Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkingsheltie

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
Thousand Oaks
Computer/Software industry has spoiled us a bit.

And while arguably, the modern, auto infotainment systems should offer some key updates, and probably be consistent with software industry in terms of frequency, obviously many of these auto companies are old school. Of course, Tesla is a major exception.

I recently bought 2015 Honda EX-L Accord; not only was it supposed to come with Siri Eyes Free, there were strong suggestions Car play would be retroactive. Sadly, Carplay is only available with newer 2016 models.

Most dealers are clueless whether Siri Eyes free is available for this car - however, it is for 2013, 14, and generally dealers know this. Honda apparently never released wide-spread tech bulletins to this effect, for 2015. Odd they would downgrade something that previously was available.
I had to install this myself, downloading software from Honda tech site. That's simply ridiculous. Software also has latency problems, and overall I would give it a "C". Since many of us spend so much time in our cars, the modern electronics/radio/smart phone compatibility is not trivial.

Kudos to Ford for stepping out from the pack like this.

kmil

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
Love this update. Took me about 30 minutes. One thing I loved about having a Windows phone was the ability to read back texts. Once I went back to iOS, I lost that feature. Ford has really stepped it up with this update. Makes me enjoy my car a little bit more.

This is not an issue with iOS. The feature you are describing is called Bluetooth MAP. On your iOS device under the Bluetooth pairing with SYNC you have to turn on "Show Notifications"

kmil

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2013
Well strangely for just over a week now my iPhone has been displaying text messages on my UK 2015 Ford Fiesta. Before now it never displayed them and if I tried to activate the feature in the settings it would say that my device was not compatible. I have not tried eyes free Siri, will try it when I am back home.

I never took my car for an update - one day it just started working. I was putting it down to an iOS update, now I am thinking there must have been some OTA update to Sync - is that possible?

The feature you described to receive text messages is called Bluetooth MAP. It is not related to this update.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Tesla sends out software updates for the entire car on a regular basis. A few months ago they sent out a software update that adjusted the logic that the electric motors used that boosted the range by 20%. Last month they turned on autopilot on existing cars, which meant that overnight people's cars learned to drive and park themselves.

So it's cute that Ford thinks updating the software on its entertainment console is a big deal.

I'm not dealing with any crap from the auto industry anymore. I'm driving my Buick until it breaks down, trading it in as scrap metal, and getting a Tesla.

To be fair, the Tesla AutoPilot update was not turned on for all existing cars. Owners had to either buy it in advance for $2,500, or they can buy it now for $3,000 and have it enabled over the air. Really, it's sort of like a mega In-App Purchase. Still better than all other car companies.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I'll take a BMW 4 w/o Siri Eyes over a fully loaded Mustang every day, all day. BMW isn't about value. You understand that going in. You also understand you buy a BMW for the way it drives. If you think yours was "useless" when you drove out you bought the wrong car for you, that's all.

That said annual map updates are now included with all Bimmers. Also they include maintenance - oil change, wiper replacement, brakes, etc which Ford does not.

Are now included? They weren't in 2013 when I bought the thing! :) Glad BMW smarted up :)

MLMcMillion

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2012
Arkansas, USA
Installed this update today. I wish I didn't have to hold the button for a full 3 seconds (I'd rather Siri just replace the Ford voice recognition system), but I sent a couple of text messages with no problem.

It also renewed my hope a little bit. I had assumed Ford was just ditching us, since this is the first software update my 2013 Explorer has seen since August of 2013.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Love this update. Took me about 30 minutes. One thing I loved about having a Windows phone was the ability to read back texts. Once I went back to iOS, I lost that feature. Ford has really stepped it up with this update. Makes me enjoy my car a little bit more.
How do you even install the update?

ReL1988

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2014
i live outside the USA, how do i get this update? i must enter an american zip code :\ and american car details.

Darn it

cduff

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2015
How do you even install the update?

You need to go to owner.ford.com and register your vehicle, then there will be a link to the sync update.

Download the update to a USB drive, then put USB drive into your vehicle, start it up, grab a coffee and wait 30 or so minutes until it is all complete.

This update is great...asked Siri for the weather forecast on my morning drive, then told it what songs to play...I didn't have to speak that crazy Sync language to get it all to work :D

Reactions: tgara

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think karlrmac is talking about CarPlay.

Anyway, what car do you have? I was able to install Siri Eyes Free on my Accord a year and a half ago. My dealer didn't know anything about the update so I did it myself. I can dig up the instructions somewhere. You do need access to either a Windows laptop or have Windows installed on your MacBook via Bootcamp or something.

I have a 2013 Accord Touring. Same issue, dealer had no clue. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, but read that I need some HDS software which I don't have. You have a copy of that application?

kghoops

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2009
Happy as a clam here! I'm loving the update in my 2012 F-150 just for the simple fact that my Bluetooth music streaming will now show the Artist and Title of what's playing. Whoop!

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I installed the update on 2011 Explorer and it works as expected. However, I only get notifications for texts/messages. Before the update I would still get lock screen and sound notifications for all I have set on my iPhone. Now I get nothing on the lock screen..... doesn't even activate or light up. With Siri you can have it read emails but if you don't know you have any while connected/driving it doesn't help. Any settings to change this behavior?

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Working very well in my Ford Edge Sport. I just wish it was the default option now. I will get use to holding for 3 seconds though.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
Happy as a clam here! I'm loving the update in my 2012 F-150 just for the simple fact that my Bluetooth music streaming will now show the Artist and Title of what's playing. Whoop!

my 2011 Fusion now does that too which is nice but I can't figure out how to activate Siri from the steering wheel button. It keeps going to the sync voice and only accepts bluetooth audio commands. any tips?

I installed the update on 2011 Explorer and it works as expected. However, I only get notifications for texts/messages. Before the update I would still get lock screen and sound notifications for all I have set on my iPhone. Now I get nothing on the lock screen..... doesn't even activate or light up. With Siri you can have it read emails but if you don't know you have any while connected/driving it doesn't help. Any settings to change this behavior?

try enabling notifications under the ios bluetooth settings for your paired vehicle maybe

Last edited by a moderator:

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
try enabling notifications under the ios bluetooth settings for your paired vehicle maybe

Sorry that's the first thing I tried. All that does is permit Ford's Sync to notify when a text/message is received. Nothing to do with Siri

daye

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
I just checked the Ford Portal and it says no update is available for me. I have a 2014 Ford F-150 XLT. The portal says my software is up-to-date.

Anybody else have this problem?

I have the same problem with my 2013 Fusion (basic sync) called ford and was told this update will not available for basic sync version . If you have the bigger touch screen sync version, you should be fine . Want to call them to complain about it.

Anyway, with hey Siri, I canal ready do most of the things I need to do .

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
thankfully I won't have to yell at my truck anymore to call my wife. so annoying.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Shame this doesn't work for "Gen 1". Ford's naming convention is weird. Both of my Ford's are 2014 models (Focus SE, Mustang Premium Convertible), but both have "Gen 1" Sync. "MyFordTouch" is Gen 2 I suppose. And unfortunately, this doesn't work with Gen 1. And Gen 1, even on my 2014 model year cars, is still the same 2008 spec 400MHz paltry system that has awful audio quality (not really usable for hands-free calling), etc.

I knew this ahead of time and I did not buy either car for the Sync system (and it's a principle reason why I didn't fork over the money for the MyFordTouch system). But the Sync system definitely is rough around the edges.

kghoops

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2009
my 2011 Fusion now does that too which is nice but I can't figure out how to activate Siri from the steering wheel button. It keeps going to the sync voice and only accepts bluetooth audio commands. any tips?

I'm not sure mine is working 100% either. If I hold the steering wheel button down for 3 seconds, it's the same voice as just pressing it. I can't tell if the voice sounds different than the previous sync voice or not. I was able to get mine to read a text message and reply but I had never tried it previously so I don't know if that's a new feature or not.

I know I had to say certain commands or it wouldn't understand. "Read text message" was one of them I believe. I need to play around with it more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.