Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
I wonder if it will work but since it senses light it seems like it will be no problem

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Yes no problem

Apple watch has force touch and it works on that with screen protector.

Hmm this concerns me, too. How about glass screen protectors?

I know there are glass screen protectors for the Nintendo 3DS, but only for the top screen. Screen protector kits come with a film protector for the bottom screen, probably because it is resistive touch. But would that also apply to force touch/3D touch? Sent from my iPad.

LKN

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Yorkshire
To be honest not sure about glass ones, i rarely use glass ones anyway prefer the normal ones.

Best to wait and see, but i guess it should as 3D touch is pressure sensitive right?? It recognises the pressure you put on the screen if thats so then it shouldnt be an issue.

kshen1

Cancelled
Oct 7, 2013
Haven't seen a thread on this so I apologize in advance if it's already been made..

Do you guys think there will be any issue with Tempered Glass Screen Protectors and the iPhone 6S? More specifically, will it impact the new 3D touch in any way?

I know that nobody here knows for sure, I just wanted to hear everybody's thoughts.

MikesGravity

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Southeast MI
I wonder if the tempered glass screen protectors that a lot of people use will interfere with 3D Touch or whatever they officially called it? Possibly registering as some force and throwing off the whole thing?

Maybe this will be the 6S "gate"

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I think it's a possibility, but both pieces of glass are pliable. I think that adding another piece of glass on top would increase the overall rigidity adding to less precise force touches, or just harder presses needed in general. It probably won't matter too much in the end though as people will realize whether they use force touch or not within a week or so, and adjust accordingly.

Reactions: Glideslope

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
I'm concerned about this possible issue as well. Would love for a early reviewer to point out how glass screen protectors play with the new 3D Touch..

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
^^^you sure about that

the force touch glass is pliable, a rigid glass protector will distribute force across a wider, less specific part of the screen and i could see that messing it up

But considering the pliablility of a screen protector compared to the pliability of glass, I doubt the force distribution will be significant enough to notice.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Because it can still scratch?

Might as well go caseless as well since they "beefed up" the aluminum too! ;)

I already do, so why not. I've gone caseless and no screen protector on all my iPhones since the 3g (then 4, 5 and 6.) not once have I had any damage or scratches to the glass or phone. No need to baby a phone in bubble wrap.

dogg

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Scotland
If micro scratches can appear on sapphire I guess the same for the glass screen. Bodyguardz are sending out emails saying their screen protector are ready to ship for the S.

JXShine

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2015
good question; I have been wondering too

I think the thinner ones won't have a problem. The thicker ones like the iMos might interfere with 3D Touch. That's my guess

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
While true, it's also safer to wear coverall's over your brand new tux every time you go out, or put a plastic slip cover over your sofa, etc., etc.

Each to his own.

True true, although maybe if everyone upgraded their Tux and Sofa as often as they do their phone they might take better care of it for resale value?

On the flip side you could say a certain *ahem* "physical activity" feels better without protection... but its definitely not as safe as having your stuff covered up ;):p:D

As you said though, to each his own!

Last edited:
Reactions: scapegoat81
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.