wakes? So far ive tried SwitchResX. The monitor will still switch to Variable upon wake in both system settings and SwitchResX. But at least SwitchResX makes it a little easier to manually switch to fixed refresh rate since it has a quick icon in the top menu bar. But i still have to do this everytime the monitor wakes. I made a hotkey shortcut for switch res x which loads my refresh rate settings instantly. but again, i have to do it myself everytime the monitor wakes. Is there any other fixes known? I just need MacOS to remember the settings and stop defaulting. I know it stems from some compatibility between M1 and this monitor because my other brand monitor doesnt have these issues. I just need a workaround that sticks and is automatic.

supremegopher

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2020
I know it has been a couple months since you posted this but I was having an issue with my displays swapping places every time I woke up the monitor (single monitor with picture-by-picture for 4 inputs). Maybe this will fix your problem too as it might be related. I went to System Preferences -> Displays -> Advanced -> Clicked "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off".

That's the only way I've found to prevent my issue and since it's display settings related, I figured it might work for you. It seems Macs have trouble remembering display settings after going to sleep. Stupid that I have to prevent my Mac from going to sleep to fix the issue but it's not a huge deal for me.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I realize this is sort of a gonzo solution, but have you just considered swapping the displays? For some reason, sometimes hardware just prefers a particular port, and a particular display to be the display on the left and you can force it to be the display on the right BUT every once in a while, it will reset and go to the left. Ultimately just switching the displays (and not switching the connection to the computer) just makes life easier.

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
had the same problem as Kidman, did what Supremegopher suggested, and as a result, no more monitor problems.

Ladd

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2014
Maybe this will fix your problem too as it might be related. I went to System Preferences -> Displays -> Advanced -> Clicked "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off".
I have three displays (middle=Alienware 34", left=LG 5K, right=Apple 5K) and the screen content on the left and right monitors switches sides every now an then. Following your suggestion, I went to System Preferences/Displays/Advanced and unfortunately, there appears to be no setting for "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off".

I am running Sonoma 14.4. Might this setting be hiding somewhere else?

Eduardot

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
1711493109916.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.